Charles Fischer

Oregon State's RB Damien Martinez in the Portal...Do You Want Him?

Jon Joseph brought this to light in another post...this is an elite running back, along the lines of Bucky.  Do you want him?  Would this destroy the RB room?

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Gonna be a bidding war!

• Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I’m sure he already knows where he’s headed, Beavis thinks Alabama.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:37 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

It depends, did he "smoked it all"?

• Haha 1

Interesting.  If Oregon's RB room wasn't so packed I'd say go for it but there's no need to.  I wonder if he's making the right decision...he could've taken the 400k, played 1 more season where he demolished G5 opponents to pad his stats, then declared for the NFL.  His bonefides wouldn't be in question since he spent his first 2 seasons against P5 competition averaging 1k+ rushing between them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, gotta wonder a bit here.  

Based on everything Daschel at the O says, Bray is the second coming of Nick Saban.

The timing is a bit odd because they too are in the midst of spring ball and I would certainly assume he was the lead guy on the depth chart.

Maybe to MSU with Smith?

On 4/9/2024 at 2:34 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Gonna be a bidding war!

To answer your question... 

Would I like him? Yes ... But no where near enough to warrant a bidding war. Oregon is loaded at runningback and if I was balancing the NIL books right now I would want to use that money elsewhere. 

(again coaches do not do this as it is a 3rd party but coaches also have an idea of their "Budget") 

• Thumbs Up 1

Rumor mill says Alabama.

RBs have a very limited shelf-life and they’ve pounded the heck out of him, very good chance he’ll make more in college another year or two (I think he has 2 years left) than he’ll make in his NFL career. 

That and who wants to play “in the MWC“ for a former pac team that’s about to embarrass itself next season?

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2024 at 3:33 PM, HDuck said:

NIL is paid by a 3rd party(ies) who do not belong to the institution the player is playing at. 

Coaches have no control, and they're not even supposed to have knowledge, of how NIL is paid. 

If a coach or someone from the university actually pays players directly that is a violation. 

The reality is that every coach knows their NIL budget and talks to their NIL collectives about how to direct the resources. But coaches aren't supposed to be involved. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, if you are going for a ’Natty…

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/9/2024 at 5:37 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Michigan State? 

On 4/9/2024 at 8:26 PM, David Marsh said:

NIL is paid by a 3rd party(ies) who do not belong to the institution the player is playing at. 

Coaches have no control, and they're not even supposed to have knowledge, of how NIL is paid. 

If a coach or someone from the university actually pays players directly that is a violation. 

The reality is that every coach knows their NIL budget and talks to their NIL collectives about how to direct the resources. But coaches aren't supposed to be involved. 

David? Spot On! There's 'the law." What happens when there is no sheriff around to enforce 'the law?' Chaos.

Just keep it 3rd party to 3rd party, agent to agent and it isn't tampering, right? 

$400,000.00 'from' Oregon State? That's tough for me to get my arms around. A lot to pay to be the champion of the Pac-2. 

On 4/9/2024 at 7:32 PM, David Marsh said:

Would I like him? Yes ... But no where near enough to warrant a bidding war. Oregon is loaded at runningback and if I was balancing the NIL books right now I would want to use that money elsewhere. 

(again coaches do not do this as it is a 3rd party but coaches also have an idea of their "Budget") 

I get a kick out of the kicker who moved from Corvallis to Eugene, That's enough Beaver kicks for me. But maybe I'm a Sapp? 

Will Canzano blame the transfer on the Ducks?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2024 at 6:38 PM, Jon Joseph said:

$400,000.00 'from' Oregon State? That's tough for me to get my arms around. A lot to pay to be the champion of the Pac-2. 

That's pay to try and keep the Breavs relevant (at least by their status quo standards) for another year. 

Oregon State's NIL groups are going to throw as much money as they can at the team in the next few years I feel. If the Beavs can make the playoff they may be able to get themselves into a real conference. 

Will it work? I kind of doubt it... But I think that's their only play. 

• Thumbs Up 1

David, I thought the "we don't pay players" was an obvious reference to fanspeak - not actually anything to do with what is allowed.

"We" make our guys go to class.  "We" only offer scholarships to real students.  "We"...etc, etc.

• Haha 1

This kid was stinking awesome last year. I couldn't help thinking how instrumental he was in their wins. Sadly, wink wink, we have a treasure drove of RB's already. I wouldn't upset an apple cart for anything less than an Adrian Petersen/Reggie Bush type player. He's not that so best to leave well enough alone.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2024 at 6:43 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I get a kick out of the kicker who moved from Corvallis to Eugene, That's enough Beaver kicks for me. But maybe I'm a Sapp? 

No that's Daschel's specialty.   You know that evil empire  40 miles south ruled by Phil Knight.  Remember OS, by their own acclamation in the TV add is 'built not bought'.

Edited by Augduck
grammatical error
  • Applause 1

On 4/9/2024 at 7:01 PM, HDuck said:

David, I thought the "we don't pay players" was an obvious reference to fanspeak - not actually anything to do with what is allowed.

"We" make our guys go to class.  "We" only offer scholarships to real students.  "We"...etc, etc.

I missed that reference in that case. 

I keep running into folks who don't understand how NIL works. Or works legally or theoretically as the NIL landscape keeps shifting in terms of what is and isn't allowed. 

And I think I often run into Beaver fans who don't understand how this whole NIL thing works too. The reality for Beaver fans is they are already a farm program... They will recruit and develop top talent that will be scooped up by B1G and SEC teams and their players who aren't tier 1 level but aren't G5 will go thr Big 12. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He played in high school about 40 miles from TCU.   Seems like a lot of these transfer guys....though maybe primarily the ones with just a year left....want to "go home."   There would be a lot of options for him within a pretty short radius of his home.  Oklahoma, Tex A&M, etc.

Though, it will likely come down to "offers."

One of the rumors is Miami which needs to add a RB.  That would spawn a whole new Beavis meltdown if "secret overtures from Cristobal" would hit the message boards.

But, the guy is a legit RB and there will probably be a lot of interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

After an extensive bathing to get rid of that Beavis stench

Edited by Duckley Palace
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2024 at 7:32 PM, David Marsh said:

Et tu, Damien? 

Hard to keep track of the Pac-2 Revolving Door Parade. But it's all good! Right, Canzano?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Martinez earned All-Pac 12 honors after a standout sophomore season

Ah, about those sterling academics?

247SPORTS.COM

A look at the schools that could be best fits for one of the portal's top players.

• Thanks 1

I would like to add; If these kids aren't going to make it in the NFL then you play for hire not for allegiance. After all, they play for a scholarship which is getting paid right? If Martinez isn't an NFL guy then he has 2 years to strike while the iron is hot. Which one of us wouldn't take a 2 year $1 million guaranteed payout at 20 years old? A 6% return on investment is $60,000 a year for life as well as a degree. Yeah, you go for it and set your family up. After all, isnt that what you go to college for?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Evidently the reason for the abrupt about-face was NIL (he says it's not but we all know it is).

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Martinez, a two-time all-conference running back, plans to put his name in the NCAA transfer portal when the spring football window opens Tuesday

Benny’s House has convinced themselves he wasn’t actually that good. Guy was walking on water 2 weeks ago, now he’s leaving because he’s too slow and probably wasn’t going to start.

Pound sand Beavis.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2024 at 1:07 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Benny’s House has convinced themselves he wasn’t actually that good.

200.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/10/2024 at 11:37 AM, 1Funduck said:

I would like to add; If these kids aren't going to make it in the NFL then you play for hire not for allegiance. After all, they play for a scholarship which is getting paid right? If Martinez isn't an NFL guy then he has 2 years to strike while the iron is hot. Which one of us wouldn't take a 2 year $1 million guaranteed payout at 20 years old? A 6% return on investment is $60,000 a year for life as well as a degree. Yeah, you go for it and set your family up. After all, isnt that what you go to college for?

Invested in the S&P 500 for the next 20 years and when he's 40 he'll have 5 million in the market and another 750k of dividends to play around with. Just hope these guys are getting some decent investment advice. 

On 4/11/2024 at 10:05 PM, Dave23 said:

Just hope these guys are getting some decent investment advice. 

...no lie. I remember seeing so much money come in each month that I misplaced checks. I know.....incredibly stupid. I was 25 and my thinking was clearly not straight. I could have been retired before 35/40. But, I didn't listen. Life is good, don't get me wrong, but listening to older ones, humility, is better. It benefits 'you' in the long run.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

In other news: Benny enters the portal...

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1

On 4/9/2024 at 6:41 PM, kirklandduck said:

Interesting.  If Oregon's RB room wasn't so packed I'd say go for it but there's no need to.  I wonder if he's making the right decision...he could've taken the 400k, played 1 more season where he demolished G5 opponents to pad his stats, then declared for the NFL.  His bonefides wouldn't be in question since he spent his first 2 seasons against P5 competition averaging 1k+ rushing between them.

He would have had superb coverage on the Clueless Watchers and Pac (It Up) Networks. 

Martinez will likely double his money. Miami is desperate for an RB to pair up with another Pac-2 departee, Cam Ward. 

Good luck to the kid.  Given the overall circumstances, it is understandable.

Would likely be more palatable for Beavis fans if he ends up near home in Texas rather than some place like Miami.

It was tough seeing Travis Dye leave for a final year at USC.  But, it was near his family.

Who can blame him for turning down such an insulting offer when the PIG2 just stole 200 Mil from 10 other schools!

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

On 4/12/2024 at 11:11 AM, Jon Joseph said:

He would have had superb coverage on the Clueless Watchers and Pac (It Up) Networks. 

Martinez will likely double his money. Miami is desperate for an RB to pair up with another Pac-2 departee, Cam Ward. 

If Mario's still running that Pistol then Damian should avoid Miami.  I don't think any RB would love running into a solid wall of defensive linemen every down, no matter how big they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario....... hmmm, seems I remember that name.  You mean Mario 'let me call a time out at the most inopportune time' ???  The same guy who always looked like the freshman  who thought he was in Literature 101 but was really in Advanced French Existential Philosophy?????  Yeah, I remember him

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/12/2024 at 1:35 PM, Steven A said:

Who can blame him for turning down such an insulting offer when the PIG2 just stole 200 Mil from 10 other schools!

They won the great ledger battle(s) of 2024, but their fate remains the same. Praying for an ACC or B12 invite, or becoming Colorado State.

…Or a massive change of heart by PAC-12 members in a few years.

Yeah, we want to earn half again, and be invisible to most of the country.

Mr. FishDuck

Followup to Charles - when Beavis goes on a rant trying to equate the Pac-12 Apple offer possibility to what Oregon will receive as an initial reduced Big Ten media share, minus higher travel expenses, they not only overlook the higher CFP and basketball tournament Big Ten shares, but also the financials that come from higher home ticket sales, concessions, etc.   And, that doesn't touch the greater publicity from several linear network appearances vs streaming.

Note yesterday's news release on football ticket sales...

GODUCKS.COM

Excitement for the upcoming Oregon football season is at an all-time high, as reflected by renewal rates and requests for season tickets.

• Applause 1

On 4/13/2024 at 11:24 AM, HDuck said:

And, that doesn't touch the greater publicity from several linear network appearances vs streaming.

Amen, Duck-Brother.  I sincerely believe that we will have an uptick in exposure and recognition that we cannot possibly foresee right now.  

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Apple subscribers currently at 25M, and I’m guessing at least half of them don’t even know/care that college football exists.

This isn’t even a discussion. 😉 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 2