Steven A

Ducks Garner an A+ in Transfer Portal Grade

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Handing out letter grades for a few of college football's marquee programs

• Thanks 1

They addressed positions of need better than any other program this cycle.  Grade: A+”

GO DL!!

And that was before Harmon...  Count our blessings and and enjoy the ride my friends!

(And USC did get a "B"...)  😆

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/3/2024 at 3:58 PM, Charles Fischer said:

USuCk is stooping to new lows, hoping that transfers from the Beavers will solidify their D.  Wow!  Never in my life did I think that the Condoms would have to rely on Beaver castaways.  Let the good times roll!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2024 at 3:58 PM, Charles Fischer said:

And that was before Harmon...  Count our blessings and and enjoy the ride my friends!

What's really kinda funny is that USC is relying on Beavo transfers to hold up that "B" grade.

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Athletic likes what Ohio State has pulled from the portal.

THEATHLETIC.COM

Inside Ohio State's newfound aggressive approach to talent acquisition and retention after three consecutive losses to rival Michigan.

Did tOSU 'win' the portal off-season? Very debatable IMO. 247 Sports does not have the Buckeyes close to No. 1. Ole Miss is No. 1 and OBD is 2nd. Ohio State is 8th.

However, like Michigan last season, tOSU used NIL to return all highly-ranked projected draft choices other than WR Marvin Harrison. 

2024 and likely many seasons thereafter will see a B1G Battle of the Os.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder about the criteria for arriving at these rankings. Is it number of needs addressed weighted by the perceived quality of the signees to address those needs? By these criteria, our Ducks would have to be rated very highly. I'd also think that coaches with the mindset that the best pathway to success is retention of people on the rosters whom are well known commodities, such as Kirby Smart and Ryan Day, might never be rated very highly on portal classes because they have fewer needs to address and would rather spend their NIL resources on known entities who could otherwise be tempted by  "tampering" solicitations from afar.

Having mentioned here Day here, Ohio State would almost certainly be rated highly this year in part by the pick-ups of ridiculously talented running back Judkins from Ole Miss and safety Caleb Downs from Alabama.  But without knowing the set of factors involved in generating the ratings, I tend to take off-season lists of this type as of dubious value (though am still glad to see the Ducks rated highly' regardless of the criteria).

• Great post! 1