Steven A

Interesting Article on What a Team Needs to do to be Considered for an At-large Berth in the CFP:

1)  How many wins;

2)  How many losses you can endure;

3)  How many unsets you need to pull off;

4)  Chance to at least be considered for an at-large berth;

5)  Projected field of 12;

6)  Projected outcome of the playoff.

KFORDRATINGS.COM

Seems a pretty good and accurate preseason picks.

Oregon looks in good stead in all categories. 

Interesting that Oregon State is given an 11-1 record. I suppose the thinking is that as long as that one loss is to Oregon, as it should be, that wouldn't hurt their chances if they beat everyone else in their G5 schedule. 

On 8/23/2024 at 3:24 PM, David Marsh said:

Interesting that Oregon State is given an 11-1 record. I suppose the thinking is that as long as that one loss is to Oregon, as it should be, that wouldn't hurt their chances if they beat everyone else in their G5 schedule. 

Everyone is still undefeated!

With Beavis, that’s just to not be eliminated from consideration, they’d still need a ton of help if they managed 11-1. Them choosing the independent route is a huge mistake IMO. 11-1 and then winning the MWC championship game would have about made them a shoe in. Those stolen funds are nice for two years, I guess, but they should have been doing everything they could to increase their odds of making the playoff right now, having no league affiliation is not that route.

Not that it matters, 8-4 at best.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 8/23/2024 at 5:18 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Everyone is still undefeated!

With Beavis, that’s just to not be eliminated from consideration, they’d still need a ton of help if they managed 11-1. Them choosing the independent route is a huge mistake IMO. 11-1 and then winning the MWC championship game would have about made them a shoe in. Those stolen funds are nice for two years, I guess, but they should have been doing everything they could to increase their odds of making the playoff right now, having no league affiliation is not that route.

Not that it matters, 8-4 at best.

To make matters worse for them it appears UCONN may be headed to the Big 12. 

I haven't seen any talk of Oregon State and Washington State making it into the Big 12. Though I do believe they will have to buy their way in.

• Thumbs Up 2

I personally don’t think they’ll make the cut. They aren’t suddenly more appealing to the B12 with the passage of time. B12 currently at 16, UCONN would be 17 and it makes a lot of sense adding that basketball juggernaut asap. I’m guessing they stand pat after that to see what the ACC does.

Beavis’ reality is going to be what many of us have thought for a year. Joining the MWC…if they’re still wanted.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 8/23/2024 at 8:51 PM, David Marsh said:

To make matters worse for them it appears UCONN may be headed to the Big 12. 

I haven't seen any talk of Oregon State and Washington State making it into the Big 12. Though I do believe they will have to buy their way in.

The Big 12 will never be the B1G or SEC in money, prestige, big name programs, or media rights value. But with UCONN they could conceivably have the best basketball league hands down.

Beavis doesn't have anything that anybody covets. People only bring them and Washington State up because they've been a member of the second oldest and once second most prestigious leagues in the country. But 108 years of being at the bottom doesn't really carry much weight.

For some reason this concept escapes the media when they ask why the Big 12 doesn't want them. They think that they are the ultimate victims of this conference cannibalism. 

• Applause 1

On 8/24/2024 at 6:22 AM, Duckley Palace said:

The Big 12 will never be the B1G or SEC in money, prestige, big name programs, or media rights value. But with UCONN they could conceivably have the best basketball league hands down.

Beavis doesn't have anything that anybody covets. People only bring them and Washington State up because they've been a member of the second oldest and once second most prestigious leagues in the country. But 108 years of being at the bottom doesn't really carry much weight.

For some reason this concept escapes the media when they ask why the Big 12 doesn't want them. They think that they are the ultimate victims of this conference cannibalism. 

Exactly! They’ve both won the sympathy cup in the media, but when the rubber hits the road it’s a big nope.

They should be careful about getting too cutesy with the MWC. It was one thing when they could theoretically offer the P12 banner and the potential of instant P5 status for anyone that joined, without that, what exactly are they bringing to the table that’s any better than what they already have in the MWC? I wouldn’t be paying any large fees to leave the MWC for what the PIG2 will be offering.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 3:24 PM, David Marsh said:

Oregon State is given an 11-1 record

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/24/2024 at 1:42 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Oregon State is given an 11-1 record

I think they were looking in a mirror when that prediction was made.

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2024 at 9:11 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Exactly! They’ve both won the sympathy cup in the media, but when the rubber hits the road it’s a big nope.

They should be careful about getting too cutesy with the MWC. It was one thing when they could theoretically offer the P12 banner and the potential of instant P5 status for anyone that joined, without that, what exactly are they bringing to the table that’s any better than what they already have in the MWC? I wouldn’t be paying any large fees to leave the MWC for what the PIG2 will be offering.

Truthfully all they have is the sympathy card. But the MWC sees the writing on the wall. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. A reformed PAC with Oregon State and Washington State as your alphas isn't a P5 league. Keep the branding, but if I opened up a store with dime store waffles and bought the SEARS branding rights to use for my company, it's still a dime store waffle company.

On 8/24/2024 at 7:10 PM, Duckley Palace said:

Truthfully all they have is the sympathy card. But the MWC sees the writing on the wall. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. A reformed PAC with Oregon State and Washington State as your alphas isn't a P5 league. Keep the branding, but if I opened up a store with dime store waffles and bought the SEARS branding rights to use for my company, it's still a dime store waffle company.

There is also talk floating around in a couple articles I saw that the MW might not even want them. 

If that's the case then they really are doomed. 

This year the MW is happy to take their money and incorporate them into scheduling. 

On 8/24/2024 at 8:11 PM, David Marsh said:

There is also talk floating around in a couple articles I saw that the MW might not even want them. 

If that's the case then they really are doomed. 

This year the MW is happy to take their money and incorporate them into scheduling. 

Man that would be a blow to their egos. Would they go independent? Try to join the WAC? I've heard rumors that the AAC kicked the tires on them, but the two big timed themselves out of any future talks with the then commissioner Arresco. The AAC doesn't have the money to afford big name brands like Oregon State and Washington State.

The two "big time brands" are only considering the Big 12 and a PAC reformation with SDSU, Fresno State, Boise State, Nevada, Rice, USF, Memphis, and a hodge podge of numerous G5 names. But they don't want to use any of the money they got from their settlement with the treacherous ten to help make the move possible.

On 8/23/2024 at 1:10 PM, Steven A said:

1)  How many wins;

2)  How many losses you can endure;

3)  How many unsets you need to pull off;

4)  Chance to at least be considered for an at-large berth;

5)  Projected field of 12;

6)  Projected outcome of the playoff.

KFORDRATINGS.COM

Where in the hay is Strength-of-Schedule? What difference does it make if a team like Liberty does 13-0 against thin air? 

In back-to-back seasons, the Flame(r)s do not play a P4 opponent. A 13-0 Liberty should get in over an 11-2 Boise State or an 11-2 Memphis? How about: NO!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2024 at 1:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

How about: NO!

Agreed.  It will be interesting to see how the committee uses the non-existent eyeball test, plus Liberty may have used their mulligan last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2024 at 1:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Where in the hay is Strength-of-Schedule? What difference does it make if a team like Liberty does 13-0 against thin air? 

In back-to-back seasons, the Flame(r)s do not play a P4 opponent. A 13-0 Liberty should get in over an 11-2 Boise State or an 11-2 Memphis? How about: NO!

This highlights the continued problem that stretches back to the BCS era. 

It doesn't matter if who you play as long as you win out. Some teams, usually blue bloods or teams in the SEC, are given mulligans for one loss (now two). 

• Yikes! 1

On 8/25/2024 at 11:42 PM, David Marsh said:

This highlights the continued problem that stretches back to the BCS era. 

It doesn't matter if who you play as long as you win out. Some teams, usually blue bloods or teams in the SEC, are given mulligans for one loss (now two). 

Good call DM. I am hoping this W/L being the be-all and end-all approach does not carry into a 12-team PO. If it does and this favors the SEC with an 8 conference game schedule, Tony Petitti better raise Cain and then some.