Jon Joseph

College Football - Is Another B1G (and SEC) Change on the Way?

Details are left to be worked out of course but revenue sharing may solve many issues and keep football as a college sport and not a direct NFL subsidiary.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The model being discussed by college sports' top conferences could go a long way toward settling outstanding lawsuits

Edited by Jon Joseph

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-and-big-ten-on-the-cusp-of-historic-move-to-change-cfb-forever

The B1G and SEC 'consortium' is taking proactive steps instead of continuing with the NCAA's reactive steps. I see this as being very positive for the sport of college football which is under attack on so many fronts with no leadership, only liabilities, from the NCAA.

• Thumbs Up 2

This will really solidify a hierarchy in college football we all know is there but it hasn't taken full control yet. 

Tier 1: B1G and SEC 

Tier 2: Big 12 and ACC 

Tier 3: everyone else 

This isn't a surprise to us right now but I'd the tier 1 schools can pay their players directly alot more than anyone else then the illusion of power 5(4) is completely gone. 

Right now a lot of people are still holding onto the illusion that just because the tier 2 schools have guaranteed seats in the playoff that they have a legitimate chance of winning it. 

The ACC stands a chance with Clemson (if they get their act together) and FSU but both are eyeballing an exit. 

The Big 12 is dillisional thinking they have a shot as I don't think a single school in the Big 12 meets the blue chip ratio. 

• Applause 1

Yeah.  Better do it now moving into the new "consortium", else we be right back to where we are now with the antiquated NCAA model.

Spent all this time, resources, and money (not to mention the complete destruction of the structure of college athletics) to get to this point.  Makes sense to address all the problems the old college model entailed and get a clean, fresh, relatively litigation free model to move the NFL-lite into its future.

Just glad that OBD will be, apparently, a significant part of the new dynamic.

Go Quackers!

• Thumbs Up 1

The proposal is precisely the reason the B1G and the SEC joined forces. David Marsh's comment is spot on. A division into a Super League has occurred. The B1G and the SEC will not agree to any change that would equate them with any 'lesser' conferences. 

'Management' when it comes to dealing with the players and their rights will be the Power 2 and possibly other programs that will be able to afford the buy-in. Not too different than what NCAA President Baker proposed without the power to have his proposal approved. 

The marketplace has separated the Power 2 from the rest. I think 'accretive' programs, Notre Dame, Clemson, North Carolina, and FSU for example, will be added to the Power 2 and that revenues within the two conferences will no longer be split evenly among member teams. Certain conference members may drop football but stay on board for other sports. Title IX implications will have to be reconciled. 

I say, 'Thank goodness for some leadership.'

On 4/30/2024 at 8:50 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The proposal is precisely the reason the B1G and the SEC joined forces. David Marsh's comment is spot on. A division into a Super League has occurred. The B1G and the SEC will not agree to any change that would equate them with any 'lesser' conferences. 

'Management' when it comes to dealing with the players and their rights will be the Power 2 and possibly other programs that will be able to afford the buy-in. Not too different than what NCAA President Baker proposed without the power to have his proposal approved. 

The marketplace has separated the Power 2 from the rest. I think 'accretive' programs, Notre Dame, Clemson, North Carolina, and FSU for example, will be added to the Power 2 and that revenues within the two conferences will no longer be split evenly among member teams. Certain conference members may drop football but stay on board for other sports. Title IX implications will have to be reconciled. 

I concur.  It's a bit of a cliche, but the cream always does rise to the top.  Free market adjustments are rarely "equitable" and those relegated to lower tiers and consequent reduced income can scream all they want, but the B1G/SEC (and their broadcast partners) are calling the shots going forward.  I still hate the way this all came down, but as predicted the OBD have landed on our webbed feet.  The remaining blue bloods in the ACC are in the process of leaving (the Big 12 is already bereft of same) and even ND will most likely have to give up their exhalted independence to stay relevant.

In addition it's only a matter of time before a highly ranked B1G or SEC team gets bumped by a Liberty or UTSA for a spot in the playoff and the next axe will fall.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 1

Imagine if we'd stayed to "help" Oregon StateOregon would be on outside looking in with half the funding going forward.  The Ducks probably would have lost Lanning to Alabama, and we'd be...

...headed to the bottom.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/30/2024 at 11:28 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The B1G and the SEC will not agree to any change that would equate them with any 'lesser' conferences. 

We were already getting equal shares with the Rutgers and Northwesterns of the B1G, just as we gave the Pig-2 an equal share for a hundred years when they clearly did not deserve it.  We have to do it within our conference, but no reason to be equal with anyone other than the SEC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/29/2024 at 11:38 PM, David Marsh said:

Tier 1: B1G and SEC 

Tier 2: Big 12 and ACC 

Tier 3: everyone else 

I think:

Tier 1 revamped B1G and SEC

Tier 2, rest of BCS

Tier 3 FCS

Tier 4 D3

The only questions are which schools are in Tier 1 long term? Is Iowa's market really big enough? Is Miami's? The schools on the margins are in for a fight over the next one to five years.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:34 PM, Solar said:

Is Iowa's market really big enough? Is Miami's? The schools on the margins are in for a fight over the next one to five years.

We need cannon fodder for the schedule.  We can't beat our brains against the best every week, and the perfect teams are those who are weaker, (on a given year) but bring a healthy sized number of eyeballs to the TV games.  Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa....

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/30/2024 at 3:34 PM, Solar said:

I think:

Tier 1 revamped B1G and SEC

Tier 2, rest of BCS

Tier 3 FCS

Tier 4 D3

The only questions are which schools are in Tier 1 long term? Is Iowa's market really big enough? Is Miami's? The schools on the margins are in for a fight over the next one to five years.

Iowa was a top 25 team in 2023 and has good viewership; better than Miami's which isn't saying a lot. The Orlando market is now larger than the Miami market.

Iowa sells out its stadium, 69, 250 seats, every game, and Miami doesn't come close to doing the same. Iowa has not had a losing season since 2012 and has an excellent home record some of which can be attributed to Iowa playing in a weak West Division. Oregon misses Iowa this season but plays Iowa in Iowa City in 2025.

All of the B1G public schools have a huge number of alumni who watch the games and subscribe to and watch the Big Ten Network. BTN has 50M subscribers and is expected to add more with Pac-4 coming on board.

On 4/30/2024 at 1:12 PM, Jon Joseph said:

All of the B1G public schools have a huge number of alumni who watch the games and subscribe to and watch the Big Ten Network. BTN has 50M subscribers and is expected to add more with Pac-4 coming on board.

Amen.  It is astounding the size of their fan/alumni base. There really is no alterative to Ohio State or Penn State in their particular states, and Michigan is just huge nationally.

We're in a GOOD PLACE now...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Looks like the Power 2 is leading the way toward settlement. What will the cost be per school? It would be nice for Oregon to have the $30M 'contributed' to the Pac-2. 

WWW.ESPN.COM

The leaders of college sports are involved in "deep discussions" to reach a legal settlement that would likely lay out the framework for sharing revenue with athletes in a future NCAA business model...

On 4/30/2024 at 12:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We need cannon fodder for the schedule.  We can't beat our brains against the best every week, and the perfect teams are those who are weaker, (on a given year) but bring a healthy sized number of eyeballs to the TV games.  Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Iowa....

We may want cannon fodder, but with this level of upheaval coming who's in and who's out won't be dictated based on "because they were there first." Not to say that some of the valuable markets don't have cannon fodder teams.

Once the have a target conference size then everything gets re-evaluated. One time relegation exercise based on historical prestige, market size and a dash of "what have you done lately."

Lastly to all. I don't think fans in the stands will be a big deal going forward in determining market size. With a 40ish team league it begins to be about national viewership/brand cache as pretty much any game will be viewed coast to coast.

A good summary of where the House case stands.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The inevitable march toward the professionalization of college athletics presents more questions with no answers

On 5/1/2024 at 11:54 AM, Solar said:

Lastly to all. I don't think fans in the stands will be a big deal going forward in determining market size. With a 40ish team league it begins to be about national viewership/brand cache as pretty much any game will be viewed coast to coast.

Agreed.  When I wrote "eyeballs," I meant primarily TV and later on--streaming.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Some thoughts on the B1G/SEC Joint Advisory Board and where a settlement of the House and other cases will lead college sports.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

After months of negotiations in the House antitrust case, the next evolution of athlete compensation is on the horizon.