Thomallister1291

Is Oregon State vs. Oregon Football Series Due for A Pause Following 2025 Season?

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Beavers and Ducks play for the 128th time Saturday, but next year's game could be the last for a while because of financial...

Honestly I hope we can continue the rivalry but also be able to schedule good non-conference opponents from the SEC and Big 12, to have more variety.

On 9/15/2024 at 3:21 PM, Thomallister1291 said:
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Beavers and Ducks play for the 128th time Saturday, but next year's game could be the last for a while because of financial...

Honestly I hope we can continue the rivalry but also be able to schedule good non-conference opponents from the SEC and Big 12, to have more variety.

Unless the formula changes.... I'd rather have a consistent victory over the Beavs rather than risk a loss against the SEC.

With an expanded play off we'll get plenty of shots at the SEC. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 4:29 PM, David Marsh said:

Unless the formula changes.... I'd rather have a consistent victory over the Beavs rather than risk a loss against the SEC.

With an expanded play off we'll get plenty of shots at the SEC. 

I personally disagree with the "only schedule cupcakes" thing, since making the playoff will be easier since 12 or 14 is larger than 4 and we are not a mid-level team in the Big Ten, I personally really enjoy uncommon OOC matchups like the series we had with Tennessee, and I hope the Beavs get relegated to G5 so we can schedule them AND a good Power team for the same season.

I don't care how often we play the Beavs. Saturdays game was indicative of the direction both teams are going. It will be a blowout for years to come.

I do think it will stop being yearly. And osu fans will not miss the beat down.

Scheduling is a fine line, give the fans something entertaining, but not likely to give us a defeat.

My thoughts about OOC games:

1. Until there is parity in # of conference games played, we need to schedule winnable games.

In other words, as long as the SEC plays 8 and the B1G 9.

2. Weak OOC games provide affordable games for some people. A $30 Idaho seat is great for the whole family vs $165 for UW.

3. Even with more teams in playoff, all losses could be costly. How many 2 loss teams will there be to rank for 6 or 7 spots?

Until we see the committee actually make SOS an important factor we should go for wins.

4. Finally, it will take a 3 year cycle to play every current B1G team. 6 years to get them all once in Autzen. That should give all OBD fans new teams to enjoy watching until at least a new playoff format or the next major conference realignment, whichever happens first.

So let's continue to play the MWC/ Pac?/ and Big Sky.

• Great post! 4
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Beavs and the Pac-Whatever are G5. Anything else is a short-term accommodation; it's form over substance. 

I'd like the Ducks to open every season in Autzen against Portland State. (No whopping cough, please.) Every season the Ducks will be integrating portal players with Ducks veterans. As we have witnessed in 2024 this is not a seamless process. 

Mullens needs to do all can to play at least 7 home games every season. Especially in the odd years when Oregon will play five B1G road games. Oregon State would be fine so long as all the games are played in Autzen. Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State do not go on the road to play G5 schools. Oregon plays 9 B1G games every season and will incur the travel that comes with being in a coast-to-coast conference.

Extrapolating from today's AP Poll, 9 of the 11 playoff games, including 4 1st round games all hosted by SEC schools, and would be contested in Dixie. The exceptions would be the Fiesta and Rose Bowls. To win a championship in the next 2 seasons means playing 16 or 17 games and defeating 3 or 4 highly-ranked playoff teams with 2 to 3 games on the road. Why do anything to make THIS more difficult; especially, if the ACC and the SEC continue to play 8 conference games and Notre Dame plays 12 regular season games?

The expanded Playoff requires Art of the Deal scheduling regardless of tradition and out-of-conference headlines. Again, using the current AP Poll, 6 SEC teams in the field would bring a far bigger slice of the playoff pie to the SEC than would 3 B1G teams to the B1G.

As currently configured, you get no more money for playing Oklahoma out-of-conference than playing Tulsa. There will be plenty of eyeballs on Oregon without playing rigorous out-of-conference games. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 4:27 PM, DanLduck said:

I do think it will stop being yearly. And osu fans will not miss the beat down.

Probably not. This season, along with their anger towards Oregon, they watched the first two games, and along with Stanford Steve, really thought they could win. They'll continue to hate Oregon but might get over thinking they could win if they play again. 

Yes indeed. This gets deliciously compounded by the belief (of what feels like the majority of Beavis fans) that they were somehow doing us a favor by agreeing to play us. Not sure how that works in their brains.

The reality is they should do everything in their power to play us every year. But alas, us playing ANY G6 a home/home is just not sustainable for a good playoff formula. G6 road games should flat out not be a thing.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Would prefer to see a 2 on, four off, format.   For example, 2024-25, then four off, then on again 2030-31.

Could use those four years for home-and-home games vs Cal, Stanford, Arizona, ASU, Utah which helps maintain recruiting in those areas.  Or, other strategic games such as games vs Texas opponents.

It is highly unlikely OSU would ever agree to anything but home-and-home.

• Like 1

The Admins for both schools and even some politicians seemed to want to keep it going along with a lot of fans.

However, at some point the Beavs are going to want to stop taking an annual beat down L.

I like the idea of a group of 5 cupcake each year.

And that when that when-pigs-fly loss that we will eventually suffer, it will be in a year we probably weren't going to make the playoffs.  I'm just glad I won't live long enough to see it.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

Now that the Beavs are G5, stop the road game.  Those thieves and hypocrites who killed the MWC do not deserve it.  And nothing to gain by UO playing in Corvallis anymore.

• Great post! 2

On 9/15/2024 at 9:29 PM, AllOregon said:

Now that the Beavs are G5, stop the road game.  Those thieves and hypocrites who killed the MWC do not deserve it.  And nothing to gain by UO playing in Corvallis anymore.

Except the way ooc games work is that the home team plays the visiting team to travel. 

So in that regard ... The Beavs are paying us to come 40 mins up the road to punch them in the face collect our win and a (rather small) bag of money and leave. 

Though the payout isn't great it does add insult to injury which is nice at least. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1