FishDuck Article

Does Oregon Finally Have Depth at Quarterback?

Quarterback depth at Oregon has been fleeting and has often led to lost seasons for the Ducks. In 2007, Dennis Dixon was on the verge of winning the Heisman and the Ducks were on the road to the National Championship game, until Dixon blew out his knee and the entire season fell apart. In 2013, Marcus Mariota and Oregon were ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Quarterback depth at Oregon has been fleeting and has often led to lost seasons for the Ducks. In 2007, Dennis Dixon was on the verge of...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Yes, David,  I agree with you.  The Oregon quarterback room is deep and talented.  Thanks for your well written article.

No longer will I be devastated if our QB is taken out by a cheap shot or unfortunate injury.  We will have several replacements capable to run the offense!

"In the end, the most important takeaway from this spring game is that all the quarterbacks played with confidence." Thank you Will Stein and Dan Lanning!

• Thumbs Up 1

David, solid observations and breakdowns on what we saw in the spring game. Thank you for the article........

I agree that we may have the depth at QB in 2024 that has rarely existed on a Oregon squad. All the QB's looked so comfortable when their opportunities came......

As a fan, I wonder during this new NIL Era how long this depth will hold together. Austin's N. hard work in the weight room, dedication to studying the playbook and on field performance will have caught any coaches eye watching the game.

Best part of the spring game was the first half defense and 4 quarter coverage by the DB's.

One of my grandsons is a big Texas Longhorn fan. He devours the study of college football. His first comment was about how tight the coverage was by the DB's. The type of coverage needed to contest balls against the great receivers they will face against tOSU.

His 2nd comment was about Austin N. arm strength and pin point passing. He did throw a pic into double coberage (inexperience?)

However......

If you get a chance to see a replay or if Sir Charles can share the play from his in depth review......you will see Austin throw a 40 yard laser that hits the receiver in stride, right in the hands. The DB had tight coverage.

The ball was dropped but the pass was exceptional. Austin will give Moore a battle for number 2 QB...

Go Ducks..........

• Thumbs Up 2

Many of us can recall other seasons where not did the back-up QB prove to be insufficient, due to injury we actually went three and four deep with great despair.  I believe at one time in 1991, we were either on our fourth or fifth QB that season, and due to poor play behind center--Oregon had an embarrassing season.

Having this many QBs could save a season, no doubt.  Oh, how we wish we had that depth for other seasons in the past!

We could not recruit better than Lockie?

Lockie at QB.jpg

• Whew! 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Depth at qb is critical, but not having a back-up center ready hurt us too, and I don't want to relive that game ever again!

Losing too many receivers killed our chances at a title too.

What will be interesting to watch is player development and retention at all positions. We need capable back-ups, next man up attitude throughout the team if we are going to make a strong run deep into the season.

I will completely agree qb depth is is number one, but just about every other position is 1B.

The way Lanning is creating this depth just might be the secret sauce of his coaching success going forward.  

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/29/2024 at 6:45 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

As a fan, I wonder during this new NIL Era how long this depth will hold together. Austin's N. hard work in the weight room, dedication to studying the playbook and on field performance will have caught any coaches eye watching the game.

I contemplated this issue a while ago. 

Back then I determined 3 scholarship quarterbacks was about the limit and that has for the most part proven true. 

But Lanning is surprising me big time with how he he managed to not only get the best QB from the portal, Gabriel, but also the second best QB from the portal in Moore. 

And still held onto Novosad on the roster and Moga still signed. 

We did lose Thompson and a prep recruit flipped (forgot his name) but overall incredible by this staff to have this much talent. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Just how many scholarship quarterbacks can a college football roster sustain? This is the big...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2024 at 7:46 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Many of us can recall other seasons where not did the back-up QB prove to be insufficient, due to injury we actually went three and four deep with great despair.  I believe at one time in 1991, we were either on our fourth or fifth QB that season, and due to poor play behind center--Oregon had an embarrassing season.

Having this many QBs could save a season, no doubt.  Oh, how we wish we had that depth for other seasons in the past!

We could not recruit better than Lockie?

Lockie at QB.jpg

In 2007 we lost Dixon, his backup, and we're on our 3rd string then. And I believe he was the last left handed QB to play for the Ducks until Gabriel. 

Also... Just to reopen this wound. Remember in 2014 how Ohio State lost their starting QB before the season. And then lost their back-up (but effectively the starter for the season) and they played a 3rd string QB who won them the B1G and National Championship! 

That's the kind of depth needed sometimes. I think we finally have something like that at Oregon.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:51 AM, David Marsh said:

but overall incredible by this staff to have this much talent. 

Amen, and thanks for the article giving us perspective and how many seasons have been lost due to the lack of an adequate backup QB.

AJ Feeley gets hurt in 1999, and the backup comes in and never gives up the starting position.  That's what you want!

AJ Feeley, WR Coach Chris Peterson and Joey Harrington

Petersen, Feeley and Harrington.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck