Thomallister1291

15 Teams We Want the Oregon Ducks to Play for the First Time

Thanks for the post. 

Assuming home and home series, right?

G5 schools should not be on the list. There is no reason whatsoever to give G5 programs a return game. I suppose if Tulane, Memphis, or UTSA, wanted to trip to Autzen this would be fine. No way with B1G travel should Oregon be tripping to New Orleans, Memphis, or San Antonio to play a game of insignificant national interest. The only G5 school worth tripping to IMO is Hawaii for Pacific Islands recruiting purposes.

Travel to play Arkansas, South Carolina, UCF, Duke, Syracuse, and Louisville? Why not play Cal or Stanford instead? Get a Hog pelt on the wall, who cares?

Baylor is on the schedule in 2027 and 2028. After Oklahoma State in 2025 and 2026. IMO, that's enough of the B12. 

Clemson, Alabama, Ole Miss? Play teams of this caliber in the Playoffs. Especially, without knowing how the Playoff Committee is going to consider the strength of the schedule. 

Thanks again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/15/2024 at 10:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Why not play Cal or Stanford instead?

Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think the article has merit.

It would be fun to see some of those games.

But, only if the G5 travel to Autzen and the others, in the playoffs. 

Playing in the B1G now gives us less wiggle room for scheduling, even with expanded playoff. 

Oregon should have no problem scheduling home games now and getting whomever they want.

Having B1G teams now show up to Autzen yearly will make tickets a high demand item for several years.

It's time the AD took Jon J's scheduling advice.

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 2:49 PM, DanLduck said:

I think the article has merit.

It would be fun to see some of those games.

But, only if the G5 travel to Autzen and the others, in the playoffs. 

Playing in the B1G now gives us less wiggle room for scheduling, even with expanded playoff. 

Oregon should have no problem scheduling home games now and getting whomever they want.

Having B1G teams now show up to Autzen yearly will make tickets a high demand item for several years.

It's time the AD took Jon J's scheduling advice.

Great comment. Playing in the B1G gives greater wiggle room when it comes to OOC scheduling. Michigan made it to the playoffs back-to-back without a P5/4 team on the OOC schedule. Ohio State plays only G5 teams OOC in 2024 and the schedule is light compared to other B1G contenders. But win the conference and Ohio State will be one of the two top seeds.

The B1G schedule will not be overlooked by the PO Committee as was often the case with the Pac-12. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My view of this topic is less about opponent and more about venue, history, neighborhood and whether the Ducks have visited in the last 30 years or so.

Ole Miss

Clemson

Florida State

Navy

As a result, Alabama is not real high on my list.

Here is an article that is more in line with my criteria.

ROADTOCFB.COM

Ranking college football stadiums isn't easy. I've been to 108 of the 131 stadiums (133 in 2023 with the addition of Sam Houston State and Jacksonville State) thus far and this list took me a ton of time...

• Applause 1

Only teams I find remotely interesting on that list are: Clemson, Bama and TAMU. 

Everyone else I'm kinda meh. 

And even the three I think are the most interesting we'll probably end up playing in the playoff at some point soonish. 

Certainly no need to prioritize OOC games with any of them because it will probably naturally happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Playing Ole Miss at Ole Miss is a much different fan experience than in a bowl game, or potentially hosting in an expanded Playoff.

Perhaps there is a different list for places you would like to visit?   For a lot of people, Wisconsin was on that list until the home-and-home with the Badgers was accomplished.

Visiting Tuscaloosa is not real high for me.

• Thanks 1

The AD should schedule OOC games with an eye on being able get the offense and defense ready for conference play. Preferably while being able to rest starters and allow young players to gain important experience by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Playing top tier OOC teams doesn’t make much sense in the playoff era. Keeping starters sharp while being able to rest them during a playoff campaign makes much more sense. 

With the number of games being played increasing, budget your travel money. It could easily cost $25k to $35k per person to go to a conference championship, and all playoff games. More, if you want premium seats. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 4/16/2024 at 7:51 AM, Drake said:

Playing top tier OOC teams doesn’t make much sense in the playoff era. Keeping starters sharp while being able to rest them during a playoff campaign makes much more sense. 

giphy.gif

Now, can anyone convince Mullens of that?

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Art of the Scheduling Deal also should take into consideration Oregon playing five conference road games in odd-numbered years. Games in 2025 will see Oregon traveling to Pennsylvania and New Jersey for conference games with the B1G champ game played in Indianapolis. 

Oregon does play Oklahoma State at home in 2025, but on the road in Stillwater in 2026, in a stadium where the Cowboys rarely lose. In 2025, Oklahoma will come into Autzen with a good chance of being the champion of the B12 in 2024. OK State does not play Arizona in the regular season next year and plays Utah in Stillwater. Why add an opponent like this; especially, before knowing how much value the committee with a 12-team playoff field will give a team's strength of schedule? 

As noted above, I would prefer to see Oregon traveling to the Bay Area to play ACC, P4 teams, Cal, and Stanford, instead of traveling to Stillwater in 2026 and to Waco, Texas in 2027.  The B1G conference schedule, a Power 2 schedule, provides enough difficulty of its own without being an OOC scheduling hero. 

Michigan plays Texas this season and plays at Oklahoma in 2025. Ohio State plays Texas in 2025 and 2026, and Alabama in 2027 and 2028. Why? Michigan or Ohio State win the B1G championship and even with playing 3 G5 teams OOC, will be seeded in the playoff top 4 and likely in the top 2. Both could play UTSA, So, Alabama, or Tulsa at home, sell out the stadium, and score the revenue from another home game. 

Fun games, no doubt. But smart games?

Thoughts on Ohio State's squishy soft 2024 schedule plus a recommendation from College Football News to not play any tough non-conference opponents OOC before the Playoffs.

https://collegefootballnews.com/schedules/2024-ohio-state-football-schedule-3-things-to-know

With H+H series with Texas and Bama on the horizon, Ohio State did not get the message. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

I want nothing to do with Bama until all of Saban's players are gone.

I'm sick of watching DeBoer work his coaching magic on inherited top shelf talent.

In 4 years though? I want Bama!

• Applause 1

On 4/16/2024 at 10:17 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The Art of the Scheduling Deal also should take into consideration Oregon playing five conference road games in odd-numbered years. Games in 2025 will see Oregon traveling to Pennsylvania and New Jersey for conference games with the B1G champ game played in Indianapolis. 

Oregon does play Oklahoma State at home in 2025, but on the road in Stillwater in 2026, in a stadium where the Cowboys rarely lose. In 2025, Oklahoma will come into Autzen with a good chance of being the champion of the B12 in 2024. OK State does not play Arizona in the regular season next year and plays Utah in Stillwater. Why add an opponent like this; especially, before knowing how much value the committee with a 12-team playoff field will give a team's strength of schedule? 

As noted above, I would prefer to see Oregon traveling to the Bay Area to play ACC, P4 teams, Cal, and Stanford, instead of traveling to Stillwater in 2026 and to Waco, Texas in 2027.  The B1G conference schedule, a Power 2 schedule, provides enough difficulty of its own without being an OOC scheduling hero. 

Michigan plays Texas this season and plays at Oklahoma in 2025. Ohio State plays Texas in 2025 and 2026, and Alabama in 2027 and 2028. Why? Michigan or Ohio State win the B1G championship and even with playing 3 G5 teams OOC, will be seeded in the playoff top 4 and likely in the top 2. Both could play UTSA, So, Alabama, or Tulsa at home, sell out the stadium, and score the revenue from another home game. 

Fun games, no doubt. But smart games?

I'm not paying attention to the B1G conference schedule past this year. I mean the B1G created and published 3 official 2024 schedules this year due to conference realignments. THREE in 1 YEAR!

What are the odds there is no conference realignment to rejigger schedules by the time the 2025 hits? Pate seems to think the ACC losing teams is decided this off-season affecting 2025.

2026 seems like there is no chance to keep things the same, especially with the playoff changes forcing Notre Dame's hand.

On 4/16/2024 at 3:26 PM, Solar said:

I'm not paying attention to the B1G conference schedule past this year. I mean the B1G created and published 3 official 2024 schedules this year due to conference realignments. THREE in 1 YEAR!

What are the odds there is no conference realignment to rejigger schedules by the time the 2025 hits? Pate seems to think the ACC losing teams is decided this off-season affecting 2025.

2026 seems like there is no chance to keep things the same, especially with the playoff changes forcing Notre Dame's hand.

The schedules for conference opponents in football through the 2028 season are up on the B1G website. Oregon knows exactly which teams it will play, home and away, in-conference through 2028. The dates for the conference games from 2025 through 2028 have yet to be determined. 

As to when the ACC implodes, it will happen before the end of the current media deal in 2036.