Charles Fischer

Oh Good Grief! Such Sensitive Duck Feathers!

WWW.SI.COM

Not everyone is on board with Oregon football being a leader for expectations. Former Duck and national radio host Geoff Schwartz said he's

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I gotta say, I do prefer being an underdog. 

But that’s just my inferiority complex that I have yet to shed since the pre-DL days.

Big expectations are great of we can beat them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon is certainly deserving of the attention, but I can appreciate Schwartz’s point of view on expectations and preferring to stay more under the radar.  

It’s not a terrible thing or a surprising thing that Oregon is getting so much praise.  Where there is smoke there is usually fire.  The Program has tons of support, a very high caliber coach, and is potentially becoming a recruiting powerhouse.  

As fans, it’s easy to keep hearing all of the praise and sometimes become over confident because we want to believe all of these positive things.  So then we get a huge letdown when the team under performs.  It really sucks to lose a game you really feel your team should have won.  

Either way, I’m enjoying all of the positivity around the Ducks.  It gets me fired up and so ready for the season.  Also, it’s probably very good press on many different fronts like recruiting, the portal, and all of the different forms of financial support that players and the team can receive.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I prefer to sip my Kool aide vs gulp it. 

• Haha 3
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Anticipation has always been college football’s middle name. The Ducks probably get more of that on a national level than most because, well, we’re the Ducks. Now we have to go out and prove it. Culture change.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The last two years the Ducks have surged in silence. 

2022 all the attention out west was on USC. 

2023 it was all on Colorado. 

I'm both years Lanning has gotten his HCing legs and built his roster. If it wasn't for a lack of depth at key positions, Oregon would have won the conference and made the playoffs both years. 

Now we are ready for the expectations. 

Oregon should make the playoff this year at a minimum. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Posted (edited)

7 teams will be chosen by 13 folks subjectively. You want and need positive publicity.

Being ranked in the top 10 of the first AP Poll does make a difference whether it should or not. As a member of the B1G Puddles will not fly under the CFB radar. Plus when it comes to recruiting you don't want your light hidden under a bushel.  

Sorry, George. I demure. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 3