Smith72

Blast From the Past - Dan Fouts

One of my all time favorite Ducks!

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

He certainly thrived in the “Air Coryell” offense. First QB to pass for 4,000 yards in consecutive years. Don Coryell’ s offense and coaching style helped Fouts become an NFL Hall of Fame QB. 

What is interesting is that the Ducks ranked 10th in total offense with Fouts in 1970 with an average of 212 total yards/game.

My, how times have changed. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember the spring game in '70 when this unheard of about to be a soph, as frosh weren't eligible then, threw a 60+ ydish rope to Leland Glass and everyone (all the dozens of us) at the game wondered who that kid was.

A year later a high school friend was being recruited and Dan was his student guide.  I was asked to come along since I had known the recruit forever.  Dan took us to his dorm room and I'm sure there were some textbooks among all the QB books he had, YA Tittle, Eddie Lebaron, Johhny U.  West Coast bias since his dad did the 49ers broadcasts at the time.

Later that weekend the recruit and I were on our way to meet Dan and the recruiting coach, George Siefert, for dinner.  We were jaywalking and a car honked at us, so I gave a fine feathered wave at the car.  Opps, George and Dan on the way to dinner.

At dinner I told the story of how I got a BBall scholarship for fall term '69.  It seems there was a frosh named Stephen A. Smith, and thanks to a typo I got tuition that term.  To add insult to injury, poor Stephen from Rio American High School in Sacto lost his girlfriend.   Barbie Benton went on to bigger and better things, just ask Hef (not our later coach!!).  George said he was ok with that since it was a BBall scholly, otherwise dinner would have been on me.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dan Was a great Ducks representative on the field and in the boadcast booth.

Thanks so much for the post.

• Applause 1

On 6/26/2024 at 1:31 PM, Steven A said:

I remember the spring game in '70 when this unheard of about to be a soph, as frosh weren't eligible then, threw a 60+ ydish rope to Leland Glass and everyone (all the dozens of us) at the game wondered who that kid was.

A year later a high school friend was being recruited and Dan was his student guide.  I was asked to come along since I had known the recruit forever.  Dan took us to his dorm room and I'm sure there were some textbooks among all the QB books he had, YA Tittle, Eddie Lebaron, Johhny U.  West Coast bias since his dad did the 49ers broadcasts at the time.

Later that weekend the recruit and I were on our way to meet Dan and the recruiting coach, George Siefert, for dinner.  We were jaywalking and a car honked at us, so I gave a fine feathered wave at the car.  Opps, George and Dan on the way to dinner.

At dinner I told the story of how I got a BBall scholarship for fall term '69.  It seems there was a frosh named Stephen A. Smith, and thanks to a typo I got tuition that term.  To add insult to injury, poor Stephen from Rio American High School in Sacto lost his girlfriend.   Barbie Benton went on to bigger and better things, just ask Hef (not our later coach!!).  George said he was ok with that since it was a BBall scholly, otherwise dinner would have been on me.

Incredible!  Wowsa...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

As president of the Orange County Duck Club in the mid nineties I helped put together a terrific golf outing fundraiser. One of our Duck members who played for the ducks invited his friend, Dan Fouts, who helped make the tournament a financial and Ducky event.

Dan chipped right in and got some other former players to play. He was very gracious unlike another former Oregon star of that era.

In Dan's playing days nobody stood in the pocket always under huge duress like he did.

History Of Oregon Senior Quarterbacks - Part 1 - Addicted To Quack

• Applause 1