Charles Fischer

Spring Portal Transfer Period Already Becoming Bizarre...

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

1000004310-jpg.543316

Mr. FishDuck

OK...now this is FUNNY!

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

200.gif

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Proctor best not visit a Proctologist in Iowa. 

Bama is showing DeBoer $10.5M per annum and I guess that The Tide's war chest is bigger than the Hawkeyes war chest.

I wonder how much more money the young man scored with his head fake? 

I am happy that athletes can capitalize off of their own NIL, including Caitlin schilling for State Farm, but out-of-control free agency? I don't believe unrestrained NIL is sustainable. At least not sustainable for many of the 134 G5 and P4 schools. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/20/2024 at 8:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

am happy that athletes can capitalize off of their own NIL, including Caitlin schilling for State Farm, but out-of-control free agency? I don't believe unrestrained NIL is sustainable. At least not sustainable for many of the 134 G5 and P4 schools. 

This here is EXACTLY why the NFL will, sooner than later, become involved legally with all that is going on in college...er...NFL-Lite.  I cannot see them allowing another league to "compete" with the NFL while NOT having the controls in place, to create parity, that the NFL does.

"Superteams" is what the NFL has tried to temper and won't let these "young whippersnappers" come in and do exactly that, drawing fans and dollars away from the parity driven NFL.

Said it before.  Don't mess with the  Billionaires, revenue driven, league.  You WILL get burned!

Just saying.  🤔

You see this right here is what should not be allowed to happen, you made a choice now stick to it, in the NFL you can't sign on the dotted line during free agency and then call backsies after making the move.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

No control over NIL in the NFL as such would be illegal as the NCAA learned the hard way. But the League does, of course, have agreed upon restraints on free agency and a 'rookie' pay scale.

The agreement is between the owners and the players union. In CFB which entity will represent 'management' and what will a union look like when the best players are gone after three seasons on campus? CFB will shrink into a Super League; Puddles will be a player but lots of questions remain to be answered. 

• Applause 1

This episode is certainly the darker side of the wild west of the portal and NIL. It really sucks from the Hawkeye perspective but may even be an issue down the line for DeBoer and Bama given how squirrely this looks for Proctor's character. 

The Oregon upside is that the Ducks had some interest in him out of the portal. It could have been OBD with facial egg instead of Iowa. No one needs that kind of locker room drama.

Not that Proctor would have been a critical get as the Ducks are just fine at OT this year, thank you very much. He wouldn't necessarily have turned the miserable Hawkeye offense around either, but he is talented and now not a problem for B1G DCs to scheme for.

I'll look forward to Josh Pate's prediction about more portal lunacy to come.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe this is why he did not go with Oregon? Because our coaches set a standard looking for commitment and effort that they did not sense coming from him?

Or his NIL price was too high? Another indication…?

I am glad that we have escaped that kind of drama thus far. Thanks Dan!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

"Bizarre" is likely an understatement. No restrictions whatsoever on players transferring twice. Proctor is probably only the first of the guys who 'committed' in winter and will be gone in the spring. 

I'm hoping we will not see this about-face with Dante Moore and other transfers who via their agent and other third parties, if not directly contacted, are no doubt being pursued by poachers.

THEATHLETIC.COM

When you lift all restrictions on transfers in college sports, this is what happens.

This is why as a fan, I’ve evolved to not getting remotely attached to any names on the roster until August.

Macro recruiting? Absolutely. Details of individual players? Nope.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is insane!  Now NIL deals with have more strings attached and time of service elements.  Then new NIL deals will have to buyout old NIL deals.

No wonder student athletes weren't allowed to previously hire agents.  These agents have nothing better to do than constantly shop their clients around as they do with coaches.  In the old world, once you hired an agent, you were no longer an amateur athlete and disqualified from college athletics.

Edited by mikethehiker