Charles Fischer

What Arizona State Fans Say About Losing Ra'Shaad Samples...

Always interesting to see what opposing fans feel; I thought I'd skip the usual, "Phil Knight buys whatever he wants," and focus on what the fans thought of Samples as a coach. After reading quite a bit...it seems there is more to the story about where Samples ends up on the staff?  Or simply a brief stepping-stone that Oregon is OK with?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"His recruiting prowess is off the charts. Keep him on the staff for at least a couple more years as a result of a large pay bump with the OC title. Dilly has stated he’s already capable of running his own program... It’s moot given that we have an OC, but Samples runs the TX recruiting market. He’s pretty important to everything ASU football, but especially key in TX recruiting circles."

"His stated goal is to become a Head Coach within the next 5ish years. Does an Oregon RB coach title get him closer to that? I’d understand if he left for an OC role but this move doesn’t appear to align with the career trajectory of a head coach."

Sun Devil Football Tabs Ra'Shaad Samples as WR Coach/Passing Game Coord. -  Arizona State University Athletics

"Hopefully nobody follows him in the portal. He recruited a lot of our younger/transfer skill position guys."

"Samples played receiver in college though. He only took the RB job because it was what was available at SMU when he was getting elevated from a GA role. He wants to be coaching receivers unless he's calling plays. Only reason to take this Oregon job is the allure of the Duck."

"This is the funny part. KD has said he intentionally didn’t try to poach Oregon staff or players because he didn’t want to betray Lanning. Now Lanning is targeting our ace recruiter lol."

"Honestly, it sucks to lose Coach Samples, but we all knew he was leaving at season's end for something bigger and better. He is a beast and will do great at Oregon."

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Who knew that Sun Devils could be more reasonable and respectful than Beavers? 

As reported by Ducks Wire and elsewhere, Coach Samples's Dad is the coach at Texas powerhouse HS Duncanville. He is wired into Texas. Which is nice.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

Jon Joseph noted, "...Coach Samples's Dad is the coach at Texas powerhouse HS Duncanville." Who even knew? Well Jon knew. Who could have foreseen this association. The Ducks are trying to sign the 2025 #1 Receiver, who has "committed" to LSU, but is still being recruited by the Ducks and others. This receiver has phenomenal capabilities. Still, he is interested, but the LSU coaches haven't just assumed they have him locked up. They have a great recruiting class, and currently, it looks very good. Who knows, both the Ducks and LSU might meet on the field of competition this year.

The Ducks may not get the receiver, but it is nice to have a potential link into the currently #1 program (talent-wise) in TX. That available talent changes every year, but great coaching does not change.

Coach Lanning - thank you. You seem to have brought the Duck family another great coach. You might consider sending Coach Dillingham a bottle of vintage Dom Perignon for New Years, regardless.

Win, Ducks, Win!

VR,

KCDuck1

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

We have a new Tshirt slogan....ALLURE of the DUCK

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:36 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Who knew that Sun Devils could be more reasonable and respectful than Beavers? 

As reported by Ducks Wire and elsewhere, Coach Samples's Dad is the coach at Texas powerhouse HS Duncanville. He is wired into Texas. Which is nice.

Though they are the eternal “sleeping giant”, most of their fanbase doesn’t seem to have giant expectations. 

On 4/8/2024 at 12:59 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Though they are the eternal “sleeping giant”, most of their fanbase doesn’t seem to have giant expectations. 

It's not a very good team, the Cardinals, but when you are competing against an NFL team for entertainment dollars you need to be more than a CFB bottom feeder. 

I hope Dilly will turn things around. The Herm Experience was a disaster.  And at the top? ASU backed out of a bowl game last season without letting Dilly know before the announcement. I wouldn't want to share a nest with Crow. 

On 4/8/2024 at 11:30 AM, Charles Fischer said:

"His stated goal is to become a Head Coach within the next 5ish years. Does an Oregon RB coach title get him closer to that? I’d understand if he left for an OC role but this move doesn’t appear to align with the career trajectory of a head coach."

I believe he's being hired at Oregon as a RB/Assist. Head Coach.  It seems a step up for him.

ASU point of view Samples leaving to Oregon from Richie Bradshaw of Locked on Devils.

• Applause 1

On 4/8/2024 at 10:16 AM, NJDuck said:

I believe he's being hired at Oregon as a RB/Assist. Head Coach.  It seems a step up for him.

ASU point of view Samples leaving to Oregon from Richie Bradshaw of Locked on Devils.

Going to a P2 conference for a playoff contender versus hoping for 6-6 in the B12…I know which looks better on the resume. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think this is a sneaky good hire, not only from the aspect of getting an elite recruiter and a good RB coach.  Given his recent experience with receivers, DL could be using Samples as a hedge against either Stein or Adams leaving in the next couple years...if Stein leaves then Adams could move up to OC and Samples could dovetail into the WR coach spot and get the passing game coordinator title granted as well...same thing if Adams leaves, Samples just takes over his position with the extra title.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Lanning has already established the apparent beginning of a decent coaching tree... Seems Samples is "Joining the (Duck) Love Train"!

• Thumbs Up 1

Another of those things that set Lanning apart is that he doesn’t go after name brand assistant hires who may be already resting on their laurels. He wants young, motivated up and comers. He wants them growing, not grown.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:30 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Hopefully nobody follows him in the portal. He recruited a lot of our younger/transfer skill position guys

There might be a couple guys on the ASU roster Lanning and co would be interested in... But the reality is that the way Lanning runs the program has us always flirting with scholarship cap. 

Some players will leave Oregon in the spring portal and I'm sure Lanning will look to grab a couple from elsewhere... But Oregon doesn't have the space, need or desire to gut the ASU roster.

I think ASU fans are afraid of us killing their roster but that isn't going to happen. Someone else might do it but not Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 2