NJDuck

QUAAACK!! Five-Star Safety Trey McNutt Is A Duck!!

Dan Lanning and the Ducks have added another massive recruit to their haul in the 2025 cycle.

5-star Cleveland (Ohio) Shaker Heights safety Trey McNutt has committed to Oregon. On Saturday the 5-foot-11, 183-pound defensive back chose the Ducks from a final group that also included Texas A&M, Florida, USC and Ohio State. McNutt is an Ohio State legacy and his father Richard McNutt won a national title with the Buckeyes in 2022.

The newest Duck is rated a 5-star recruit (96.52) according to the On3 Industry Rankings. The same system ranks him the No. 20 player nationally, the No. 2 safety and the No. 2 recruit in the state of Ohio.

WWW.ON3.COM

Dan Lanning and the Ducks have added one of the premier defensive backs in the 2025 recruiting class.

Check around the 17:00 mark if you want to skip the info leading up to the selection.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Oregon has seized momentum back after a couple flips. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

He is a Rivals 4-Star, who was offered by Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Notre Dame, Texas A&M and USC.

N.RIVALS.COM

Trey McNutt - 2025 4 Star Safety for Shaker Heights (Cleveland, OH) on Rivals.com

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Trey McNutt commitment moves Oregon's class up to sixth nationally

Trey McNutt's commitment moves Oregon back up to sixth nationally in the team rankings

247SPORTS.COM

Trey McNutt's commitment moves Oregon back up to sixth nationally in the team rankings

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2024 at 3:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He is a Rivals 4-Star, who was offered by Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Notre Dame, Texas A&M and USC.

N.RIVALS.COM

Trey McNutt - 2025 4 Star Safety for Shaker Heights (Cleveland, OH) on Rivals.com

Congratulations again Ducks!!!  Another big verbal commitment!  

So he is a 5 star on 247, but a 4 star on the others that rank recruits.  Just curious Charles, what is you opinion on the knowledge and accuracy of the different services that rank these recruits?  

I’ve more often than not usually just referenced 247.  No particular reason, it’s just where I began when I started trying to follow the process a bit more.  

I’m interested to hear what you guys think about the different places that rank these recruits.  Is there one that is a little better with the research and getting to know these recruits.  There are so many recruits that it seems like an almost impossible task.

On 8/3/2024 at 12:06 PM, NJDuck said:

his father Richard McNutt won a national title with the Buckeyes in 2022

2002, otherwise the oldest player in history if 3 years later his kid is a senior in HS?  

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:48 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Just curious Charles, what is you opinion on the knowledge and accuracy of the different services that rank these recruits?

There is no reason for me to promote Rivals, in fact I had such a bad experience on their forum in the past that I discontinued, and never went back. But when it comes to recruiting rankings--I put my bias aside to look at what is the most accurate over the last 25 years.  Below is an explanation...

FISHDUCK.COM

So many people ask why I do not refer to the CBS 247 Recruiting analyses and rankings and use the Rivals.com rankings instead? It is because I often am looking…

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm no expert but over the decades I've learned that if you are 6.1 on Rivals......you are going to be considered 5 star most everywhere else whereas if you are a 5 star elsewhere.....Rivals may have you rated a 5.9 or 6.0. I always go to Rivals first. 

Having stated that.....IMO the best way to determine what you have with a recruit is to look at the offer sheet......for example......if a 5 star is offered by USC and Ohio St but ND, Michigan, Bama, Oregon and Georgia are no go......I'd be wondering. Some kids want to stay regionally or play in a certain conference but most 5 stars are focused on opportunity....if they are not.....who wants them. The ones totally focused on cash.....forget them. If a recruit is on everybody's offer sheet he is usually a 5 star or should be.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2024 at 4:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

There is no reason for me to promote Rivals, in fact I had such a bad experience on their forum in the past that I discontinued, and never went back. But when it comes to recruiting rankings--I put my bias aside to look at what is the most accurate over the last 25 years.  Below is an explanation...

FISHDUCK.COM

So many people ask why I do not refer to the CBS 247 Recruiting analyses and rankings and use...

I’ve just now had time to look over the article you posted regarding Rivals.com.  I find it very interesting and helpful.  Thanks for the guidance, it’s much appreciated.  In the future I’m going to make use of Rivals.com as a go to reference for recruit rankings.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Recruiting is an ebb and flow process. I fully expect that when the time comes the ducks will have a top five class regardless of who does the ranking.

Big get for a position of need. The one thing this defence has been missing is NFL level play from a safety. 

We've been spoiled in the past with some amazing safety that where game changed. Let's hope this is a step in that direction.