Jon Joseph

Well, Hush My Grits! (CFP Playoff Sites & Dates)

College World Series Super Regional Sites: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky (Oregon State,) North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (OREGON), and Virginia. What in the heck happened with Louisiana and Mississippi? 

Now, let's look at the 202425 College Football Playoff sites.

FIGHTINGGOBBLER.COM

When the 2024 college football season begins, so does the expanded College Football Playoff when it goes from four teams to 12. That opens the door for a lot of

The champ game will be played in Atlanta on January 20, 2025, in Mercedes Benz Stadium. Four of the six sites hosting 2nd and 3rd round games will be played in Dixie. 

2nd round will see the B1G champ in the Rose Bowl and the B12 champ in the Fiesta Bowl. The ACC champ will play in the Peach Bowl in Mercedes Benz Stadium which as noted, is the Champion Game site and the SEC Champion game site. The SEC champion will play its first-round game in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans. 

So five games will be played down south. But, Wait A Minute! Four games will be played on the respective campuses of the teams seeded 5th through 8th. I have yet to see a preseason Top 25 poll that does not project at least two first-round games being hosted in Dixie and many polls project having three first-round games hosted by SEC teams Thus, eight of the eleven playoff games in 2024-25 could be played south of the Mason-Dixon line. 

When Bowl Games meant only Fun In The Sun for teams and their fans, flying south to play bowl games made sense. Today, there is too much on the postseason line to play 72%+ of the games in the home territory of the conference that dominated the BCS and the four-team playoffs. 

I have been disappointed to date by the silence emanating from BiG HQ and B1G Commissioner, Tony Petitti. Especially with SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey being widely quoted regarding the playoff and the future of the playoff. The Sounds of Silence coming from Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff led nowhere but to the demise of the Conference of Champions. 

I hope Puddles and the B1G have hired the right person to lead the way and not roll over for the SEC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even the folks Down South have something to Jerk about. 

SOUTHBOUNDANDDOWN.COM

In this article, we share some of the most direct responses on X (formerly known as Twitter) from fans surrounding the College Football Playoff schedule.

CFP Playoff Schedule.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/6/2024 at 11:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Four of the six sites hosting 2nd and 3rd round games will be played in Dixie.

So it's true . . . The South shall rise again.

• Haha 1

Basically a continuation of the bowl mindset and wanting games at traditional sites that usually have good weather in January.

I mean historically, who wants to go to Detroit in December? Hopefully we'll eventually escape from this mindset and take advantage of amazing venues that have controlled climates. I have to think part of the challenge is that most of these venues are NFL homes, which yes indeed, have NFL teams playing in them. I'm sure it's solvable with a little more planning.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2024 at 3:30 PM, Steven A said:

So it's true . . . The South shall rise again.

The uprising began in 1984 with Georgia and Oklahoma winning their suit against the NCAA, which ended the NCAA's broadcast monopoly.  Then in 1998, SEC commish Roy Kramer convinced the B1G and the Pac-10 that college football needed 'One True Champion' more than these two conferences needed the Rose Bowl. 

Thus, 'It Just Means More,' the demise of the Pac-12, and the B1G taking a football back seat to the boys from Dixie. 

On 6/6/2024 at 3:42 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I mean historically, who wants to go to Detroit in December? Hopefully we'll eventually escape from this mindset and take advantage of amazing venues that have controlled climates. I have to think part of the challenge is that most of these venues are NFL homes, which yes indeed, have NFL teams playing in them. I'm sure it's solvable with a little more planning.

Personally, they can balance it out more with couple of venues in the West.  Las  Vegas and Los Angeles areas to name a few.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2024 at 2:48 PM, NJDuck said:

Personally, they can balance it out more with couple of venues in the West.  Las  Vegas and Los Angeles areas to name a few.

Oh yeah, tons of options now. Used to pretty much only be Pasadena and Glendale. Get rid of traditional bowl ties and you can add Vegas, more LA, San Diego, Phoenix…not to mention tons of Midwest options. More about the game than a family vacation when there is another game to played next week.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2024 at 1:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The uprising began in 1984 with Georgia and Oklahoma winning their suit against the NCAA, which ended the NCAA's broadcast monopoly.  Then in 1998, SEC commish Roy Kramer convinced the B1G and the Pac-10 that college football needed 'One True Champion' more than these two conferences needed the Rose Bowl. 

Thus, 'It Just Means More,' the demise of the Pac-12, and the B1G taking a football back seat to the boys from Dixie. 

Well,

It sure did stink in 2003 when USC embarrassed Auburn in Death Valley and had to share the National Title with LSU.  USuC would've shut down the SEC's ascent with a good ole butt whipping that year.

Ironically, Les Miles called out USC in 2005, but dated not challenge the Trojans to a straight up game to start that season - knowing full well ISC was better than any SEC team.

I don't think it was a bad idea.  It's just too bad Dennis Dixon tore his knee up in 2007 and jettisoned our first shot at a Natty we surely would have earned that year (ah, injuries...killed two our our best shots as I believe would have hung with Ohio State had we had both our starting WRs in 2014).

Besides, do you think we'd still have a conference AND the traditional Rose Bowl matchup given the changes we've witnessed in just the past two years?

I propose a toast to Arizona State President Michael Crow.  Author of the single best quote to ever to come out of a PAC12 President: something to the effect "the status quo in the conference is excellent!!!"

Hip hip hooray.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A great opportunity for the NFL-lite to "saddle" up to the NFL-Heavy. 

Coordinate with enviromentally controlled NFL stadiums to feature NFL-lite playoff games on weeks that the resident NFL team is on the road.  PLENTY of TV money in the new NFL-lite to pay Whatever royalties asked for by the individual stadium locations; and we all know how mega-organizations just Love to pad each other's bottom lines in the name of that "quarterly financial report card" they be so beholden to.

Start making some inroads as a "football product" partner, rather than a rival.  Spend less money in litigation...make more money by collusion.....errr...partnership!

Win-Win for all.

(Now how to "saddle-up" to MY partner when she realizes the "football playoff widow" she will become Dec 1st through mid-Feb????🤔)

Thanks, Mike West.

Not so long ago, Michael (Eat) Crow stated: "Behind Larry Scott, the conference is perfectly positioned."

Perhaps noted scholar Mike was confused between Larry's behind, and Chaucher's character Nicholas's behind, as referred to in The  Miller's Tale (Tail?)

• Haha 1