NJDuck

2024 Football Poll Rankings

Four SEC and Four BIG teams in the top 10.  ND and FSU are the other two teams in the top 10.

USA Today Coaches Poll Released for Preseason

We continue to inch our way towards the start of the college football season. Which means we have award list and polls for the preseason rolling out daily.

One of the big ones came out Monday morning. The USA Today LBM coaches poll. And as you would expect, Oregon has once again cracked the top three. You can ultimately make a case for any of the top three to be shuffled around, but starting No. 3 for Dan Lanning is not a bad spot to be.

WWW.ON3.COM

The USA Today LBM coaches poll is out for the preseason and the Ducks find themselves in a great spot to start the season.

• Cool 1

Thanks, NJ. 

If you do not win your conference title, No. 3 is The Sweet Spot! Oregon would play the G5 representative instead of Penn State in Eugene and would play Utah in the Fiesta Bowl instead of tripping to Atlanta to play FSU in the Peach Bowl. 

No. 4 ranked and 6-seed Texas would host Penn State with the winner playing in the Peach Bowl.

The Coaches Poll Preseason Playoff.

Sugar Bowl - 1 Georgia vs. 9 Notre Dame at 8 Mississippi 

Fiesta Bowl - 4 Utah vs. 12 G5 at 5 Oregon

...............................................................................................................................................................................................

Rose Bowl - 2 Ohio State vs 10 Michigan at 7 Alabama

Peach Bowl - 3 FSU vs 11 Penn State at 6 Texas

4 SEC and 4 B1G teams; however, Texas, Alabama, and Ole Miss would host 1st-round games along with the Ducks. Texas and Ole Miss have easier preseason schedules than Michigan and Penn State. 

Let's Play Ball!

I have to admit, no arguments from me🤩  Yes I know, we have not played any games yet, but enjoying the fun!

College Football Top 25 Rankings | Brett McMurphy’s Preseason AP Poll Ballot for 2024

Congrats, you made it! If you’re reading this, we’ve both survived another dreadful seven-month stretch without college football.

During that time there were no games played, other than EA Sports College Football 25. Just non-stop babbling about House settlements, NIL, collectives, revenue sharing, roster limits, lawsuits, private equity, super leagues, conference realignment, hot seats, transfer portal, player arrests and potential NCAA violations (too soon, Michigan?).

But no more.

In only three weeks — at noon ET on Aug. 24 — the season begins in that college football hotbed of, checks notes, Dublin, Ireland? Who cares if it’s Ireland or Iowa? It’s college football. The game we love.

And what do we love as much as the games? Arguing who should be ranked in the Associated Press preseason Top 25 poll.

Well, you’ve come to the right place. Here's my AP preseason Top 25 ballot. The preseason Top 25 will be released Monday, Aug. 12, at noon ET. Quick reminder: this is only my opinion on the best 25 teams — not how I think they will finish the season.

In advance, thank you for agreeing with every single one of my rankings.

Brett-McMurphy-Top-25.webp

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/college-football-top-25-rankings-brett-mcmurphy-preseason-ap-poll-ballot-2024?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

• Applause 1

5 Takeaways from the Coaches Poll

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

College football's preseason US LBM Coaches Poll was released on Monday, less than three weeks from the start of the 2024 regular season on Aug. 24.

Coming in number 4 in Joel Klatt's poll

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks are landing among Joel Klatt’s top teams for the upcoming 2024 college football season.

Et tu Klatt? Hook 'Em? How about a B1G Horns Double Down!

The Klatt Playoff: Miami secures the 4th seed with a 12 ranking and has a bye before playing close to home in the Peach Bowl. Miami knocks out higher-ranked Missouri out of the field. This I would like because leaving a higher-ranked SEC team out of the playoff would get SEC Commissioner Sankey's attention. However, Sankey is one of the guys who came up with this format. 😁

In the 1st-round, Texas would play the G5 representative in Austin, and Oregon would play Penn State in Eugene. Texas wins and it would play Miami in the Peach Bowl, the Orange Bowl is a semifinal site. Win the Peach Bowl and Texas would play its next game in the Orange or the Cotton Bowl.

Defeat Penn State and Oregon would play Utah in the Fiesta Bowl which is a favorable 2nd round draw opponent and location-wise. 4 B1G teams in the field with one knocked out in the opening round with Oregon playing Penn State. Ohio State would have a bye and then play the winner of Notre Dame hosting Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Oregon's 3rd round game would be played in Dallas or Miami. How about having to play the Horns in Dallas? UW had to play Texas in Houston last season. Gulp.

Two 'conference games' would be played in the 1st round, as noted above, the Ducks vs. the Nittany Lions and Alabama at Ole Miss. The Committee advises that it will not manipulate the matchups to avoid rematches and 1st round conference games but it's about the money and Bama at Oregon and Penn State at Ole Miss would have more national interest. Playing in weaker conferences, Utah and Miami with a 1st round bye rankles but CFB fans will have to live with this jury-rigging for two seasons and so will the Playoff Committee. 

It's the format more than the Committee but the first and second teams left out with a higher ranking than the ACC, B12 champs, and the G5 representative will not be happy. Again it's the system but immediately after ranking Mizzou 11th, the Committee is going to jump lower ranked Miami above the CoMo Tigers. Will the casual fan tuning into the rankings show for the first time have any clue about what in the heck is going on when people who cover the sport can't get all of the details down? Like SEC champ Georgia playing in the Peach Bowl when the SEC champ is mandated to play in the Sugar Bowl. (This gaff came courtesy of The Sporting News.)

As evidenced above, the No. 3 ranked team will have an easier playoff path than the team ranked No. 4. Will the 3rd and 4th ranking be easily justified, or will two teams have the same record? In this case 'Trust Us' will not fly.

How do you pick the best G5 representative from five conference champions? 13-0 Liberty with a lousy schedule did not deserve to play in the Fiesta Bowl and flame out vs. OBD and the Flames schedule is as weak in 2024 as it was in 2023. The 4-team playoff canard of the Committee simply relying on records, unless your QB was hurt, is not going to fly.

The Basketball Committee using disclosed statistics takes flak for leaving out the 69th and 70th-best teams in the nation. Good luck to the Football Committee.

Here's another wrinkle. The chairman of the Committee is Michigan AD Warde Manuel😒 . The sign-stealing scandal is back front and center and could disqualify the Michigan head coach Sherron Moore and perhaps, DQ the Wolverines from participating in the playoff. (And make UW the 2023-24 champ😵? Ugh!) 

Sit back, try to relax, and enjoy Puddles flight to the Playoff, hopefully landing with a 1st-round bye or the No. 3 ranking. 

Moore could be in more trouble.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Sherrone Moore could face sanctions as a 'repeat violator' from the NCAA.

Along with Playoff Committee Chair Michigan AD Warde Manuel?

It Just Means More, Right Coaches? 

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

The USA Today preseason coaches poll is out.

Nine out of 15 SEC teams, 56.25%, ranked in the top 25. If the SEC played nine conference games would the result be any different? Nine games would mean eight more losses across the conference.

Will the Committee so note?  

• Great post! 1

Who knew? Down in Dixie, they prefer Duck over Longhorns. But don't get too excited, it's the same poll up North in Saturday Tradition territory.

Who is No. 1? SDS ranks the Top 25 teams for 2024.

A lot of questions for the team the Coaches believe is the third best in the nation. Bond had 668 receiving yards at Bama last season. He is going to morph into a Bilitnikoff candidate? 

The Horns D playing in Houston could not stop the UW O. And this was with 2 DL taken in the 1st two rounds of the draft. 

As a HC, what has Sark won?

FANSIDED.COM

The Texas Longhorns are going to have a lot of hype this season but they still need to answer these questions to prove they're SEC-ready.

The word out of camp yesterday is that the Horns No. 1 RB suffered a bad knee injury. The young man was slotted to replace the 1st RB taken in the 2024 draft, J. Brooks.

Ignore the 'concern' that Manning will take over for Ewers. This only happens if Ewers is injured. But I think Texas is getting far more credit than it deserves for winning the B12 (with a loss to Gabe and OK) last season.

The PO semifinal and final showed us that the TX D was spotty and the Wolverines D was legit. 

[In other injury news, Notre Dame has lost one of its starting O tackles for the season. The young man replaced Joe Alt, now with the Chargers, and played very well in the Sun Bowl beat down of the Beavers 😍

The Ducks are really getting some love this year and it looks well deserved.  Has the Duck family ever been more excited preseason?

I'll be keeping my eye out.  Good luck!

Edited by savagefund
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/7/2024 at 11:10 AM, savagefund said:

The Ducks are really getting some love this year and it looks well deserved.  Has the Duck family ever been more excited preseason?

I'll be keeping my eye out.  Good luck!

Good luck to the Utes in the B12. Win the game in Stillwater vs. OK State and the home game against Arizona and cruise into the B12 title game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Natty odds

WWW.ON3.COM

With the College Football Playoff set to expand to 12 teams in 2024, FanDuel has released odds for every team in the country to make it.

Too bad we play a team that is +400 instead of +450 (Boise St better odds than SC)

Or, and if you are looking for ewe dubs, come back another year (not sure which one, hopefully I won't live that long!)

Coaches, do you want a do-over of the Domers ranked No. 7?  I feel sorry for the young man but not for Notre Dame.

Notre Dame left tackle Charles Jagusah suffered a season-ending injury over the weekend, which could put the Irish's CFP hopes in jeopardy.

With the champ game being a team's 16th or 17th game in 2024-25, roster depth is critical.

Jagusah was going to replace the Chargers 1st round draft choice Joe Alt at OT. This injury almost immediately moved Texas A+M -1 to -1.5 depending on the oddsmaker from the Pick 'Em odds in the opener with ND before this injury. 

Losing the A+M game with Notre Dame's weak schedule will be difficult for the Irish to overcome. In all likelihood, if ND finishes 9-3 it will not make the PO field. Will it come down to ND's last regular season game at SC?

And the Texas' RB, Baxter, who was going to replace UT RB Brooks, the first RB taken in the the 2024 draft, suffered a significant knee injury in practice yesterday.

Keep on knockin' on a wooden Duck decoy.

Texas could be without one player expected to contribute in a major way with reports RB CJ Baxter has sustained a serious injury.

Where each BIG team is rated by CBS Sports

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at where the Oregon Ducks and other Big Ten teams rank in the CBS Sports preseason 1-134 college football rankings.

• Thanks 1

AP top 25 predicted.  No. 4 again.

WWW.SI.COM

A week after the Coaches Poll top 25 went live, the next big step in the 2024 preseason is the debut of the AP top 25 college football rankings, giving fans the

Where Puddles starts, eh? But if Oregon does not win the B1G I'm hoping to be ranked third and not fourth. This would have Oregon as the fifth seed with a home game against the 12th G5 seed instead of playing an SEC or B1G opponent. 

• Applause 1

B1G Bad Juju in Ann Arbor. Shoot the messenger?

WWW.MAIZENBREW.COM

If the Michigan Wolverines are going to have a chance to repeat, they must first conquer some fears:

Not 1, not 2, not 3 things to be concerned about but Fifteen, 15!😒Call Annie in from the Arbor. 

Dan Lanning is one of the fifteen and is compared to John Calipari. WHAT! After two seasons the author believes Dan has shown that he can't win the big game. Harbaugh coached at Michigan from 2015 to 2023. He won the B1G and made the CFB Playoff in 2021, 2022, and 2023.

2021, Michigan was steamrolled by Georgia.

2022, Michigan lost to a TCU team that gave up 63 points to Georgia in the champ game.

2023. No. 4 seed Bama took No. 1 seed Michigan into OT before Michigan blew out UW.

Michigan has defeated Ohio State three years in a row but between 2015 and the Natty in 2023 there was a whole lot of choking going down in Ann Arbor. 

Eight seasons for Harbaugh to reach the pinnacle. This is Dan's 3rd season as a head coach. In his first two seasons, Oregon took down UNC and QB Drake May in the Holiday Bowl and extinguished the 13-0 Liberty Flames in the Fiesta Bowl. And did this without one, let alone two NCAA investigations.

Kirby Smart went 1-5 against Nick Saban. Is Kirby a choke artist?

The 2024 Preseason AP Poll -

APNEWS.COM

The official page for the AP Top 25 college football poll, a tradition since 1936. Keep up to date and view the latest ranking updates each week.

Ducks unexpectedly No. 3 ahead of Texas. Two B1G teams in the top 3. Georgia is No. 1 as expected.

An AP Poll Analysis.

9 SEC, 6 B1G, 5 B12, and 1 Independent. All 9 SEC-ranked teams are projected to finish in the Top 20. With its schedule, a new O line, and a young QB, I think Oklahoma is overrated.

At least one of A+M, Tennessee, and Mizzou will not finish as highly as ranked. With Bama, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma playing in Baton Rouge, if LSU opens with a win the Tigers could be way underrated. I think that LSU has a good shot of playing in the SEC champ game. 

4 B1G teams in the Top 10. I think 23. USC and 25 Iowa are underrated. USC opens with a win over LSU and SC should move up at least into the top 15. 

I do not think the B12 will have 5 teams ranked at season's end. I see the B12 going cannibal.

AP voters are not buying the Miami hype. 👍😍

If Notre Dame takes the L in College Station, how far will the Domers drop? 

Two G5 teams at least will be ranked come December. 

AP Poll Preseason Playoff:

Sugar Bowl - 1. Georgia vs. 9. Notre Dame at 8. Ole Miss

Fiesta Bowl - 4. Utah vs. 12. G5 at 3. OREGON

Rose Bowl - 2. Ohio State vs. 10. Penn State at 7. Alabama

Peach Bowl - 3. FSU vs. 11 Michigan at 6. Texas

First two out: 11. Missouri; 13. LSU 😍 Please Make It So!

4 B1G and 4 SEC teams are in, with the SEC hosting three of the four first-round games. 😒

OBD plays the G5 representative in Eugene. Texas plays Michigan in Austin in a regular-season repeat. 😍

No first-round conference vs. conference matchups. 👍

If OBD does not win the B1G, the No. 3 ranking is the playoff sweet spot. 😁

Vandalize the Vandals!

• Applause 1

WWW.ESPN.COM

How good (or bad) could each Top 25 team be -- and what will be each squad's telltale game?

The 'telltale' game for the top 25 teams. 

Oregon vs. Ohio State. But with the chance of a do-over is this game the key? I'm looking at Michigan and Wisconsin in November.

HUZZAH! Puddles ties OBD's highest preseason AP ranking ever.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks tied the highest preseason ranking in the Associated Press Top 25 heading into the 2024 college football season.

The folks at B1G Tradition weigh in.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Associated Press Preseason Top 25: The preseason version of the AP Poll is out, bringing us one step closer to the official start of the 2024 college football season.

Never too early to react. But 'Buy Miami?' Did the Canes hire a new head coach?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Wolverines' No. 9 ranking is the lowest for a reigning champ since 2011

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ducks ? too high or too low

WWW.SI.COM

The AP Poll Top 25 preseason rankings were released on Monday and the Oregon Ducks are amid an elite tier of college football teams vying for the 2024 National

Gotta love it:

Does Oregon need to adjust to the physicality of the Big Ten?

“No. I really think that (Big Ten) teams are going to have to adjust to us, with our speed, and with how physical we are,” Oregon senior linebacker Jeffrey Bassa

• Applause 1

I noticed that Liberty got more votes than Washington.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Athlon's 5 Teams with 'Interesting' Rankings.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/preseason-ap-top-25-overrated-florida-state-notre-dame-iowa

I completely agree that Iowa is ranked too low at 25.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The Preseason AP Top 25 is out! While we wait for the first week of college football action, there are some takeaways to unpack.

"Our" Saturday site chimes in.

I vote for Oregon in the Fiesta... self serving as that may be. 

On 8/12/2024 at 11:42 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Never too early to react. But 'Buy Miami?' Did the Canes hire a new head coach?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Wolverines' No. 9 ranking is the lowest for a reigning champ since 2011

No coaching change. MC just suddenly learned how to coach over the last 8 months. 

Many are saying that it is a Festivus Miracle. Especially his QB. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

An LSU Take On SEC AP Rankings.

DEATHVALLEYVOICE.COM

The Associated Press released its top 25 with several SEC Schools looking overrated and underrated.

LSU underrated? I'm shocked. But, with Bama, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma tripping to Baton Rogue and no Texas, Tennessee, and Georgia on the schedule, I agree with the Tigers 'homer' site.

A Foxy Take on the AP Top 25. 

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Is Alabama deserving of the No. 5 ranking in the AP Top 25 poll? Is Florida State underrated? FOX Sports' RJ Young compares his preseason rankings to the AP Top 25 preseason poll.

AP Top 25 poll reaction: CBS Sports staff picks five early frontrunners that could finish season unranked

Even with lofty expectations, these five teams are vulnerable to a disappointing finish

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Even with lofty expectations, these five teams are vulnerable to a disappointing finish

Extra comment by Jon Joseph on this article:

I agree with the inclusion of Texas and Notre Dame. Looking at the roster, I believe Bama will be fine but perhaps, finish lower than No. 5.  Michigan's D will be salty enough to allow the Wolverines to win 10 games.

If any team deserves a break it's Florida State. FSU needs the good DJU to show up. 

• Thanks 1

We're relevant out of the gate this year. Can't ask for more than that.

Polls Published. Place Your Bets?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

A primer to explain everything you need to know about wagering on college football this upcoming season

Looking good for Iowa and not so much for UCLA. My advice, ignore the author and stay away from Notre Dame or take the Under.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Breaking down the best win total bets to make as the 2024 college football season rapidly approaches

What's the Word on No. 3 Oregon? EXCITING!

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

Thousands of words can be spilled over previews for every team in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Since last season ended, programs have undergone changes on…

ESPN'S Power Rankings.  Top 5 same as AP poll, with Ducks No. 3

WWW.ESPN.COM

Our ESPN college football experts rank who should be in the top 25 going into Week 0.

247 Sports 2024 Team Composite, Recruits and Transfers, Rankings.

247SPORTS.COM

For the seventh consecutive year, the trio of Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State have produced the top three spots in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings. But a new age of parity and a trend...

OBD moves up from 10th in 2023 to 6th in 2024.

Top 50 on the 2024 schedule: 3 Ohio State; 16 Michigan; 27 Wisconsin; 29 UCLA; 35 UW; 37 Purdue; and 41 Michigan State.

SC at 15 may have some splaining to do if they pull their usual all under achieving award.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/22/2024 at 9:47 PM, Steven A said:

SC at 15 may have some splaining to do if they pull their usual all under achieving award.

Steven, with Pete Carroll and SC in the news recently, I think back to not that long ago when Carroll, Reggie Buch, Matt Leinart, etc. were balling out at SC. I think back to an SC defense that had all 11 starters drafted. An SC team that brought in or came close to having the top recruiting class every year. 

In the SC hay days, did any Oregon fan envision OBD having a better roster than 13 of the 16 SEC teams? A better roster than every B1G team except Ohio State? 

Oregon has come a long way baby. Hopefully, the Ducks now have a roster and the coaching to bring a Natty back to Eugene.  😍

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury.

WWW.MERCURYNEWS.COM

Notre Dame jumped into the top five after the impressive win at Texas A&M.

• Yikes! 1