Annie

I Still Don't Understand How WSU & OSU Can Take the PAC-12 Money

Could someone please explain? I mean, all the teams are still in the PAC-12 until the last PAC-12 game in any sport is played, right?

So, why can wsu and osu do what they are doing? (And keep it simple for me, please. 😄 )

On 4/1/2024 at 1:23 PM, Annie said:

Could someone please explain? I mean, all the teams are still in the PAC-12 until the last PAC-12 game in any sport is played, right?

So, why can wsu and osu do what they are doing? (And keep it simple for me, please. 😄 )

I’m probably not the best person to explain this, but as I understand it at the most basic level, the language used when announcing all departures forfeited the voting rights of everyone leaving the conference, “immediately” putting the PIG2 in control of all conference decisions.

A technicality for a bylaw that IMO was designed for a single school leaving, not 10. 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 1:53 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I’m probably not the best person to explain this, but as I understand it at the most basic level, the language used when announcing all departures forfeited the voting rights of everyone leaving the conference, “immediately” putting the PIG2 in control of all conference decisions.

A technicality for a bylaw that IMO was designed for a single school leaving, not 10. 

Ah, thank you!

To simplify may be a challenge because the attempt to get something ($$) for nothing lives in the legal world of smoke screens. Complication and convolution are the friends of legal minds whereas simplicity is their enemy. However, it does seem to boil down to one word: theft.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There have been tons of posts and tons of articles posted about this over the last six months.  I cannot rewrite all of it along with all the ramifications, and impacts down the road as has been discussed at length already.

And, I cannot explain it
again without....

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

Annie, it's because the Pac-12 10 departees although saddles with over 80% of the conference's liabilities decided not to litigate the matter beyong losing in state court in Washington with the decision affirmed by a Washington state court of appeals.

A number of remedies were and are in in the mix. Especially a filing for Pac-12 liquidation in bankruptcy court.  The "settlement" woula Perferance for the Pac-2 and distribution of revenue would be stayed until the court ruled on the departing 10's plan of liquidation. 

The acamedicians who destroyed the Pac-12 confernce followed suit with tucking tail and leaving millions of dollars in revenues behind. Money that could for example, be used to retain assistant coaches offered better salaries by competitors. 

If fans were shareholders Pac-10 management would be facing a suit for breach of fiduciary duty and thrown off of the 'Board of Directors."

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

* Because they're victims. The other meanies got tired of playing in the alley with the broken glass strewn everywhere. But lil Beavie & Cougie didn't get invited because they never pitched in for snacks, or equipment. But why should they? They're just poor victims that have been held down under the thumb of their bigger brothers. Ones who had an obligation to protect them.....

* HEAVY SARCASM

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In its most simple terms it is this, Oregon State and Washington State claim the actions of the Pac-12 and Commissioner George Kliavkoff in response to members announcing their intent to leave the conference in 2024 show those departing schools relinquished their rights to decide the long-term future of the league and forfeit the “goodies.”  And, would no longer have voting rights.

All ten of the escapees announced they would leave August 1, 2024 at the end of many current Pac12 agreements.  The receiving conferences all announced the new members would join August 2, 2024.

The “court” felt the parties indicating their effective date was irrelevant.  That, the action was triggered on the date it was announced.  Period, end of sentence.

As Charles says, this flies in the face of the programs continuing to operate in the Pac12 and provide conference championship activities in which OSU and WSU participated and acknowledged those other programs were 2024 champions.

In retrospect, the escapees should have all been bastards and announced their departures August 1, 2024.  Rumors would have proliferated.  Columnists would have run out of ink.  OSU and WSU partisans would have stomped and cried over the obvious mean spiritedness.

So, in effect for giving notice, OSU/WSU have become the Pig-2 in Charles terms, and he is correct.

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1