Thomallister1291

The Future Schedules: Only Cupcakes?

Well, today I was browsing through r/CFB and I found a rather shocking post involving Ole Miss' future schedules, their AD said that not all currently scheduled games are going to stick, and despite not saying it outright, it's believed that the home and home series involving U$C that was set to begin in 2025 will most likely be cancelled.

What does it mean for the rest of the FBS? I'm still praying that Oregon doesn't go the easy way and keeps scheduling cupcakes for every season, I'm still eager we get to see a regular season Oregon vs. a random SEC team game someday.

In addition to 9 B1G games, USC is currently scheduled to play:

2025:  Ole Miss, Georgia Southern, at Notre Dame

2026:  Fresno St, at Ole Miss, Notre Dame

Ole Miss 2026:  at Charlotte, USC, Georgia State, Eastern Kentucky - and 8 SEC teams

Ole Miss 2027:  Oregon State

Ole Miss 2030:  at Oregon State - anybody think that won't become a buyout?

Ole Miss' P4 opponent in 2024 is a game at Wake Forest. For Mizzou, the P4 opponent is Boston College.

On the other hand, in 2024 Texas plays at Michigan. and Bama plays at Wisconsin. Florida in 2024 plays Miami and Florida State. Georgia opens against Clemson and plays Georgia Tech. SC plays LSU and Notre Dame.

In 2025, Michigan plays the first of a H+H series vs. Oklahoma. Ohio State in 2025 begins a H+H series with Texas, followed in 2027 and 2028 with a H+H series vs Bama. Doesn't get much B1Gger OOC than these games. 

Oregon from 2025 through 2028 plays B12 opponents OK State and Baylor.

Which is the better way to go? Until we see the playoff committee value strength of schedule and not just wins, and with 9 conference games in the B1G and a 10th game if you play in the champ game, how much is there to gain from playing top 10 opponents OOC? 9 B1G opponents will provide a decent SOS. 

In 2024, 2026, and 2027, Oregon plays both Michigan and Ohio State and plays UW every year. Add a P4 opponent, or play 3 G5 teams like Michigan did the last two seasons and Ohio State is doing in 2024?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wish some random staff member would make an article discussing Oregon's future schedule options, directly giving Rob Mullens ideas for home and homes and discuss if we should keep playing Oregon State.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Ducks should play games that make sense. In the long run those scheduled games must be in Oregon's best interest.

Playing the Beavers is a no win situation for OBD's. When the Ducks win it will be expected. A loss to the pigs(beavers) could cost the Ducks an invite.

The BIG schedule is sufficient enough. 10 wins may not be as easy as some on this Forum think. Mid to late November road games in the upper midwest can be played in conditions that cannot be duplicated in the mild wesy coasy climate.

The Ducks should schedule light in OOC games for the next few years.  See how these young men play on the road in November.

The goal is the CFP. September games are for conditioning and no Natty is is won. In the new system. If you dont get a bye, you will need to beat 4 top 12 teams to claim the Natty.

Isnt that difficult enough?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/28/2024 at 8:36 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

The Ducks should schedule light in OOC games for the next few years.  See how these young men play on the road in November.

Absolutely. Going forward, we should always schedule relatively light OOC games.  

What's good for the SEC, should also be good for Oregon. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 3/29/2024 at 1:19 PM, Desert Duck said:

Absolutely. Going forward, we should always schedule relatively light OOC games.  

What's good for the SEC, should also be good for Oregon. 

DD, I don't disagree with your point regarding scheduling, but several SEC teams are stepping up their OOC schedules.

2024 - Florida vs Miami and Florida State; Bama on the road vs Wisconsin; Texas on the road vs. Michigan; Georgia vs Clemson and an improving Georgia Tech; Mississippi State at ASU; LSU vs USC and UCLA; and A+M vs Notre Dame. 

Texas plays Ohio State in 2025 and 2026. Bama plays Ohio State in 2027 and 2028. Oklahoma plays Michigan in 2025 and 2026 before Michigan plays the return game in 2027 vs. Texas.  

Mizzou and Ole Miss are doing their best to keep cupcake factories open but not all SEC teams are doing the same. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree with many, our goal should be to go undefeated through the last games of the season. 

Not sure playing a tough early schedule will allow you to get to those last few games.

The goal should be to get into and win the championship, end strong.

For a long time the SEC has played 8 conference games, and a patsy late in the season. I never heard them speak to needing to play 9 conference games and get rid of the patsy because that is what the Pac-12 did. They did what it took to win the title, end of story.

I couldn't care less what others are doing. The Ducks need to do what they need to do to win it all!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, looks like Georgia and UCLA will do the same thing Ole Miss and USC did...

Goodbye, my hopes for Alabama vs. Oregon...

UGA/UCLA off. Mutual decision or is one side paying the other something to bail?

UGA plays Georgia Tech every season and GT is improving. This season UGA plays Clemson and GT. 

Not that long ago Michigan backed out of a series with UCLA and both played OOC dog meat in 2022 and 2023. Ohio State is feeding at the Canine Bowl in 2024 but starts a series with TX next season and a series with Bama in 2027.

Unless the PO Committee gives weight to SOS why play tough games OOC? Especially the next 2 seasons when the ACC and B12 champs no matter how poorly they are ranked will be in the top 4 seeds. IMO it's too bad that for two seasons CFB is stuck with a PO format that made sense when the Pac-12 was viable but not today even with the change from 6-5 to 5-7.

Using the Vegas (FabDuel) PO odds to determine the top 25, No. 12 Clemson and No.19 K State would be rewarded with 1st round byes. No. 3 Texas and No. 4 Oregon would play 1st round games. Senseless. 

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

2024 - Florida vs Miami and Florida State; Bama on the road vs Wisconsin; Texas on the road vs. Michigan; Georgia vs Clemson and an improving Georgia Tech; Mississippi State at ASU; LSU vs USC and UCLA; and A+M vs Notre Dame. Texas plays Ohio State in 2025 and 2026. Bama plays Ohio State in 2027 and 2028. Oklahoma plays Michigan in 2025 and 2026 before Michigan plays the return game in 2027 vs. Texas.  

Most of those are in the same Time Zone which seems to be a big factor for the top SEC teams.

LSU at USC, MSU at ASU are not same time zone.  Kudos to Miss State - it's not the first time they've gone on the road.  LSU has played Oregon 4 times:  2--1 at home, 1-0 neutral.  All in the same Time Zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

For this Duck fan, I have always wanted to see OBD's play OOC games against the top ranked teams.

Those games provided a measuring stick for where the Ducks program was in any given season. OBD's were fighting to gain and maintain national recognition.

Those days are gone as soon as the first kickoff in 2024. For me, if we want to play Georgia, Bama, LSU, Texas, Clemson or Oklahoma, we must make the CFP.........

Pause for a moment and consider that in any year, during the CFP, we could face any 4 of those schools to win the Natty. 

Don't forget we have to face the likes of tOSU, Michigan,PSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, Wahington, USC and Ucla in any given season. A few of those teams we may face in the CFP, too..

Is it better to face them power houses OOC or during CFP?

To get into the final 11, plus Liberty, its better to be ranked in the top 10 before conference games begin. Any season, if Oregon starts conference play 2-1 then the Ducks will not be ranked in the Top 12.

The Ducks will need to finish no less than 8-1 in conference play to reach the BIG title game. Then play a Top 5 team in the BIG title game.

Bottom line, this fan feels, in any given year the Ducks will be 7-2 in conference. They best be 3-0 OOC!

No 9-3 Duck team may get an invite!

Missouri and MSU are smart to schedule 4 cupcakes OOC. They cannot beat the SEC powerhouses and get into their conference title game. They are playing for 3rd place to get their invite.

For us fans smart OOC scheduling is critical. There will be at least 2 Top 10 games on our schedule each season. And 3 or 4 more during the CFP.

We are now in the Power 2 division of CF. There will be plenty of top level opponents to play every year.

Be penny wise or a pound foolish? Which process gets a CFP invite.

GO DUCKS

Happy Easter weekend to all.....

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Happy, great take.

Mizzou with two preseason top 25 teams on its schedule, at Bama and vs. Oklahoma, is running a slight SOS risk if several other teams in the SEC, and the B1G in particular, finish 10-2. 

It is a 5/7 format but no matter how lowly ranked at the season's end by the committee, 3 spots will be taken by the ACC and B12 champs and the G5 representative. How many SEC teams will the committee place in the playoff? Mizzou in several top 25 forecasts is ranked behind, UGA, TX, Bama, Ole Miss, LSU, and Tennessee. 

I agree with your assessment; especially, with everyone clueless regarding the committee's view on SOS with a 12-team field. 

For a G5 opponent and in consideration of the travel in the B1G, IMO a perfect P4 opponent would be Cal or Stanford. 

• Thanks 1

Notice the absence of B1G teams on this list of 2024's easiest schedules.

247SPORTS.COM

Go ahead and pencil in a bowl berth for these teams based on scheduling.

5 ACC teams (keep playing 8 conference games, right?), 4 B12 teams, and 1 SEC team 

Edited by Jon Joseph

Here's 247's take on the 15 most difficult schedules in 2024.

247SPORTS.COM

Several national championship contenders have a gauntlet to prepare for in 2024.

9 SEC teams, 5 B1G teams, and 1 ACC team on this list. Zero B12 teams.

I don’t see any pack 2 teams on the list.

• Haha 1

Ik I'm on the minority here, but I'm sure that the expanded playoffs will actually make good OOC games even more common, not completely destroy them, the reasons are pretty simple since those playoffs will be much larger than before, if the 4-team playoffs still existed then I would understand why people wouldn't want any challenging OOC games

I would honestly LOVE for our schedules to be like this: A rotating game against an ex-Pac-12 foe (ex. Utah or one of the Arizona schools), a P4 game against such teams like Alabama or Kansas State and a cupcake.

I spoke with an Oregon user named Mateo Pablo and he also believes the same thing.