Charles Fischer

Recruiting Analyst States That Oregon is, 'Aggressive, but Calculated'

I cannot copy the entire article from 247 Sports, but below are a few juicy quotes...

"What stands out to me is that there's a lot of top tier talent left on the board, especially in that top 32 conversation," Cooper Petagna said. 'The job that they have done from top to bottom I think just goes to show... that this is not a one-off. "

"About those 16 commitments, 13 of those guys are in the top 247. So, 13 of their 16 are in the top 250 ranked nationally. If you're talking to Oregon fans about what they've done, it's been pretty incredible, just not only the quantity but the quality."

"They have a very aggressive approach on the recruiting trail, but it's also very calculated. It's not irresponsible. What I mean by that is they're not out there trying to win the perception battle every year. They're very calculated about where they're recruiting and who they're going head-to-head with."

Lanning and LupoiWP at WSU_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

So it seems like they're saying that they aren't just buying players with NIL.

But that means ... Lanning is a better recruiter than Sark and Riley? 

But no... That can't be... That would destroy those fan bases if that were true! 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2024 at 10:51 AM, David Marsh said:

So it seems like they're saying that they aren't just buying players with NIL.

Or Oregon’s collective is willing to pony up but it has to be for the right player, in a position of need. 

I see and hear so much these days about $$ the recruits and transfers appear to be getting. No matter how anyone feels about "student athelete" getting $, there always seems to be some subtle negativity attached. 

Not one of us would criticize an employer who paid us more to come work for them, but if athletes do it, the coaches and teams are somehow less than good recruiters, or even somehow morally inept?

Like it or not, the new rules allow for $$ but paid upfront, not under the table.

These are not the days of Cam Newton (former highest paid college qb).

EVERYONE does NIL. 

What I really admire about coach Lanning and his staff, is the quality of young men they are bringing into the program.

Not just great ball players, but quality human beings. 

I haven't seen any guys taking some plays off, or showboating themselves. 

Team, family, trust, hardwork. 

And, (knock on wood) no serious problems with the law. 

We've seen different styles of recruiting since Chip and Helfrich, even Mari(0).

I really like what DL is doing.

This is just his 3rd year! Wow!

A little or alot, the NIL playing field is level for all participants. Oregon has and is showing the ability to adapt and innovate. And not just with the coolest uniforms.

Aggressive, yet calculated. 

Whatever it is, it's working big time.

Keep it up, Sco Ducks!!

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/14/2024 at 3:09 PM, DanLduck said:

Like it or not, the new rules allow for $$ but paid upfront, not under the table.

Exactly. Now Oregon’s supporters can legally pay recruits and players (vs. secret handshakes with envelopes of cash changing hands, under the table). It has leveled the playing field for programs like Oregon.

I do wish there were more rules (e.g., team salary caps, “rookie scales”) and transparency re: NIL. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/14/2024 at 3:21 PM, OregonDucks said:

Exactly. Now Oregon’s supporters can legally pay recruits and players (vs. secret handshakes with envelopes of cash changing hands, under the table). It has leveled the playing field for programs like Oregon.

I do wish there were more rules (e.g., team salary caps, “rookie scales”) and transparency re: NIL. 

Transparency would be nice, but really, is what you make any if my business?

As long as the product on the field is excellent, as long as our school isn't allowing criminals to succeed, as long as what we're doing is legal, I'll keep buying tickets and reading OBD.

• Applause 1

Somebody will kill the Golden Goose. It all stinks. I understand the motivation, but that don't make it right.