Charles Fischer

My FishDuck Friends: Does SIZE Matter?

My FishDuck Friends, as a newly single man, I cannot help but wonder if I am big enough to impress?

Does the size of my websites matter?

I thought I would have some fun with looking at the metrics of last year, 2023, and pass them along to you. I know I am impressed with them, but you know beauty-and-the-beholder, thing.  What I have below is the combination of both the FishDuck.com article site, and the Our Beloved Ducks forum.

The number of users on both sites:  368,000  Wowsa. This was a surprise that so many came to the two different sites last year, and it shouts to what this fall will bring!

Total page views:                           3,078,000  Holy Toledo! Over three million pages viewed between the two sites?  Whew!

Total Visits by all:                           1,200,000  People were on the sites a ton!

Average duration of visit:                         6:28 minutes

Top Ten Countries of Readers:  United States, (96%) Canada, Germany, Mexico, China, Guam, United Kingdom, Portugal, France, Costa Rica.

Some Observations:

1) For a fun set of quiet sites...we were bigger than I thought.  Now we are much smaller than the two huge subscription sites, but when you take into account the thousands of small mom-and-pop and retail sites--we compare pretty impressively.

2) Too bad I cannot leverage it into something beyond just paying-the-bills. But we would have to be 10 times bigger to be a commercial entity.

3) I like our size, as it is just-right.  And I love this community!

Oregon Poster_Fox Sports Video (2).jpg

• Go Ducks! 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 7
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I got to say, that I’m still shaking my head at the number of people who visited the two sites last year.

368,000?

Almost precisely in between a quarter and a half million people? Pretty amazing!

We got something special here…

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

In many ways, such as rules and monitors, your site is akin to a club.  Belonging is a privilege!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

I appreciate having a site I can check in and out of and share a thought or two without paying.  Sure I would like getting behind the scenes stuff from the other sites but it isn't important enough to pay for it.  Besides that I too cheap to support the bigger sites!

Keep up the great work!  I certainly wouldn't want to take on the task y'all have.  I'm sure there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff you deal with we will never know but appreciate your continued efforts to allow us to yap on occasion!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2024 at 6:48 AM, candyduck said:

Sure I would like getting behind the scenes stuff from the other sites

You end up getting a big portion of that stuff here for free.  What they are really paying for is timing at the subscription sites.  They hear it first, and then a day or two later--the free sites report it.

Thanks for the feedback, as I enjoy all the voices in this community.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/26/2024 at 7:01 AM, Charles Fischer said:

You end up getting a big portion of that stuff here for free.  What they are really paying for is timing at the subscription sites.  They hear it first, and then a day or two later--the free sites report it.

Thanks for the feedback, as I enjoy all the voices in this community.

Exactly...I can certainly wait and save a few dollars.  Enjoy the "grown up" conversations on here as well.😁

• Thanks 1

Oh, and BTW....our percentage of violation posts is still incredibly low.  Less than HALF of One-Percent of all posts are hidden as violations.  (Actually about 4/10ths of 1% is all)  Those are mostly new people getting adjusted to civilized conduct as we all did when joining.  And we have locked the Spammers out with all the money spent on tech changes to registration.  Cool!

giphy.gif

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/26/2024 at 6:48 AM, candyduck said:

I appreciate having a site I can check in and out of and share a thought or two without paying.  Sure I would like getting behind the scenes stuff from the other sites but it isn't important enough to pay for it.  Besides that I too cheap to support the bigger sites!

Keep up the great work!  I certainly wouldn't want to take on the task y'all have.  I'm sure there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff you deal with we will never know but appreciate your continued efforts to allow us to yap on occasion!

I had 247 Duck Territory for a couple years and found there wasn't that much value in the inside information. 

Scoop Duck I feel is far better value. However, I do find that a lot of the inside information really comes concerning recruiting. If you're not super into recruiting it doesn't do you much good. 

The only other time that inside information is potentially nice is during great coaching instability. Sometimes you get nuggets about hirings. 

However, with Lanning's hiring Mullens kept everything super under wraps and there were no real nuggets coming out about that. And Lanning himself doesn't reveal any real info about a potential hire until it leaks elsewhere. 

Also... We are hopefully back in an era of stability where there will be relatively few coaching hires. 

This season there were two. One internal promotion for the new inside lbs coach. And then the RB coach hire if Samples. 

• Thumbs Up 4

U R Da Duck! Thanks for giving us a Ducks meeting place; the perfect pond in which to ponder. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I sure am glad you clarified the topic.  

• Haha 2

Size always matters