FishDuck Article

Bo Nix: First Rounder or What?

Bo Nix finished his college playing career with a huge super-senior season playing for the Ducks in 2023/2024. After setting the FBS record for completion percentage in a season, throwing for 113 career touchdowns, and winning the Fiesta Bowl, Nix seems like a sure-fire thing for a first round pick, right? Despite his illustrious final two seasons, Nix is one ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Bo Nix finished his college playing career with a huge super-senior season playing for the Ducks in 2023/2024. After setting the FBS record for...
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Drafting qb's in the NFL is quite the show. Too many teams put unrealistic expectations on a young qb, while not understanding their strengths and weaknesses. You broke down Nix's skillset extremely well, great job!

I also agree Denver may be his best shot at success. A coach who wants a game manager, and decision maker on strategic passing may get a diamond ready to shine.                        

The one component of his game you didn't highlight is his intelligence. I tend to think his mind and maturity will put him in the first round. This will also give him at least a Kellen Clemens type of career.

• Thumbs Up 4

I like your observations Ryan, and for me--it is so hard to predict.  I do agree with most on the forum, in that he has to end up in the right place that matches up well with him.  We wish him the very best!

Bo Nix throwing_Mike Snow.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

The NFL draft rarely goes as expected beyond the first half dozen picks.  Even then, the variables involved for rookie players, especially quarterbacks, is so wildly different and unpredictable that guaranteed draft success is even more rare.

That being said.  When this draft all "shakes out" Sir Bo will be a first round talent most likely taken in the second round. Where the team that selects him, depending on how they use and develop his talents, will find a "franchise level" quarterback that they did not have to "sell the farm" to acquire.

To put it another way:

Bo Nix will be considered a "steal" a few years down the road for whatever NFL team commits their draft pick for him.

Go Ducks NFL QB's!

• Thumbs Up 2

The "draft" is often misunderstood by some fans.  It is really driven by a team's individual needs.  Do they need an O-lineman more than a QB?  If so, that is how they will draft even if the QB taken one or two picks in order later is "ranked" higher.  Likewise, QB to QB.  Penix could be taken higher than Nix, or Nix higher than Penix.  Does that mean one is demonstrably better than the other?  Not really - it just means the current roster of the team has an existing QB pool that one of those two guys was deemed a better fit into the mix.

When a QB slides like Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Derek Carr, Boomer Esiason and so on it doesn't mean their potential was unrecognized.  That draft, many teams had position needs that were a higher priority.

So, the 1-2-3-4-etc. draft order doesn't really mean they are the 1-2-3-4 "best" players.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Ahead of the NFL Draft later this month, former Oregon quarterback Bo Nix visited with the Seattle Seahawks who could give him an opportunity to stay in the Pacific Northwest at the...

Besides all the football stuff, how about these intangibles that make a difference?

He's mature. He's not just older than most QBs coming out of college, he acts like it.

He's married. He will go home at night instead of being out looking.

• Applause 1

ESPN's NFL Insider and host of ESPN's 'Fantasy Football, Field Yates, has Bo going 12 to Denver, JPC going 35 to Arizona, and Troy Franklin going 64th to Kansas City, which would be a great landing spot for Troy. And Bo would be a good fit in Broncos coach Sean Payton's offense. The only problem with the QBs on the roster is that Bo might be thrown into the NFL fire in his first season.

In the first 2 rounds, Fields has the New B1G with 24 draft choices and the New SEC with 23. 

Fields is 36 years of age. He is a graduate of Wesleyan University in Connecticut where he played football and lacrosse. Before taking the job with ESPN, Yates was a member of the Chiefs coaching staff. He is the replacement for the pink-slipped McShay and IMO, an improvement.

Disclosure: I'm biased. Fields went to the same high school in Massachusetts as did I: Belmont Hill School.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a 60-min interview to wade through, but he is very impressive in his "football knowledge" during the Q&A..

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, HDuck said:

The "draft" is often misunderstood by some fans.  It is really driven by a team's individual needs.  Do they need an O-lineman more than a QB?  If so, that is how they will draft even if the QB taken one or two picks in order later is "ranked" higher.  Likewise, QB to QB.  Penix could be taken higher than Nix, or Nix higher than Penix.  Does that mean one is demonstrably better than the other?  Not really - it just means the current roster of the team has an existing QB pool that one of those two guys was deemed a better fit into the mix.

When a QB slides like Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Derek Carr, Boomer Esiason and so on it doesn't mean their potential was unrecognized.  That draft, many teams had position needs that were a higher priority.

So, the 1-2-3-4-etc. draft order doesn't really mean they are the 1-2-3-4 "best" players.

Yeah, but odds are, if you are picking 1-4 your QB sucks and you need a new one. lol.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you, Ryan. 

For us older folk, not only was Dree Brees a very accurate thrower of the football out of Purdue, but there was a guy before him at Purdue, with the same kind of game, Bob Griese. Griese took the Maimi Dolphins to an undefeated season and two Super Bowl titles for coach Don Shula.  

Bo was the SEC Newcomer of the Year in his first season at Auburn, playing under the tutelage of Dilly. Dilly left and Bo's play became erratic. Under Dilly at Oregon, Bo returned to form and carried on under Will Stein. At least one astute NFL scout or GM will make note of this. Coaching and the system both matter.

The system at Denver under Sean Payton is the same system that Drew Brees played in for Coach Payton and the Saints. At 24 years of age and with a wealth of CFB QB experience, I think that Denver could be the perfect spot for Bo. The No. 12 pick would bring a nice rookie payday for Bo. 

61 starts at QB for Bo is amazing. The fact that Dillon Gabriel with 49 starts, please keep him healthy football gods, has a chance to exceed Bo's win total is also amazing. Dillon will (please) finish with at least 13 starts and 62 overall starts; more if the Ducks make the B1G champ game and/or the 2024 playoffs. Unless there is another COVID season of the witch, Gabriel will likely set a CFB record that will never be broken.

So, Williams, Daniels, Maye (a guy Bo 'defeated,') McCarthy, and Bo? I hope so as again, I think Denver would be the perfect landing spot.

I like Bo's chances to succeed in the NFL. Caleb is going No. 1 but he will not be able to free-lance in the NFL like he did in CFB. Daniels played in a terrific O throwing to 3 WRs who will go in the first 2 rounds. Was it Daniels or the system and his WRs? Maye? Bo won the battle in the Holiday Bowl and Maye did not play great against the better opponents. McCarthy? He's getting a ton of draft love but his measurables are not that great and he played in a run-oriented O at Michigan. 

Thanks again, Ryan. And all the best to Bo.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:26 PM, Solar said:

Yeah, but odds are, if you are picking 1-4 your QB sucks and you need a new one. lol.

Better off taking a guy in the 6th round, right?

I'm not liking this Bo hate. I wonder if this guy watched Bo compete against Drake Maye?

WWW.SBNATION.COM

Where do things stand with just over two weeks before the NFL Draft?

Wondering where Nix would be right now had we won the WA games...

Nix only drawback is when the moment is too intimidating for him he feels rushed and his technique really falls apart. He has shown a lot of improvement in that area, but it still came out a couple of games for little stretches his senior year.

So the big question is the NFL going to be too intimidating for him or will he be able to mentally adjust and maintain his confidence?

Bo's biggest problem is that He's not super flashy and made the game look way too easy by using his brain and not his feet. Not playing hero ball probably hurt his draft stock more than him being a good game manager helped him. 

I think with this loaded QB class he falls to the second round but than again QB seams to be a really big need for allot teams this year with the potential of 6 QB's going in the first round. Denver or Las Vegas could probably start him right away as he is one of the more NFL ready guys at the position. Personally I hope he ends up with a late round pick in the first or second so he can end up with a team that doesn't have to throw him in the fire.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2024 at 8:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

Drafting qb's in the NFL is quite the show. Too many teams put unrealistic expectations on a young qb, while not understanding their strengths and weaknesses. You broke down Nix's skillset extremely well, great job!

I also agree Denver may be his best shot at success. A coach who wants a game manager, and decision maker on strategic passing may get a diamond ready to shine.                        

The one component of his game you didn't highlight is his intelligence. I tend to think his mind and maturity will put him in the first round. This will also give him at least a Kellen Clemens type of career.

It also seems his quick decision making is ignored. His low sack total was not just because he had an excellent o line but also because he got rid of the ball quickly under pressure.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being a Raiders fan I really hope he doesn't go to Denver but being a Bo Nix fan I really hope he doesn't go to the raiders. I really hope he has a chance to learn for a few years from a veteran before being tossed to the wolves. Maybe the 49ers need a backup I believe that system might be a good fit for Bo's skill set.

On 4/10/2024 at 10:52 PM, Dave23 said:

Being a Raiders fan I really hope he doesn't go to Denver but being a Bo Nix fan I really hope he doesn't go to the raiders. I really hope he has a chance to learn for a few years from a veteran before being tossed to the wolves. Maybe the 49ers need a backup I believe that system might be a good fit for Bo's skill set.

agree in that it would be good for Bo to wait behind a solid vet for a couple years much like Love & Mahomes.

Where will Bo go?

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The Broncos own the 12th overall pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. Here's who experts are currently predicting they'll select.

The whole pre-draft weeks and weeks is a chess match among teams.  They rumor monger, and feed TV pundits false info to try to disguise their intent and buffalo the other NFL teams.  Some teams don't show up for college pro-days on certain athletes so they don't "appear" interested to other NFL scouts.

If they have an early second round pick, then get pundits to talk down the assessment of a guy they hope will still be available to them.  The teams try to analyze what other teams will do with picks in a risk maneuver to hope a guy slides.  "If I talk down Penix, I can take a DL early and hope Penix is still available."

Pundits are up/down on their assessments of Penix and Nix.  Largely because their "sources" are feeding them a line of b.s. trying to position themselves to get their best 1st and 2nd picks.

The teams are really only interested in the best outcomes for themselves based on their own needs.  If player A goes No. 10 and player B goes No. 20 it doesn't mean A is 10 picks better.  It means those two teams had different needs based upon their current rosters and trades they expect to make.

The pundits have to fill airtime.  So, they regurgitate the lines they are being fed by teams, and don't want to appear out of sync with counterparts.  Thus, Penix is injury prone and Nix can't throw long.

The WNBA has it right.  Keep the "analysis period" short between the season and the draft.  These days every freakin football play is on tape.  They all have contact with college coaching staffs for a player's team, and with the opponent staffs the player has faced.  If you are an NFL team, would you rather watch those tapes, or whether a guy can run a cone drill?

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1