QuackAttack

Was This Dana’s Best Coaching?

With the number of injuries UO has had this season, this is arguably Dana Altman’s best season coaching. Like he said, I’m not done yet

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you look at the roster it is pretty astounding.

What is also amazing is Couisnard's stats, he put the team on his back and carried them to the second round.

• Go Ducks! 1

On the one hand, it mostly seems like this is basically just what Altman is capable of. And the magic comes when what he is capable of meets what his team is capable of.

On the other, I'm just the biggest Dana Altman homer I know.  He was my plan A when he was Oregon's plan D or F, or something.

Izzo?  The guy was born in northern Michigan, played at Northen Michigan and has been the coach at Michigan State since Noah was building a boat.  Ok, only since '95.  But I'm of an age that I think it was yesterday, instead of almost 30 years ago. But we were willing to give the guy our first born, the sun, the moon? I don't know. I do know that I think Uncle Phil wanted him pretty badly.

Who else was on the short list?  Kruger? I don't know. I can't remember.  I've had a couple of cocktails this evening. But after firing Ernie Kent (who was awsome in his time) the Ducks seemed to need a "big name".  As an aside, the best coaching job I've ever seen on the Oregon sideline belongs to Jerry Green against UCLA my first year. The Ducks had no business playing against a team like UCLA, but Green used time outs to strategically stop all Bruin runs and won the game by a point or two as I sat in the second section instead of the student section (I don't know why). Basically, I spent the final minute praying that the Pit didn't implode on top of me. But I digress..........

I just remember seeing Dana at the bottom of the "possibles".  But I DEFINITELY knew about Creighton.  I had seen them play. I knew they were kind of the Gonzaga of the mid-west.  

I'd like to expound more, but I need to go to bed.  All I'm gonna say before I do is that if Dana Altman isn't inducted to the the next hall of fame ballot is that it's a conspiracy. The NFL is fixed. Rock 'n Roll, hall of fame, all of it is fixed.  

This man is as good as a basketball coach gets.

You heard him last year.  If he's not good enough for us he'll go somewhere else. He'll coach JC basketball if he has to. Somewhere out there are the "gym rats" that he needs to put together a winning team.

Name me greater coaches in Oregon history............

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kudos to Dana for constantly talking about the importance of leadership.   Good coaches cultivate and develop team leaders.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dana should have been in the MASH cast with Hot Lips, Radar, Hawkeye, and Trapper John. There's the injury bug and then there is the injury swarm.

The D yesterday baffled USC(e) and the Gamecocks coach. Being hot for the conference tournament and The Tournament is peaking at exactly the right time.

Hats off to Wazzu for earning some money all on its own. 

On 3/22/2024 at 9:08 AM, Charles Fischer said:

If Dana is a great coach, he pulled him off to the side after the celebration and said "Don't kid yourself, you can and need to play like this every game going forward, because this is what you are capable of every time you step on the floor."