kirklandduck

Dan Lanning Reveals Why He Turned Down Alabama

“I think it’s more about what exists [at Oregon],” he said. “For me, it’s the first time in my career I feel like I’m somewhere I can be for a really, really, long time for and my family and I think that’s number one.”

“I can also never take for granted that Oregon took a chance on me and that means a lot to me," he said. "There’s things I want to accomplish here that I haven’t accomplished yet. I never like leaving a place where I feel like there’s something left on the table and there’s a lot left on the table here at Oregon.”

https://athlonsports.com/college/oregon-ducks/dan-lanning-reveals-why-he-turned-down-alabama-crimson-tide-head-coaching-job

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gotta love that!  Stick around and build a Dynasty Dan!  What a time to be a fan of OBD!

I like that…a “Dan-Dynasty!”

You gotta dream big!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yes Charles, you do. And those who do  often end up living their dreams, at least some of the time.

A couple of sources who know Kirby Smart well say that he always dreamed of their being a day when he was mentioned as belonging in the circle of Nick Saban and the other coaching luminaries of that era. He lost out in the head-to-head competition while Nick was still around, and two of those games, the 2017 natty and 2018 SEC championship, are games that many think UGA should have won. But after two Nattys and a near miss on the playoffs last year, Kirby has earned his spot at the table.

I'll be watching with great interest to see if young coach Lanning can manage to pull up a chair at that prestigious coaches table over the next few years.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

We could be looking at a modern equivalent Mike Belotti era where DL takes Oregon to unprecedented heights while sticking around for a decade or more!

Dan's youngest son is 11, so I think he will be here that long...

Mr. FishDuck

What is considered  a legendary and/or lengthy coaching job these days? Dabo with fifteen years, two titles, and numerous playoff and conference titles.

Kirby at nine years, two titles, countless playoff and conference titles.

Jimbo with twelve years, one title, one playoff and numerous conference titles ( at FSU).

Who can join that list? James Franklin, Ryan Day, Mike Norvell, Dan Lanning, maybe Lincoln Riley. These are relatively young guys at huge universities, most I conferences that will get them yearly playoff bids. But they need how many titles and years to become "legendary"?

Respect and gratitude is already building to a high level at Oregon for Dan Lanning. Most the coaches who are named next to Lanning will be kicked to the curb by their university once they struggle.

The reason Lanning is staying is he knows this is a unique opportunity to become the best coach possible, and the legend part, just part of the story. I would say the legendary chapters are to come, and Lanning will fit into a nice piece of the greats of Oregon.

I love coach Lanning and his energy. His enthusiasm for recruiting and building depth is fun to watch as well.

He needs a couple signature wins to put him in the discussion. Wins against Ohio State and a must win is needed against the huskies.

A lot is being made out of the family aspect in Eugene with Mr Lanning.

He seems to have 3 families in Eugene. His blood family (who say they love it there), his Team ( seem to love him), and of coarse us loyal fans who talk about him every day.

It’s a dream come true, and in my opinion, he is not going to give that up anytime soon.

Go Dan!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2024 at 1:16 AM, kirklandduck said:

We could be looking at a modern equivalent Mike Belotti era where DL takes Oregon to unprecedented heights while sticking around for a decade or more!

I’m hoping Dan Lanning can be Florida States’ Bobby Bowden (without the off-the-field issues) or Duke basketball’s Mike Krzyzewski.  

As someone said: “Why follow the legend, when you can BE the legend?!”

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2024 at 6:53 AM, Duckley Palace said:

But they need how many titles and years to become "legendary"?

If Coach Lanning can bring a national championship to Eugene, he will be legendary at the University of Oregon.

(I could care less about how he is perceived nationally.)

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1