Solar

Is Lanning Outperforming with the Talent he Inherited?

I believe this NFL draft will essentially book-end the era of Cristobal recruiting.

His talent evaluation got a lot of positive reinforcement from the recruiting ranking services, but my oh my what let downs with a few exceptions, notably along the line of scrimmage.

If you look at our "ranking" of graduating talent being taken in the Draft for the first two years of Lanning's era, you will see Oregon is ranked low compared to other teams that finished in the top 10-15; regardless of Cristobal recruits or Lanning transfers.

Whereas Cristobal's staff was good at recruiting, mid at player development, and hot trash at player evaluation, Lanning's staff appears to be good at all three, at least if we account for success of our portal players.

HS recruits are still a bit TBD as they still have to develop and muscle their way through the experienced portal transfers to get playing time.

Dan has lost but 5 games in two seasons. A loss to national champion Georgia, 'at' Georgia is certainly forgivable. Oregon had the superior roster in the 3 losses to UW, by a total of 9 points, and the loss to Oregon State while getting his feet on the ground.

UW will have many players drafted in a couple of weeks. Guys who for the most part DeBoer did not recruit. One reason DeBoer jumped ship to Bama, along with $10.5M a year. 

Keep bringing 4 and 5-star recruits and studs from the portal and Dan will have more players drafted season after season. Moving to the B1G will help the drafted player cause. With the talent on hand, and without a lot of recruits Mario recruited not panning out, Dan has done just fine. Far better than Jimbo did with superior rosters at A+M. 

• Applause 1

What is clear is that Lanning has gotten more out of the offensive lineman he inherited. 

But the reality is that in two years Lanning gutted the roster of the vast majority of the Cristo al talent and it is almost all gone now. 

There was a post I made months ago on FishDuck that I brokedown what is left from the Cristo al roster and there aren't many. 

I think Tightened has the most players who were recruited by MC at this point.

The offensive line has completely turned over with JPJ being the only MC recruit who started last year. 

Receiver had Franklin who has departed for the NFL. 

No quarterbacks or runningbacks from the MC era left after the first year or Lanning. 

Then the defense received a MASSIVE overhaul after Lanning's first year. Only a handful of players at best are left in the rotation on defense. The only two I can think of right now are Donte Manning and Kenyon Ware Hudson. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Great topic to ponder Solar, as you make a great point.  We only had SIX players left from the 2021 recruiting class of Cristobal that had set the new record at Oregon with 19 of the 4/5-Star players on Rivals.com. 

Lanning overcame that tremendous hole with great portal recruiting, and some HS players helped.

Don't Listen to Him!  Cristobal Creates

the MOTHER of all Recruiting Classes!

Husky Mod Explaining Recruiting.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/16/2024 at 1:03 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Dan has lost but 5 games in two seasons. A loss to national champion Georgia, 'at' Georgia is certainly forgivable. Oregon had the superior roster in the 3 losses to UW, by a total of 9 points, and the loss to Oregon State while getting his feet on the ground.

UW will have many players drafted in a couple of weeks. Guys who for the most part DeBoer did not recruit. One reason DeBoer jumped ship to Bama, along with $10.5M a year. 

Keep bringing 4 and 5-star recruits and studs from the portal and Dan will have more players drafted season after season. Moving to the B1G will help the drafted player cause. With the talent on hand, and without a lot of recruits Mario recruited not panning out, Dan has done just fine. Far better than Jimbo did with superior rosters at A+M. 

I'm saying that I don't think we had the superior roster to UW last year judging by the draft. I remember these Peterson classes and thinking there wasn't much separation with Cristobal's classes by star power, so it would come down to coaching.

But it was worse than that as Peterson's talent evaluation was far superior to Cristobal's. Peterson found ballers, Cristobal found lunch pail guys.

Solar, spot on regarding the upcoming draft but Oregon's roster was and is Blue Chip and UW's was and is not.

I think Lanning way of loading up at positions and then let the talent rise to the top is the only way now. Too many NIL players get to a program, get fat and happy, or transfer out at the first inkling of not starting.

Recruit and then over recruit to create competition. 

I liked the idea of derecruiting players, but I think it is also over recruiting. Let the competition scare the players away who aren't gamers. 

'I heard you were pretty good in high school, so were the other guys we recruited at your position, so what now what!'

• Thumbs Up 1