NJDuck

2024 CFB Playoff Information, Predictions, Schedules, Etc. - 2

You may not have noticed the menu bar in the header.  There is a new item called “News.”  We invited you to explore this section.

When you click on the word “News,” you will see an index of multiple links to sports news sites for your enjoyment!

From now on, except for a very few circumstances, our threads will be just one page. Advertising only appears on the first page and we want to make as much money as possible for the site.  The bonus in doing this is that it will be easier for everyone to move around the thread.

You will always be able to refer to the previous thread for reference.  To see the previous thread for this topic click Click Here.

This Thread is for News Articles ONLY.  You can always start a new thread with any of these articles for discussion.

(This post was brought in by Jon Joseph):

How about: Much-needed changes to the CFB PO are coming; but not before 2026-27. I am hoping that an SEC power is the first out. Knocked out by G5 Memphis, Notre Dame, and at least one lower-ranked from the Back Seat 2, the ACC and B12. The B1G response to 'this' is likely to be civil. The response from the 'It Just Means More' crowd? Not so much.  

I'd love to see one of the major players recommending this format, Greg Sankey, hoist on his own petard.

SOUTHBOUNDANDDOWN.COM

Mapping out future possibilities of the College Football Playoff which could have changes upcoming.

This article hits the highlights. Legal issues might force the inclusion of the ACC and B12 champ but as seeded and not in the top 4 unless ranked in the top 4. The G5? Share some of the PO money with the G5 but do not knock out a better team for a G5 team. Oregon's beat down of Liberty last season 😍 is used as an example of why there should be no G5. 

A G5 team as the No. 12 seed makes the 5th seed significantly better than the 6th seed as the 5th seed will have a home game vs a 'little leauge' team while the 6th seed will play a successful P4 team. The 5th and 6th seeds are likely to have the same record. The team in the conference receiving the 6th seed will not be happy and will demand the Committee's reasoning in making the selection and not just a 'Trust Us.'

• Thanks 1

Want to kill college football for the larger public? Keep finding ways to chastise some power 4 champs as less worthy, exclude G5 teams, and give the majority of the slots to the BIG and SEC. I personally want playoffs that are broadly inclusive and have no sympathy for  excluded SEC or B1G teams that can't manage to finish at least third in their conference. There may be some good ones occasionally that are excluded, so let them play in a better bowl game.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's my view and I'm sticking with it.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

No sweat, Nevada.

Everyone is welcome to offer their views, even if it is a minority view. As I have learned from many years back, a minority view can become the most prevalent view in a few years.

So let all the views be heard and in the process, we are all better, educated and become better college football fans because of the current minority views.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/22/2024 at 1:24 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Want to kill college football for the larger public? Keep finding ways to chastise some power 4 champs as less worthy, exclude G5 teams, and give the majority of the slots to the BIG and SEC. I personally want playoffs that are broadly inclusive and have no sympathy for  excluded SEC or B1G teams that can't manage to finish at least third in their conference. There may be some good ones occasionally that are excluded, so let them play in a better bowl game.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's my view and I'm sticking with it.

I respect your POV.

However, how long into January can the season extend? I draw the line at 17 games which is what teams that lost a champ game and are seeded 5-12 will play. I do not believe having a 32-team field like the FCS is possible. The FCS plays every game on campus except the champ game. Is FBS willing to do this? I do not see how the PO can be more inclusionary without games like last season's Fiesta Bowl beatdown of an undefeated team. 

Many preseason polls would have Oregon or Texas as the 5th seed hosting 12th seed Liberty in Eugene or Austin. This would be 'half-a-bye' for the P4 team and another embarrassment for Liberty. The CUSA champion should be participating in a G5 playoff and receiving a cut of the revenue from the P4 tournament. 

IMO we will get to 14 or 16 teams by 2026. The Power 2 will not continue with a format that allows lower-ranked teams that played lesser competition to be seeded in the top 4 and knock out B1G and SEC teams with better records. The best teams seeded as ranked should be in the playoff. I do not see how the football playoffs can be as inclusive as the basketball playoffs. 

I somewhat reluctantly hope that Oregon matches up with your Dawgs in this season's playoff. Most likely in Miami or in Dallas in the semifinals. 😁

• Go Ducks! 1

Posted (edited)

Let's Get It On!

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

After years of questioning and second-guessing the playoff selection committee, football fans will see some dramatic changes in the 2024 playoffs. For many years, the “playoff” was a...

Is it 8/31 yet? 

Edited by Jon Joseph

The Buckeyes are coming to town!

WWW.ON3.COM

Oregon Football will take on Ohio State in one of the Ducks' most important home games ever. Who will take this one?

I agree that there is no way that a football tourney can be inclusive as basketball. I also think that 17 games should be about the absolute max. Yet, in the interest of inclusivity. it is OK for a very deserving team to be excluded occasionally. It has happened to my Dawgs twice in the past five years (2018, 2023) when virtually all the heavyweights considered Georgia to be one of the best four teams, but other considerations put them at #5. I didn't like it but knew the rules for inclusion and was OK both years (though not happy).

Again I will say that no team should gripe too much if omitted when they can't finish at least third in their conference. Give the Libertys or App States or Boise States shot if warranted. Funny things can happen (e.g., Tulane over the condoms two years ago). Now wasn't that worth it?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/22/2024 at 8:14 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I respect your POV.

However, how long into January can the season extend? I draw the line at 17 games which is what teams that lost a champ game and are seeded 5-12 will play. I do not believe having a 32-team field like the FCS is possible. The FCS plays every game on campus except the champ game. Is FBS willing to do this? I do not see how the PO can be more inclusionary without games like last season's Fiesta Bowl beatdown of an undefeated team. 

Many preseason polls would have Oregon or Texas as the 5th seed hosting 12th seed Liberty in Eugene or Austin. This would be 'half-a-bye' for the P4 team and another embarrassment for Liberty. The CUSA champion should be participating in a G5 playoff and receiving a cut of the revenue from the P4 tournament. 

IMO we will get to 14 or 16 teams by 2026. The Power 2 will not continue with a format that allows lower-ranked teams that played lesser competition to be seeded in the top 4 and knock out B1G and SEC teams with better records. The best teams seeded as ranked should be in the playoff. I do not see how the football playoffs can be as inclusive as the basketball playoffs. 

I somewhat reluctantly hope that Oregon matches up with your Dawgs in this season's playoff. Most likely in Miami or in Dallas in the semifinals. 😁

The Ducks-Dawgs matchup could easily happen this year though we'd be projecting pretty far into the future for both teams. But it would be fin to watch, wouldn't it? And I'd feel good about the outcome no matter which team prevailed.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2024 at 1:28 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I agree that there is no way that a football tourney can be inclusive as basketball. I also think that 17 games should be about the absolute max. Yet, in the interest of inclusivity. it is OK for a very deserving team to be excluded occasionally. It has happened to my Dawgs twice in the past five years (2018, 2023) when virtually all the heavyweights considered Georgia to be one of the best four teams, but other considerations put them at #5. I didn't like it but knew the rules for inclusion and was OK both years (though not happy).

Again I will say that no team should gripe too much if omitted when they can't finish at least third in their conference. Give the Libertys or App States or Boise States shot if warranted. Funny things can happen (e.g., Tulane over the condoms two years ago). Now wasn't that worth it?

I always said a four team playoff was never a playoff. It was an Invitational, I jokingly called it the "Alabama Invitational" but I think I was right about that one.

It should've been 8. You had 5 Power conferences, only four spots. With 8 slots you would've made all NY6 Bowls mean something. Four Quarters, two semis, and then the CFP Title Game.

Five conference champions. One G5 team if they rate high enough. Two wildcards.

But the geniuses of CFB proved their genius once more.....

Imagine the NFL excluding a division winner in the playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Help Is On The Way!

Vegas, Baby! The 2026-27 Playoff Championship game will be played in Las Vegas! What the PO format will be in 2026-27 has yet to be decided but I think we will see a 14 to 16-team field and lower ranked teams not having seeding preference,

DEATHVALLEYVOICE.COM

The expanded College Football Playoff has brought a ton of excitement to the sport as it seems now more than ever any team can compete for a chance to win the N

SCHEDULING MATTERS MORE THAN EVER. In Even years, Oregon will play 5 B1G games in Autzen

247SPORTS.COM

What Big 10 poll says about Oregon's 2024 schedule

GIMME 5!

WWW.ON3.COM

There are some massive games in college football this season that will have a huge impact on how Oregon fares making the playoffs.

Schedule up out-of-conference like Florida in 2024 or play three cupcakes like Ohio State or three and a half like Ole Miss?

HAILFLORIDAHAIL.COM

Rivalries are part of what makes college football great, and Florida Football has plenty of them. FSU, Georgia, and Tennessee are three of the biggest games on

16 or 17 games? Whew!

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon coach Dan Lanning discusses what could go into playing for a CFP championship in expanded playoff.

Tick Tock the clock is ticking for Mari(o)

SATURDAYROAD.COM

Cristobal didn't come back to his alma mater to play in the Pinstripe Bowl. He returned to win championships. And not in the future. The time is now.

And, he definitely was not hired to take a loss vs Rutgers in the Pinstripe Bowl. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

College Football's 24 B1Ggest Games of 2024 - Courtesy of 247 Sports.

247SPORTS.COM

These matchups are dripping with playoff and conference championship implications.

One-third of the games involve B1G teams including Oregon at Michigan and the Ducks hosting Ohio State. 247 Sports is an SEC-centric site and it shows with this list.

Less than a month away before Florida State plays Georgia Tech in Dublin, Ireland.😍

The ranking from 247 is embedded in a Sooners take beefing about the conference schedule the SEC handed Oklahoma in 2024 that but for a change in venues will be duplicated in 2025. The Sooners have a conference schedule from Hades, especially compared to the other SEC newbie Texas. 

SMH that the short end of the scheduling stick SEC ADs rolled over and agreed to play the same conference slate back-to-back. The B1G has it all over the SEC in future scheduling. Why? The SEC wants more money from ESPN to play a 9th conference game. 

CBS Sports ranks the SEC by strength of schedule. This appears to be a more accurate ranking than CBSS ranking of B1G schedules. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The SEC's newcomers face vastly different outlooks in their first seasons as league members

In the 16-team SEC, Texas at 14, Ole Miss at 15, and Missouri at 16 have a significant PO invite advantage. Especially if the PO Committee values only wins and losses and not the strength of schedule as does the NCAA Basketball Committee. 

More PO teams do not mean an easier task for the CFB PO Committee. 

Herbie roasted over Rutgers as a PO Dark (Scarlet) Knight.

https://athlonsports.com/college/rutgers-scarlet-knights/kirk-herbstreit-getting-roasted-over-college-football-dark-horse-pick

This is from SEC-Centric Athlon. In addition to missing Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State, Rutgers also misses Oregon and Iowa and plays UW, Wisconsin, and UCLA in Jersey. Rutgers plays USC in LA so the Knights play three of the Pac-12 newbies while Oregon and LSU (?) play two. 

Rutgers trip to VA Tech will be a good measuring stick game for both teams. VA Tech has every starter back on O and is superior at the QB position.

Rutgers was last seen chopping down Mari(o.)

ESPN Takes a Look at 2024 Schedules.

This article provides more evidence that CBS Sports' ranking of tOSU's schedule as more difficult than Oregon's schedule is dumber than Dumb and Dumber.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Who is facing the iron and who is on easy street? Plus must-see nonconference matchups, potential trap games and more.

Missouri with the SEC's easiest OOC and conference schedules deserves more criticism than it gets here. The only game I want the Gators to win is the opener against Mari(o.)

Easy peasy for Texas.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The SEC's newcomers face vastly different outlooks in their first seasons as league members

If you do not win the B1G or SEC titles you want to be ranked No. 3 which equates to the No. 5 PO seed. No. 4 and the No. 6 seed, a much tougher row to hoe.

The majority of preseason polls have either Oregon or Texas ranked at No. 3 and No. 4 behind Georgia and Ohio State.

In the below projection by Athlon, 5th seed Oregon would play Liberty in Eugene and 6th seed Texas would play Notre Dame in Austin.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-playoff-12-team-preseason-projections-predictions-2024

A dozen newbies who could crash the 2024 Playoff Party.

COLLEGESPORTSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

These 12 teams could crash the CFP party for the first time in 2024.

Ole Miss, Mizzou, and Penn State have Playoff-friendly schedules. Mizzou has the easiest out-of-conference and easiest-in-conference schedule in the SEC.  

LIberty's schedule is more than manageable. Once again the Flames flame out when it comes to playing a P4 opponent. An 11-2 or even a 10-3 Boise State would deserve the G5 spot over a 13-0 Liberty. Again CFB fans ask: Will strength-of-schedule matter?

Saturday Tradition's Derek Petersen predicts CFB Conference Champ Games and Conference Champions.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Picking conference champions from each of the top 4 leagues entering the 2024 season.

Miami? Texas? Playing for a conference title? I don't see it.

Oregon vs Ohio State with Puddles flying away with the B1G title. This I see with 20-10 vision.😍 

His pick, has Oregon beating Ohio St. three times, playing Georgia for the National Championship game.

• Let’s hope! 1

CBS Sports Network's 'Inside College Football', is IMO, the best CFB wrap-up show and the best program for looking ahead to CFB's next week's biggest (BIGest?) games.

Tonight, our buddy Rick Neuheisel picked Dillon G to win the Heisman and along with Golden Domer Aaron Taylor, picked OREGON to win the 2024-25 Natty.

I recommended the Big Network to my OBD brothers and sisters and I strongly recommend tuning in weekly to Inside College Football.😁

Game by game for every team.  Calling BS on Ducks with 3 Ls.

If you go to collegefootballnews.com you can find all conferences predictions with each team's game by game.

• Applause 1

Correcting an earlier take on the SEC champ and B1G champ 2nd round PO sites, it is 'likely' that the SEC champ will play in the Sugar Bowl and the B1G champ in the Rose Bowl.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The top level of college football is adopting a 12-team postseason format this season for the first time. Here's how the field will be decided and when each game will be played.

The majority of pundits believe that the B1G champ to the Rose and the SEC champ to the Sugar is a done deal with the ACC champ playing in the Peach Bowl and the B12 champ in the Fiesta Bowl unless UCF or West Virginia wins the B12 and Cal or Stanford wins the ACC.

Ducks continue to fly high in the preseason. 😍

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at the Oregon Ducks win percentage going into every game of the 2024 college football season, according to ESPN’s FPI.

No odds for Sparty and the Boilermakers. I'll have a go on both: OREGON is 99.9999999% assured of winning. 😁

Pete Thamel predicts Oregon as No. 2 seed in College Football Playoff

The College Football Playoff is getting set to expand for the 2024 season from four teams to 12 teams. With that expansion, plenty of teams are expecting to make some noise this season and make it to the CFP. That included the Oregon Ducks.

While going through and making predictions for the College Football Playoff on the College GameDay Podcast, Pete Thamel explained that he thinks it’s going to be Oregon, and not Ohio State, who wins the Big Ten and takes the No. 2 seed in the College Football Playoff in the process.

“I picked Oregon to win the Big Ten,” Pete Thamel said. “That is rooted, in part…I feel like where they are strongest is where I have questions about Ohio State. So, I certainly agree. I think Ohio State will have the most players invited to the combine this year. I feel like it’s going to be a Michigan-ish amount, like 18 last year. Six or seven guys on their roster at this time last year we just assumed were going pro. So, it’s a very rare confluence of talent…That said, the Ducks have a quarterback who is proven, proven, and proven, and they have a better offensive line.”

Storylines for 2024 across the college landscape, with many featuring the B1G Conference and B1G teams.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

We also say goodbye to championship coaches and hello to 31 new head coaching jobs. It really is a year of significant change. So here are 25 storylines to watch for the 2024 college football...

The answer to every storyline will impact the 2024 playoff. 

Reading the Palm, Oregon Hosts K State in the Opening Round and Plays Utah in the Fiesta Bowl. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Jerry Palm's preseason college football bowl projections break down how the new 12-team CFP could play out

Palm confirms that the SEC champ will play in the Sugar Bowl and the B1G champ will play in the Rose Bowl.

K State? Will another B12 team besides the champ be invited to participate?

Palm predicts Michigan will miss the playoff. 

Texas and Texas A+M are in?

I Love Oregon Being One of the Teams with a Path to Atlanta.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Before even a single round of the new College Football Playoff is played, there is a sharp eye on what the future holds for the sport.

Author Ross Dellenger has joined the Big Ten Network crew.

Change in Playoff Committee Protocol. The Committee will not use conference championships as a tiebreaker.

WWW.ESPN.COM

The College Football Playoff selection committee will no longer use conference championships as one of its tiebreakers because the new 12-team format guarantees bids for the five highest-ranked...

CBS Sports Conference Rankings. I agree that the B1G is not that far behind the SEC.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Here's how the nine FBS conferences stack up ahead of the 2024 season

Oregon's NonConference ranking middle of the BIG.

WWW.SI.COM

The Big Ten Conference has expanded to 18 teams with the additions of the Oregon Ducks, UCLA Bruins, USC Trojans, and Washington Huskies. That means even toughe

• Thanks 1

These Playoff projections have infested CFB boards. I am posting this one in honor of our OBD Georgia friends. Miami and Virginia Tech? This I question. 

DAWNOFTHEDAWG.COM

The 2024 regular season is just a few weeks away and the Georgia Bulldogs will enter it with a target on their backs. Even after missing the College Football Pl

I have NO problem with the UGA Dawgs being the No. 1 seed. After a first-round bye, Georgia would play its 2nd round game in the Sugar Bowl. IMO, the field will include four B1G and SEC teams. Perhaps five SEC teams if Notre Dame is not in the field, which I hope is the case, starting with an opening loss vs. A+M. 

Miami? With Mari(o) at the wheel? I need to see it to believe it. If the ACC has two teams in the field, I believe the two will be two litigants, FSU and Clemson.

Best of luck to our Dawgs friends in 2024.  

What! The Other School Up North Predicts Oregon Will Win the B1G and be the 2nd Seed!

THEHUSKYHAUL.COM

The 2024 college football season is just about here and there's plenty to be excited about. On Montlake, Washington Husky football fans are getting used to all

DUCK: The Apocalypse is near. 😁

Article says the Duck fatal flaw is a pass rush.  Sorry, not buying that.

CLUTCHPOINTS.COM

The 2024 Oregon football season has promise, with College Football Playoff national championship hopes. Here's what could...

Posted (edited)

Trojans Wire Ranks the B1G Schedules.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Iowa has the easiest schedule of any Big Ten football team. Washington might have the toughest.

I do not agree that Iowa has the easiest conference schedule. IMO, this distinction goes to Rutgers. The Knights miss Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa. USC is the only preseason top-25 ranked team the Rutgers has on the B1G schedule.

If QB Athan Kaliakmanis reunited with OC Kirk Ciarrocca (no need to buy a vowel 😁) can improve his game, Rutgers could win nine or ten games in 2024.

Every season through 2028, Iowa will play Minnesota, Nebraska, and Minnesota, half of the old Western Division. Iowa does play in Columbus the week before Ohio State trips to Autzen but that's it for AP preseason-ranked teams. 

Edited by Steven A
typos

Bruce Feldman updates his CFP picks.  Utah falls out.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Which teams impressed enough during fall practice to project into our updated College Football Playoff field?

• Applause 1

Playoff Contenders? Follow the $.

FANSIDED.COM

The long wait for football is almost over. In just a few days, Week 0 will bring the return of college football when No. 10 Florida State visits Georgia Tech on

Our Beloved Ducks are a solid, but distant 3rd behind the Dawgs and the Buckeyes.

Our 'Friends' in Columbus have the Ducks in the 5 Spot. 

SCARLETANDGAME.COM

The Ohio State football team is expected to be in the mix for a national championship. We predict where they could possibly be at the end of the season.

With Ohio State projected to win the B1G. I'm shocked!

New QB, new conference, no problem

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Bo Nix is gone, but the Ducks went out and got the best QB available in Dillon Gabriel, along with a whole lot of other weapons. Dan Lanning's Ducks are set up to compete with the Big Ten's best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Me Likey Mr. Mendoza's Pick of OBD Winning the B1G!

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Unexpected results are the norm during the college football season. But even with that challenge, here's our season predictions from our experts.