Charles Fischer

Lanning Did NOT Make Oregon Recruiting History Today with Rivals 5-Star DJ Pickett

See last couple of posts at the bottom of this thread...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon has had two Rivals 5-Stars in a couple of classes in the past, but never three of the them.  If DJ Pickett announces for Oregon, he would join Dakorien Moore, and Jordon Davison, who are fellow Rivals 5-Stars.

Not only is everyone nervous about hometown Miami, but now there are murmurs about LSU squeezing in at the last minute. You want entertainment?

screenshot-2024-07-17-at-2-11-39%E2%80%A

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Massive rumors abound in Miami!

img_8852-jpeg.611603

Mr. FishDuck

Prediction #1: Yes

Prediction #2: That history will only last a couple days!

screenshot-2024-07-17-at-11-29-43%E2%80%

giphy.gif

My Duck-Buddies...this is silly football gossip--at the highest levels?

Gotta enjoy the view...

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/17/2024 at 2:34 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Prediction #2: That history will only last a couple days!

McNutt is a Rivals 4-Star...but a dandy to have, should he announce to the Ducks!

Mr. FishDuck

img_3407-jpeg.611709

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Are we having fun yet?

giphy.gif

The drama of recruiting 5-Stars...gotta love it!

Mr. FishDuck

Whoa.  A major Oregon recruiting guru now feels with a half-hour to go, that Pickett is going to LSU?  Whew!

Mr. FishDuck

Yep - seems like LSU made a big time late push

Well, he went to LSU after all!

We're loaded at corner, so no sweat.  But it was fun!

200.gif

Swimming in the deep big-boy waters has stuff like this happen.

Just as Texas was in the drivers seat for three players that Oregon nabbed at the last moment...we just got our Karma. 

All the major pundits picked Oregon...

Mr. FishDuck

Kind of makes you wonder how many kids are going to use Oregon to leverage a better NIL deal? ... if in fact that's the case. 

On 7/17/2024 at 4:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

But it was fun!

Watching him not pick Miami!!

On 7/17/2024 at 4:10 PM, Krsmqn said:

Kind of makes you wonder how many kids are going to use Oregon to leverage a better NIL deal? ... if in fact that's the case. 

I think in this case he wanted to leave home, but not as far as Oregon--is the best guess.  But hey...Lanning is going to get HIS share, and we'll be fine.

N.RIVALS.COM

2025 all-teams football recruiting team rankings by Rivals.com

You know, a Top-5 ranking at the moment with a 4.0 average doesn't suck!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Bummer.  Hopefully, we pick him up in the transfer portal next year. 
🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

Bummer. I’m wondering how to react.

Should I: 

A. Blame LSU’s NIL like a SUC fan?

B. Say we didn’t want him anyway like a fusky fan?

C. Say oh well can’t win them all. On to the next 4/5 star like a Duck fan.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 6
  • Thumbs Up 3

Is it really over till he signs?

On 7/17/2024 at 5:06 PM, Just Ducky said:

Is it really over till he signs?

Nope.  I saw on a podcast somewhere that a family member that was spoken to said Pickett wouldn't be shutting down his recruitment after he verbally commits.  So he's still up for grabs until December.

Just yesterday I posted how I thought the late drama is bogus and they know where they are going all along.

Maybe these kids are benefitting by make all sides reconsider their final NIL offer in the heat of the moment of the player's self imposed deadline, then just go with the highest bidder to a place you are confident will be great even if not your true top pick.

And for all this, nothing is final either way until signing day.NIL offer can be changed and player can change their commitment.

On 7/17/2024 at 4:39 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Bummer. I’m wondering how to react.

Should I: 

A. Blame LSU’s NIL like a SUC fan?

B. Say we didn’t want him anyway like a fusky fan?

C. Say oh well can’t win them all. On to the next 4/5 star like a Duck fan.

Spot on, people are so weird, but they almost all say a hybrid of, “we like a player who wants to be a Duck and loves football, not just money”.

On 7/17/2024 at 6:05 PM, Solar said:

Just yesterday I posted how I thought the late drama is bogus and they know where they are going all along.

Maybe these kids are benefitting by make all sides reconsider their final NIL offer in the heat of the moment of the player's self imposed deadline, then just go with the highest bidder to a place you are confident will be great even if not your true top pick.

And for all this, nothing is final either way until signing day.NIL offer can be changed and player can change their commitment.

They are absolutely playing the NIL game. In this case if Pickett really and truly knew where he was going 2 weeks ago he could have committed two weeks ago. 

Drawing it out helps the agents involved and allows players who may have equal feelings about their finalists play the NIL game. 

Now ... Before I go too deep in this one and sound like a Texas, USC, Beaver or Husky fan....

LSU has a coner's coach who has a fantastic relationship with Pickett and was keeping LSU in it even when it seemed like they were out. 

Then proximity absolutely played a role here as there seemed to be a bit of a reluctance to the distance of Oregon. This isn't a new comment but something I've seen come up several times in his recruitment. It's why Miami seemed to be such a big contender. 

But what might have been the tipping point is the desire to play in the P2 (his dad mentioned playing on the biggest stage and in the biggest games) that means Miami is eliminated as the ACC is not in the P2. 

So if the distance to Oregon feels too far and the desire to play in the P2 is strong and LSU has one of the best relationships and comes in strong late with a nice NIL offer. 

LSU gets the win. 

The Ducks are going to be ok and will continue recruiting.

In Lanning we trust. 

• Thumbs Up 1

WWW.SI.COM

The nation's No. 1 cornerback prospect, DJ Pickett did not commit to the Oregon Ducks football program over the Miami Hurricanes...

• Oh no! 1