Charles Fischer

Ducks Lose 10-6 to Aggies in Super-Regional

The second game is Sunday at 4:30 PM Pacific on ESPN2.
———————//

Geez, what a big stadium for baseball, and boy they talked up the A&M starting pitcher.  Mason Neville got a base hit to lead off, and then Anson Aroz blasted a homer for an Oregon 2-0 lead at the top of the first inning.  Aggies now get their batting chance for the bottom of the first inning, and let's hope RJ Gordon has a great day!

Mr. FishDuck

3-2 Aggies after one inning.  RJ Gordon does not have the control today, and had a disastrous first inning.  40 pitches as well, so he will probably be replaced soon.

Mr. FishDuck

RJ struggling with command…..he’s all over the place. 

Unless that changes, he’ll be yanked soon.

Hard to be effective when you’re constantly pitching behind in the count.

Oregon bats are looking good today!

6-3 Ducks after two innings.  Going to be a long one!

Mr. FishDuck

6-4 Ducks, after the end of three innings.

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

7-6 TAMU after four innings.

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

As incredible as the pitching was last weekend, we are starting out the opposite today.

It makes me appreciate the performance last week, but I almost wonder if today’s pitchers aren’t a little wowed by the atmosphere?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

10-6, bad guys, after five innings.

I can’t believe how bad our pitching has been today…whew!

Mr. FishDuck

Same score after six innings.

Mr. FishDuck

Still 10-6 Aggies, after seven innings.

Mr. FishDuck

Basically the difference between the SEC and everyone else.  Aggies in trouble and they're able to bring in a guy throwing 99 with a wipeout slider, we don't have anyone even close to that sort of stuff.

Bummer. The crowd was impressive. The fans were into the game and never down when A+M was behind.

Better luck in game 2. 

I cannot complain, as we certainly had our chances. We had great pitching in the latter half of the game, and if we had had not even a fantastic performance, but a routine one from our first two pitchers, we could’ve won that game by a 6-3 or 6-4 kind of score.

None of us are perfect, and sometimes pitchers have a great day like last weekend, or a tough day like today.

Mr. FishDuck

I do not agree with Waz's decision to leave Mercado for that long, the game was pretty out of reach, it didn't make sense to basically use him up for the next two games, I'm sure he could go an inning on Monday if we play, but it seems like it was unnecessary to leave him in for 60+ pitches, could have kept him at 40 and maybe gained an inning for Monday.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/8/2024 at 5:10 PM, spartan2785 said:

Basically the difference between the SEC and everyone else.  Aggies in trouble and they're able to bring in a guy throwing 99 with a wipeout slider, we don't have anyone even close to that sort of stuff.

Back in the day, SC had Hall of Famer Tom Seaver (RIP) on the mound and many other good pitchers alongside Tom. USC's program is a shell of its former self. Stanford baseball has fallen off also. And ASU turned out good teams year after year.

Seaver transferred in from JC and in his one season at SC, 1965, he went 10-2.

A few years back the SEC decided to improve in basketball and baseball. Missions accomplished. 

Yeah, it's really sad to see the programs in the Pac-12 just descend into irrelevancy.  Baseball used to be a number one or number two conference, now it's a afterthought.  Horrible management at USC, UCLA, Arizona, and ASU who all should be top 15 programs every year with the amount of talent down there.  Their facilities though are. garbage compared to most programs though.

Oregon is on the rise, as we have made the sweet 16 of Baseball two years in a row. Now that is not championship level yet, it is quite respectable and the last challenges for Waz to solve are going to be recruiting great pitchers.

I believe he will get it done!

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/8/2024 at 3:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Oregon is on the rise, as we have made the sweet 16 of Baseball two years in a row. Now that is not championship level yet, it is quite respectable and the last challenges for Waz to solve are going to be recruiting great pitchers.

I believe he will get it done!

I think it's going to be hard to do moving to the B1G, not many good programs, not many opportunities to say that you will consistently play against the best.  I'm sure they will be able to stay a top 20 or so program, but it's going to be hard to get those elite pitchers when you aren't going to be playing against the best week in week out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/8/2024 at 4:23 PM, spartan2785 said:

it's going to be hard to get those elite pitchers when you aren't going to be playing against the best week in week out.

I don't share that pessimism.  First of all, there are two Baseball programs in the B1G that are good right now and were in their Regional Championships in Nebraska and Indiana.  Add Washington, USC, and UCLA....and Oregon State in nonconference, as Waz has said he wants to continue to play them--and you have a good start to a tough slate.

Waz has also been very conscious of scheduling teams that can help RPI, and he will certainly do that with his scheduling next year.  

I do not look at the B1G dragging us down, I look at Oregon having a great opportunity to be the B1G dog, and with tournaments in the south, inviting good teams to PK Park....we can do just fine...IMHO.

Mr. FishDuck

As of Saturday night there have been 12 games played.   9 of the 12, the winner scored 10 runs or more.

3 teams (Friday/Saturday games) have already advanced to Omaha.

Their scoring averages during 2024 were nationally ranked:  4, 12, 13

The teams they beat were ranked:  148, 174, 183

Uh, looks like you better bring some offense.

I believe I read somewhere that out of the 16 teams that won regionals to advance to a Super, the Ducks scored the fewest runs.  (And, are ranked 130th in per game runs scored this season)

• Great post! 1

..."the Ducks scored the fewest runs in the regional."

On 6/8/2024 at 8:33 PM, HDuck said:

..."the Ducks scored the fewest runs in the regional."

Right.  The pitching we went up against was superb, but for that weekend...we were even better.  94 home runs for the year does not suck.  (Look it up)

Where were these Oregon Baseball fans through 50 games of the season?  So now I see them, and they're critical in a Super-Regional?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/8/2024 at 4:08 PM, spartan2785 said:

I do not agree with Waz's decision to leave Mercado for that long, the game was pretty out of reach, it didn't make sense to basically use him up for the next two games, I'm sure he could go an inning on Monday if we play, but it seems like it was unnecessary to leave him in for 60+ pitches, could have kept him at 40 and maybe gained an inning for Monday.

Personally I think he should have come in 2 batters earlier while it was still a game, then if needed keep him in to get the win. I think Waz let's the pitches stay in the game for too long when they start throwing wild pitches or hitting multiple batters it's time to go.

Edited by Dave23
Spelling

This is an impossible discussion.  Why?  Because I've said the same thing umpteen times, and was yelling at the TV to "pull the damn pitcher!"  But Waz leaves him in, and the pitcher then is awesome and doesn't give up any more runs.  So I was wrong and Waz was right.

Other times the pitchers left in gave up more, and put the game out of reach.

Or the relief pitcher brought in stinks it up, and walks his first three batters?  (Like TODAY)  So we should have left the starting pitcher in?  How do you know?

Being a Baseball coach is harder than it looks...

Oregon Baseball: Coach Mark Wasikowski credits fan electricity for win

We've been in four straight Regionals, and two straight Super-Regional,

and that has not been done at Oregon before...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't think anyone is bringing down what Oregon has done in the last 4 years, Waz has been a big upgrade over Horton.  It is just apparent where we don't quite match where most of the programs that get to the world series are.  We have a decent enough offense I think, we just don't have arms that blow you away.  They had a great regional round, it is much improved from last year I think, but it still doesn't have the stuff that some of these other programs have. 

I think tomorrow we'll hang tough, it will be a close game, hopefully this time we hold our nerve a bit better!

Right. If anybody has been reading what I’ve written 50 sometimes over the course of the season, they would know that I have been critical of our pitching.

And I say again earlier in this thread, that the next step is improved recruiting in the pitching. I am not saying we don’t have room for improvement at all. As I too am critical.

But I just wonder where all these critical fans have been for the last four months…

”We love you when you’re winning.”

Mr. FishDuck

Hey, at least the Ducks game was entertaining. In Athens, Dawgs lost their opening game to N C State 18-1. Demoralization occurs quickly when you give up 11 runs in the second inning. I'll cheer both teams on tomorrow, but

have to hope that the Dawgs can muster some hope for themselves. But, hey, baseball is a funny game.

Let me be clear I love Coach Waz and he's done an amazing job. It's all about coaching style and for me I would give the freshman a fairly short leash in a big game with probably the biggest crowd he's ever played in front of. Just some minor strategy adjustments is all I suggest. 

That being said I know you have to stand behind your pictures. Let them face adversity and get themselves out of trouble to build confidence and resiliency. Waz is taking the team in a great direction. He needs to hone his game just like Dan Lanning is doing and they both are getting better every year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Say it's not so Ducks and Beavers. Sunday could be the last day REAL Pac-12 teams compete in an athletic event. It is fitting that this article comes from the team site that started the Pac-12 on its way to oblivion.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

We might have arrived at the very last day of Pac-12 sports. We’ll find out as the day unfolds.

Boy, tthat would be a sad day indeed!

• Thanks 1