Jon Joseph

Maryland's Experience In Leaving the ACC for the B1G Applies to What a Number of Oregon Fans are Feeling Today

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

There’s more enthusiasm for the Big Ten around College Park than there was during the school's muted celebration in 2014.

I posted this article elsewhere on OBD today. The more I pondered the article I felt it was worth a separate subject post as the concerns Maryland fans and administrators went through ten years ago are with Oregon today. 

Without the move to the B1G, Maryland powers-that-be knew they would not have enough revenue to adequately sponsor and fund varsity athletics. Maryland recognized (as Clemson and Florida State have recognized) that the ACC was not going to produce and provide adequate income to allow the Terps to compete at championship levels. ( Why can't John Canzano, Jon Wilner, Ashley Adamson, and unspooled Beavers and Cougars fans figure THIS out? It's painful but it's the Real World of business and not the mythology of the Student-Athlete playing after-school sports,)

As a founding member of the ACC in 1953, it was difficult to decide to go B1G. The campus was split and there were a lot of angry Maryland alumni. Today, Maryland has thrived in sports like lacrosse, soccer, and men's and women's basketball. A once-insolvent athletic department usually finishes close to breaking even or in the black. 

The trepidations of a decade ago have disappeared. The Terps are happy campers who wish their football team would do something B1G!

• Applause 2

Thanks JJ.

A good read to compare our move.

I can't wait to see how our viewership explodes being in the B1G.

Will only help recruiting and NIL.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think our move to the B1G already helped get the recent CB recruit from the East, and many of us are already grateful for the move.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Saw a thread on a Beavis board last year. The subject was asking what Oregon State should do when USC came back in a few years begging to come back to the PAC 12. Many said a two for one home split. 

You can't make this up.

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 7/2/2024 at 6:02 PM, Duckley Palace said:

Saw a thread on a Beavis board last year. The subject was asking what Oregon State should do when USC came back in a few years begging to come back to the PAC 12. Many said a two for one home split. 

You can't make this up.

I don't know... I think after a few years in the B1G USC may consider returning to the Pac-2 even with a massive pay cut just to escape Oregon.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Is your team better or worse off in the new college football landscape taking effect this year?

Expansion (and contraction) winners and losers.

On 7/2/2024 at 10:05 PM, David Marsh said:

I don't know... I think after a few years in the B1G USC may consider returning to the Pac-2 even with a massive pay cut just to escape Oregon.

Same with UCLA. I don’t see them being competitive in the B1G but they are desperate for the pay.  

Edited by OregonDucks

On 7/2/2024 at 6:02 PM, Duckley Palace said:

You can't make this up.

Yep, still a lot of them that think the name “Pac12” will equate to automatic success and P5 status once they get up to 8 teams, no matter who they are. They seem to forget that it didn’t equal success when the membership was legitimate, but sure, adding Nevada and 5 others of that ilk = instant P5 status and riches.

But my favorite Beavis belief remains them believing the civil war being played in Corvallis this year is somehow them doing OBD a favor.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/2/2024 at 10:05 PM, David Marsh said:

The Trojan lads only flex on Oregon is " The Big Ten made us full revenue partners. Oregon is worth a half share". Not realizing that Oregon is doing so much more with so much less(in their eyes). What's going to happen when Oregon stomps them out as a "half share pity case" ?

I truly think they wanted nothing to do with the Ducks. They tried to play that down when it became obvious the Big Ten was going to just go ahead and add them. Of course mighty USC isn't scared of Oregon. They're happy to have another travel buddy😉

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/3/2024 at 1:24 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Yep, still a lot of them that think the name “Pac12” will equate to automatic success and P5 status once they get up to 8 teams, no matter who they are. They seem to forget that it didn’t equal success when the membership was legitimate, but sure, adding Nevada and 5 others of that ilk = instant P5 status and riches.

But my favorite Beavis belief remains them believing the civil war being played in Corvallis this year is somehow them doing OBD a favor.

I mean they could just replace us with Idaho. I'd be cool with it.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1