Charles Fischer

When Times Were Better for USC Fans...(This Hasn't Aged Well)

Before the move to the B1G....remember the chortling of Trojan fans?

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yes. I remember the little SUC Ewoks dancing with joy until and ominous shadow arrived eclipsing their sun!

• Haha 2
  • Applause 2

Yep, their only hope to “take back” LA was to eliminate the competition via re-alignment. They were going to be sitting pretty when all P12 schools not called UCLA were going to be suddenly recruiting from lesser conferences.

This is an in your face 2-fer. They aren’t taking back LA, and we actually now have less competition in LA than before.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

The long-term exposure to SoCal exhaust fumes is a main contributor to cognitive impairment. It is common to find the afflicted to share their nonsensical thoughts on social media.

Many will also demonstrate a superiority complex that is loosely based upon ancient history. 

And USC is stuck with Lincoln Riley, whose teams do not play defense, and doesn’t seem to be a great recruiter.  

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 1:22 PM, OregonDucks said:

And USC is stuck with Lincoln Riley, whose teams do not play defense, and doesn’t seem to be a great recruiter

And they got Riley at a bargain for $11 mil per year plus bonuses...chuckle chuckle

• Haha 1

It will be interesting to see how each of the four former Pac schools adjust to playing at Big Ten venues on a week-after-week basis.  It is much different than being tasked with winning games at half-filled Tucson or Palo Alto stadiums.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

USC’s margin for error is much smaller without Derrick Harmon on board.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:22 AM, OregonDucks said:

And USC is stuck with Lincoln Riley, whose teams do not play defense, and doesn’t seem to be a great recruiter.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/7/2024 at 10:35 AM, HDuck said:

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

USC’s margin for error is much smaller without Derrick Harmon on board.

Quotes like below from the article above never get old...

"Riley might have made appropriate staffing adjustments, but the residue of last year’s failed 8-5 season likely contributed to Harmon choosing Oregon over USC. The Ducks are closer to a national title than the Trojans are. Harmon’s decision can be seen as rational in that context."

Interesting note....the author of the article, a hardcore Trojan, actually shot pictures for FishDuck when we played at USC years ago...  And he is still helping me with quotes like that!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/7/2024 at 11:00 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Quotes like below from the article above never get old...

"Riley might have made appropriate staffing adjustments, but the residue of last year’s failed 8-5 season likely contributed to Harmon choosing Oregon over USC. The Ducks are closer to a national title than the Trojans are. Harmon’s decision can be seen as rational in that context."

Interesting note....the author of the article, a hardcore Trojan, actually shot pictures for FishDuck when we played at USC years ago...  And he is still helping me with quotes like that!

I especially like this quote because it's so brutal and true:

“Is Lincoln Riley really that much better than any other Air Raid coach? Have we been caught up in the idea of Riley being successful those first couple of years (at Oklahoma) and then applied that to years in which his teams look outclassed and outcoached? I honestly don’t know the answer and I suspect I am not alone. Riley looks like a giant mystery right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2024 at 11:12 AM, kirklandduck said:

I especially like this quote because it's so brutal and true:

“Is Lincoln Riley really that much better than any other Air Raid coach? Have we been caught up in the idea of Riley being successful those first couple of years (at Oklahoma) and then applied that to years in which his teams look outclassed and outcoached? I honestly don’t know the answer and I suspect I am not alone. Riley looks like a giant mystery right now.

I mean, OU made the playoff 3 times, but gave up an average of 54 in those 3 games. Blue bloods shouldn’t need gimmicks to compete. Gimmicks are what you use when you have a talent deficit to spring some upsets and go 8-4. There’s a reason air raid doesn’t dominate the NFL.

Curious to see how this might apply to Chip this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2024 at 2:53 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

"Blue bloods shouldn’t need gimmicks to compete. Gimmicks are what you use when you have a talent deficit to spring some upsets and go 8-4." ... ."

"Curious to see how this might apply to Chip this year."

JabbaNoBargain, Great points. However, as a team ascends into that "Blue Blood" atmosphere, one should always be prepared for the unexpected. Michigan was not prepared for our "swinging gate" play when the Ducks played them at the Big House. Chip and UCLA were not prepared for an onside kick when they played up at Autzen and DL intended to sustain the Ducks' offensive momentum; and, Coach Prime was not prepared for an entertaining fake punt when DL wished to sustain the Ducks' offensive control of the ball and their momentum last season. Those are just a few options the Ducks have sprung on unsuspecting opponents. Were we Bluebloods then? No, but we were playing teams that have been so regarded.

When competing, be prepared for anything. When on the road, it is always wise to have options in one's kit bag - don't rely on them to win, but practice them just the same. Just ask Coach Andy Reid and his former OC, Eric Bienemy (Sp?) at KC Chiefs. They have seemed to be regarded now and then as an NFL blue blood-type organization. You brought up applicability to the "Chip" this year. ;-00

Regardless, your points are valid.

VR,

KCDuck1

Edited by KCDuck1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 5/7/2024 at 10:30 AM, NJDuck said:

And they got Riley at a bargain for $11 mil per year plus bonuses...chuckle chuckle

Doesn't the payment of bonuses involve things such as winning at a  rate higher than 7-4, or, maybe winning a bowl game?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/usc-trojans-ucla-bruins-in-for-tough-transition-to-big-ten-oregon-washington-expected-to-compete

Another brutally honest review of Riley's coaching at his last two stops and the rude awakening awaiting the LaLas in the B1G. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1