FishDuck Article

How Much Technology Should College Football Have on the Sidelines?

The NCAA just approved a rule change that allows helmet communication systems inside of players’ helmets. The technology is not new in the NFL, and it was inevitable that college football would adopt helmet communications. That day has finally arrived, along with additional technology on the sidelines. Helmet communications will fundamentally change how college football is played and make it ..

FISHDUCK.COM

The NCAA just approved a rule change that allows helmet communication systems inside of players’ helmets. The technology is not new in...

• Applause 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks David for today's article.  Communication is so important, and I agree this will help all.

An additional benefit will be to make it harder for opponents to steal signals.  Hopefully there won't be the use of all those screens trying to prevent stealing signals held on the sideline next to the coaches.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/27/2024 at 7:40 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks David for today's article.  Communication is so important, and I agree this will help all.

An additional benefit will be to make it harder for opponents to steal signals.  Hopefully there won't be the use of all those screens trying to prevent stealing signals held on the sideline next to the coaches.

I think sign stealing was he driving force behind the headset move. 

One of the things I love from the Kelly era are the bonkers signs the players held up. Everyone assumed they meant something but the reality was they were just there to divert attention. 

I think a few teams spent a while trying to decide those signs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

A very informative article David, and I thank you for explaining the rule and many different implications. While I agree that teams that best afford the technology will benefit, I also believe that the knowledge and skill of the quarterback, and the tendency of the OC to place confidence in that quarterback will also be the difference among teams.

Cristobal, for example, would not allow a QB to over-ride a play-call. Yet Dilly and Stein had that confidence in Bo Nix that created many great matchups and explosion plays as a result.  So indirectly, teams that will benefit most are those with good QB coaching, and a more lax policy to staying-on-the-called-play.

Great stuff to ponder David, thanks!

Bo Nix_Nancy Paiva.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you, DM for another terrific article. One other new thing that one wonders why has taken so long. In 2024 the NFL is experimenting with the 'electronic measurement' of 1st downs. Chains will still be used to help the refs with eyeball placement of the ball but not in test cases in determining first downs. 

Adding helmet communication and sideline tablets is but one of many changes that are further separating the B1G Ducks from the financial fledglings. This includes the sport recognizing the Power 2 conferences with the B1G and the SEC receiving a much larger share of CFB playoff revenue. 

46 of the 47 most-watched CFB games in 2023-24 featured at least one B1G or SEC team. The No. 1 watched game was Ohio State vs Michigan. The ACC will implode before its media deal expires in 2036. Add Notre Dame and the big ACC brands to the B1G/SEC and perhaps, a B12 team or two, and why not play a B1G vs SEC 'football college world series' without including Libery in the field and a leftover ACC and B12 team ranked outside of the top 12 (14,16 come 2026?) in the playoff field? 

Antitrust? Share 'world series' money with teams participating in ACC, B12, G5 playoffs. 

The Kansas City Chiefs are the World Champions of Football even though the Saskatchewan Roughriders were not invited to the dance.

Thanks again. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

On 5/27/2024 at 9:21 AM, Jon Joseph said:

46 of the 47 most-watched CFB games in 2023-24 featured at least one B1G or SEC team.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I for one, am not a big fan of the new tech being used in today's sports.

I prefer the fallibility of the human element. 

The ability to read defenses or the offensive play call, is what separates good from great.

Using technology to override penalty calls or first down yardage, etc, takes away from the flow of the game and allows for refs not to worry about getting the call right first time. Cuz it can be corrected on review.

Thanks David for the excellent explanation. I'm sure Lanning and Co. will master the tech well. I hope it results in better Duck success. 

• Thumbs Up 1