NJDuck

Report: NCAA Discusses Rule Change to Allow Unlimited Transfers Without Sitting Out

There may be even more transferring in college sports in the near future.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

There may be even more transferring in college sports in the near future. Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic reported Monday that the NCAA's Division I Council…

Wish I had a reaction icon for....

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I wish I could say I'm shocked or surprised... 

But I'm not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Only the NCAA would do the complete opposite of what is needed to save college athletics…

How much did the NCAA spend on legal fees before being enjoined by a judge in West Virginia? The injunction put into place what the NCAA is now "proposing" to do. Brilliant!

The Power 4 especially when it comes to CFB and Men's CBB, need to go their own way, at least in the Money Ball sports, and leave the dysfunctional NCAA  behind. And it's more likely that it will be the Power 2 going their own way. 

There can be no restraints on transfers allowed before the players have an association that can bargain with management. Congress is not coming to the NCAA's rescue until a negotiated agreement is in place. However, how do you form a 'union' with transient athletes? A union with many athletes under the age where they are allowed to enter into enforceable contracts, Who or what makes up 'management?'

This is yet another reason why the proposed 80-team Super Conference is a non-starter. The B1G and the SEC collectively have the market power and influence to go it alone and enter into an agreement with their athletes. Possibly leaving Northwestern and Vandy on the football sideline, but conference members for all other sports.

Money Ball sports in particular will consolidate, not expand. 

On 4/9/2024 at 2:43 PM, OregonDucks said:

Only the NCAA would do the complete opposite of what is needed to save college athletics…

The NCAA has no choice. They have lost every meaningful case in the courts. And legislative bodies and regulatory agencies have no interest in protecting the 'student-athlete' model. If the NCAA loses the House case, or other cases claiming back-NIL pay for athletes barred from marketing their own NIL, there will be no more NCAA. There will be who knows how many programs no longer awarding athletic scholarships.

That's the saddest thing about 'All of This." The baby could be thrown out with the bath water. Or at the very least, few schools will have the financial resources to offer all of the sports offered today and the resources to compete at championship levels. A major hit could be coming to non-venue sports and women's sports. Without Olympic varsity sports being played in college, what entity is going to fund the development of Olympic athletes? We could see a major hit to the USA's performance in Olympic sports. 

Fortunately, Oregon has the resources to carry on in the Money Ball sports but how many other sports may be cut or receive less funding? Pandora has left the box. 

I'm not excusing the NCAA for not getting ahead of the curve but today, the NCAA can put on post-season events, and control eligibility, and that's about it. 

Oooo. Eligibility limits. What gives the NCAA the right to restrict someone in college from making NIL money by banning them from sports after a predetermined period of time? Sounds like another antitrust issue.

I guess that one will wait until 2025 maybe.

On 4/9/2024 at 3:35 PM, Solar said:

Oooo. Eligibility limits. What gives the NCAA the right to restrict someone in college from making NIL money by banning them from sports after a predetermined period of time? Sounds like another antitrust issue.

I guess that one will wait until 2025 maybe.

Cam McCormack says: Spot On!

• Haha 1

Jeremy Bloom. was a football star at CU, an All-American, and an Olympic skier.

Jeremy was offered a deal by a ski company to rep the company's skis. The NCAA denied Jeremy'rigth to enter into the deal. As Jeremy noted, the NCAA was OK with an athlete playing another pro sport, like baseball, and competing in a different college sport. The NFL would not let Jeremy earn money from his NIL. Today, Jeremy would be paid both for his playing football and also as a skier at CU. Jeremy, a 6th-round draft pick who did not play a down in the NFL, is today identified as a 'Philanthropist.' Jeremy made mountains of money in investments. 

The NCAA stiffing Jeremy is one example, among many, of the NCAA having no Common Sense.  

Jeremy is a member of Mensa and his siblings are also very intelligent people. Jermy's brother is a heart surgeon affiliated with Mass General Hospital in Boston. His sister who was very close to being an Olympic skier, Molly Bloom, was Phi Beta Kappa at CU and could have gone to Harvard or Stanford Law School. Instead, she decided to take a year off.

You can learn more about Molly by watching the movie, 'Molly's Game.'  The NCAA didn't come after her but the FBI did. 

Exhibit A -

Bear Down? Or, take off?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Alexander projects as the No. 1 defensive tackle available in the transfer portal, according to 247Sports

We need a Nose Tackle, and he is more of a defensive tackle.  I also would wonder about him in the locker room--does he have an attitude to learn and be hungry?  Or is he entitled?  (This would be his third school)

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/10/2024 at 11:26 AM, Charles Fischer said:

We need a Nose Tackle, and he is more of a defensive tackle.  I also would wonder about him in the locker room--does he have an attitude to learn and be hungry?  Or is he entitled?  (This would be his third school)

Bear also attended 3 different high schools. 😵

Put a fork in the NCAA.  It's done

• Thumbs Up 1

Not so fast when it comes to the Bear. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Multiple outlets reported the Trojans defensive lineman planned to the transfer portal when it opens

Send in the Saint Bernard's!

THEATHLETIC.COM

With players allowed to generate income off their NIL, employment is the last step in the blurry barrier between amateur and pro sports.

Linfield, Bowdoin, and Pittsburgh State have an NCAA vote. Linfield College does not have the same issues as Oregon, a school offering athletic scholarships and watched by millions worldwide. The Power 4 has to be able to regulate without needing the approval of D3 and G5 programs.

I disagree with the author. The NCAA goes away and big-time college football will contract and not expand. The Super League will be the Power 2 bankrolled by Fox and Friends and ESPN.  

Edited by Jon Joseph