TheRunningDuck

Is MKA Basketball Floor Being Replaced?

A video showing the basketball floor being stripped just showed up in my Facebook feed without information. Is the Deep in the Woods floor being replaced?

• Let’s hope! 1

It appears so.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Could this be the end of the forest of fir trees?

Edited by Autzen Magic

The reason behind the court having a unique design was noble. However, it is time to move on.

Most agree that it is a major distraction watching a game on TV. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hope so, was cool for about 1 season imo.

Better late than never. No more 'eyesore' court. Hoping the replacement is classic and somewhat conservative. Please avoid anything political or DEI inspired.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2024 at 10:33 AM, anyotherduck said:

Please avoid anything political or DEI inspired.

Statement of the year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I will wait to decide if this is good news until I see what they replace it with.

• Let’s hope! 1

B1G logo.

I believe all the Big Ten basketball courts have the B1G logo at each free-throw line, facing the shooter.

I believe it is a conference identity/publicity type thing.

That being said, from an aesthetic standpoint I prefer simple design and personally prefer contrasting wood color inside the 3-pt line area.

Oregon may have been a good "idea" but it was compromised by the colors used.   It is painful to look at on TV in particular.

Prefer the more subtle colors.  For example the one at Washington State.   There are many similarly subtle designs.

WWW.COUGCENTER.COM

Redesigned court will feature landmarks from across the state of Washington.

• Thumbs Up 2

There might be some regulations in the B1G that need to be addressed as well. I heard something about volleyball needing it's own independent court... Basically its only unique flooring. 

I know in football the Pac-12 has had a ban on any fields that aren't a natural green. This would have meant that Boise State would need to get rid of that hideous blue turf if they wanted to join the conference, and were accepted. 

That rules will be interesting to see if it sticks around in some eventual Pac-12 - MWC merger. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some B1G rules about basketball courts. 

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised there aren't more rules about courts markings.  Especially the out-of-bounds lines.

If you are a new official in the league, seems like it might take some time to get used to variations?

Look at Maryland, for example.  The out of bounds line is white and in some places it borders a white perimeter.

WWW.NCAA.COM

In anticipation of the 2015-16 basketball season, the Maryland introduced its latest design for Gary Williams Court at XFINITY Center.

Details and timeline for Oregon Ducks new basketball court at Matthew Knight Arena

The process of removing the old design started earlier this week at Matthew Knight Arena, with the floor being stripped down and sanded to its blank canvas.  The Oregon Ducks social media account posted an image of the blank floor on Thursday.

GLeN3-1a4AAUV9z?format=jpg&name=large

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Everything you need to know about the court redesign taking place at Matthew Knight Arena.

I realize I am in a very small minority, but I liked (not loved) it. It was especially because it was instantly recognizable as Oregons. The Ducks have always prided themselves on  not being afraid to be different, and they made a statement. I cannot say I had any problem watching it on TV either.

I look forward to whatever they come up with next, on both the court and the Football uniforms.

• Thumbs Up 1

The new court will still have a tree's theme, but it will be much more muted.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2024 at 2:48 PM, HDuck said:

Prefer the more subtle colors.  For example the one at Washington State.   There are many similarly subtle designs.

WWW.COUGCENTER.COM

Redesigned court will feature landmarks from across the state of Washington.

As was mentioned above, I'm sure similar to what WSU did on their floor that feature landmarks.  With Oregon, as Tandaian mentioned, will still have the tree theme along with BIG logo.