Charles Fischer

Gushing Green: B1G Network Gives Ducks Lots-of-Love

From their B1G Show last night...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Big-10 can't wait to welcome Oregon, as they are considered by many to be a preseason favorite to win the B1G."

"After a loss to Georgia, Oregon went 22-4 under Dan Lanning and never lost by more than four points, thus they were in every game and will compete for the B1G Championship in year one."

"....To keep that culture together in the portal era? It's something special. Lanning also had a top-2 (in B1G) recruiting class. He's right up there with Ohio State and Michigan with getting premier players, and I think Lanning will be like that for a long time."

"This team is not going to take a back seat to Ohio State or Michigan with their skill players that we saw on display. Whether it is contested catches, whether it is absolute ropes being hauled in by fingertips or great moves from the running backs and wide receivers.  They will not take a back seat to anyone with the ability of their skill players to make plays with things break down."

"I can see Oregon with that offensive scheme putting up some big numbers against some traditional powerhouse defenses in the B1G."

B1G Network Logo.jpg

"Dan Lanning cut his teeth on the other side of the ball.  Oregon is aggressive, but they don't take a ton of chances and make a ton of mistakes on defense. Lanning, from that Nick Saban tree, knows how to call a defense."

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have three reactions to it; first I appreciate their observation of what Oregon has done on offense, and how they recognize how we are loaded for this year to score among the nations best again.

Second...their observation about out defense is correct; we take chances on defense, but they are lower risk while trying to create a play or turnover.  For example our simulated blitzes may send only four, but the offense does not know where from, thus pressure can occur.  And, when we run a corner blitz, it is usually from the short side of the field, so that we can run a zone coverage over there, and have the safety cover the wide-out.

giphy.gif

Even Lady Gaga knows better...

Third...(above) somebody has to tell them how to say "Eugene, Oregon."  It is not YOU-gene, but you-GENE with the emphasis on the second syllable.  Geez.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/28/2024 at 1:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

From their B1G Show last night...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Big-10 can't wait to welcome Oregon, as they are considered by many to be a preseason favorite to win the B1G."

"After a loss to Georgia, Oregon went 22-4 under Dan Lanning and never lost by more than four points, thus they were in every game and will compete for the B1G Championship in year one."

"....To keep that culture together in the portal era? It's something special. Lanning also had a top-2 (in B1G) recruiting class. He's right up there with Ohio State and Michigan with getting premier players, and I think Lanning will be like that for a long time."

"This team is not going to take a back seat to Ohio State or Michigan with their skill players that we saw on display. Whether it is contested catches, whether it is absolute ropes being hauled in by fingertips or great moves from the running backs and wide receivers.  They will not take a back seat to anyone with the ability of their skill players to make plays with things break down."

"I can see Oregon with that offensive scheme putting up some big numbers against some traditional powerhouse defenses in the B1G."

B1G Network Logo.jpg

"Dan Lanning cut his teeth on the other side of the ball.  Oregon is aggressive, but they don't take a ton of chances and make a ton of mistakes on defense. Lanning, from that Nick Saban tree, knows how to call a defense."

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have three reactions to it; first I appreciate their observation of what Oregon has done on offense, and how they recognize how we are loaded for this year to score among the nations best again.

Second...their observation about out defense is correct; we take chances on defense, but they are lower risk while trying to create a play or turnover.  For example our simulated blitzes may send only four, but the offense does not know where from, thus pressure can occur.  And, when we run a corner blitz, it is usually from the short side of the field, so that we can run a zone coverage over there, and have the safety cover the wide-out.

giphy.gif

Third...(above) somebody has to tell them how to say "Eugene, Oregon."  It is not YOU-gene, but you-GENE with the emphasis on the second syllable.  Geez.

Second to when they ORY-GONE

• Thumbs Up 1

"Dan Lanning cut his teeth on the other side of the ball.  Oregon is aggressive, but they don't take a ton of chances and make a ton of mistakes on defense. Lanning, from that Nick Saban tree, knows how to call a defense."

I will go out on a long limb and say that unlike other coaches at Oregon from that Nick Saban tree (won't name names but you know) Dan knows how to coach and surround himself with people who he collaborates with as opposed to being a micromanger who can't get out of his own way.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/28/2024 at 1:28 PM, Augduck said:

"Dan Lanning cut his teeth on the other side of the ball.  Oregon is aggressive, but they don't take a ton of chances and make a ton of mistakes on defense. Lanning, from that Nick Saban tree, knows how to call a defense."

I will go out on a long limb and say that unlike other coaches at Oregon from that Nick Saban tree (won't name names but you know) Dan knows how to coach and surround himself with people who he collaborates with as opposed to being a micromanager who can't get out of his own way.

Bringing in Hampton to assist Lupoi was a very under-rated or unknown move.  It shouts to your great point...

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/28/2024 at 1:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Bringing in Hampton to assist Lupoi was a very under-rated or unknown move.  It shouts to your great point...

I was non-plussed by Tosh from day one, and wanted him gone before the end of the first season.

But perhaps there is a dynamic here between him, Lanning, and Hampton where his unique strengths are maximized and his weaknesses and oversights are covered over by Lanning and Hampton's support. And with that, Tosh will grow to address his weaknesses and reach his ceiling as a coach.

Maybe the best quality Tosh has is he isn't head coach material and will likely stick around in a position that fits his ceiling instead of chasing the Peter Principle.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do subscribe to the B1G Network, BTN. 

Pac-12 Network to the B1G Network is moving from Single-A to The Show.

I tape and watch B1G Today every day. It comes on at noon Eastern. I don't know if the first airing is at 9 AM Pacific or is delayed to Noon Pacific. 

Dang it!!  This thread reminds me of what I forgot to do....I was gonna check Goodwill to see if I could find any of the Pac-12 Network gear and the Pac-12 Jerseys the refs were wearing.  

On 4/28/2024 at 1:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

They'll also need a crash course on how to pronounce Oregon. 

It's Or-i-gun 

Not Or-E-Gone

Easy coasters usually get it wrong. 

On 4/28/2024 at 2:50 PM, Solar said:

Maybe the best quality Tosh has is he isn't head coach material and will likely stick around in a position that fits his ceiling instead of chasing the Peter Principle.

I think he could handle head coaching if he wanted it. 

But I don't think he wants it. If he wanted it, he would have had an opportunity somewhere. 

On 4/28/2024 at 9:52 PM, David Marsh said:

They'll also need a crash course on how to pronounce Oregon. 

It's Or-i-gun 

Not Or-E-Gone

Easy coasters usually get it wrong. 

Oregon Lovers, Orygun Outdoors Beautiful Mt. Hood T-Shirt
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

OR-eh-gun

DICTIONARY.CAMBRIDGE.ORG

How to pronounce Oregon. How to say Oregon. Listen to the audio pronunciation in the Cambridge English Dictionary. Learn more.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck