FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 3 Biggest Adds of the Offseason

Our Oregon Ducks football program has been busy. There’s a lot to love about how Dan Lanning has completely overhauled an already great team into an elite title contender. Of the recent additions to the roster, a handful stick out as the most impactful in 2024 & beyond. 3. Jamaree Caldwell & Derrick Harmon: Tandem of Transfers If there was anywhere on this ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program has been busy. There’s a lot to love about how Dan Lanning has completely overhauled an already great...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good theme. I agree with most of your picks (although you cheated a little by picking multiple players):

1. Dillon Gabriel: DG fills the most important position in football and has the potential to be even better than Bo Nix, IMHO.  Dillon proved last year that he can win the BIG one carrying Oklahoma over Texas.  

2. Jabbar Muhammad: We all saw how Oregon’s defense struggled last season when Kyrie Jackson was banged up. While we have depth at CB, I’m not sure we had a lock down corner on our roster who can go up against the other team’s #1 receiver. Jabbar is that guy. 

3. Derrick Harmon: Entering the B1G, Oregon desperately needed that run stopper in the middle. Derrick completes the d-line and will allow those behind him to play better.  

Honorable mention: Atticus Sappington (PK): Hopefully we don’t even notice him this season but we’ve all suffered through some bad place kickers over the years in Eugene. Atticus was one of the best in the nation last year making 13 of his 14 attempts. It’s a bonus that we got him from Oregon State on our way out of the PAC-12…

I didn’t include Evan Stewart because Oregon’s WR room is loaded.  However, I would be surprised if he doesn’t have over 1,000 yards this season and he brings that down the field threat. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

While I at first questioned the impact of seniors on our program longterm, I tend to agree. If Gabriel pushes for, or gets the Heisman, our new DT's make some noise in the NFL draft then this will solidify our program as an A1 choice for elite transfers.

The one two punch of developing recruits like Connerly and Matayo into what they came for while giving elite talent a place to polish their trade may be a modern day longterm recipe for success.

If Jestin, Jordan, along with Ajani, and a couple receivers become to NFL talent, watch out. If our recruits fill in to give depth while building a strong culture then Lanning may have a new blueprint other programs will try to copy.

This approach to putting together a team just might be more impactful than the hurry up offense was under Chip. We all know every offense has a kryptonite, not sure what Lanning is building has an antidote. 

All I know is I want to take a bite of this recipe soon. It looks so enticing, tasty and full of promise!

Unknown-1.jpeg

• Applause 1

On 8/12/2024 at 10:06 AM, Haywarduck said:

While I at first questioned the impact of seniors on our program longterm, I tend to agree. If Gabriel pushes for, or gets the Heisman, our new DT's make some noise in the NFL draft then this will solidify our program as an A1 choice for elite transfers.

The one two punch of developing recruits like Connerly and Matayo into what they came for while giving elite talent a place to polish their trade may be a modern day longterm recipe for success.

If Jestin, Jordan, along with Ajani, and a couple receivers become to NFL talent, watch out. If our recruits fill in to give depth while building a strong culture then Lanning may have a new blueprint other programs will try to copy.

This approach to putting together a team just might be more impactful than the hurry up offense was under Chip. We all know every offense has a kryptonite, not sure what Lanning is building has an antidote. 

All I know is I want to take a bite of this recipe soon. It looks so enticing, tasty and full of promise!

Unknown-1.jpeg

There is no sure antidote for superior talent!  Just ask TCU or FSU.  

• Haha 1

Blending players from the transfer portal into the “family environment “ that is spoken about by recruits has to be managed by the coaching staff. 

Many of the transfer portal players are immediate impact players, and are filling a position that younger less experienced players want as well. Egos get bruised, and that “family environment” gets tested. 

I listened to an interview with Jabbar Muhammad and he spoke about the connection that DL and staff wants the players to develop on and off the field. The idea is that you will play harder for the players you feel a connection with. 

College football has changed, and the Ducks seem to have a grasp on how to navigate the landscape. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, Alex. OBD members pondering the top 3 emphasize the quality of transfer portal talent Danno has reeled in. 

Cam Alexander, Kobe Savage, Brandon Johnson, and Matthew Bradford could all start or see significant playing time.

This Game of Thrones does have a roster management downside but it sure is B1G fun to watch.

Plaster the Potato Pickers!

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree with who has been selected above, but my massive surprise this season is transfer Brandon Johnson from Duke.  Considered the best athlete on his prior team, he has the speed and aggression to play the very-difficult STAR position on defense.

This is one of the three positions that requires a freak athlete, and while prior players in that spot were good, I believe Johnson can really move our defense up as a fifth defensive back on the field who can cover like a corner, but hit like a linebacker on run-support.

Quacking the Roster: DB Transfer Brandon Johnson - Addicted To Quack

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck