Charles Fischer

Friday's CFB Games Thread...

Good-gosh there are a ton of interesting games this weekend, so let's start it off now for the Friday games.

I am curious; have any of you watched Nebraska or Illinois play yet?  Thoughts about them?

BTW, I was very impressed with Indiana when I watched the game in 60, as they seem to have a complete team.  Are you watching the Cougs play? 

To me, the USC-Michigan game is another good-or-good result; if USC wins, then it could help us meet them later in the B1G Championship if everything went the right way, and I'd love to see talking-heads spin.  Other the other hand if USC loses...

giphy.gif

• Applause 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I haven't seen Nebraska yet, but they should be getting all the attention Miami is. Their schedule hasn't been all that, but beating Colorado is a more impressive win than the U has. USC at Michigan is a Good/Good, but to me it would be Gooder if Michigan won.

Washington will probably beat Northwestern and how about this match-up, Purdue lost 66-7 last week and they travel to Corvallis to Play the Beavs, who lost 49-14. What trophy does the winner of this one get?

Oh, and yeah, Cal and Stanford have road games, about 3,000 miles away. Cal @ FSU and Stanford @ Syracuse.

Edited by 30Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

A Pot Metal Boiler Plate Beaver Tail Trophy.

• Haha 1

Charles, thanks for kicking the weekend off.

I have watched both the Cornhuskers and the Illini play. Nebraska  Legacy Raiola looks good at QB and Dowdell (SIGH) is looking good at RB. 

The Illinois D has forced 8 turnovers, tied with Oklahoma and Cal, and one behind leader Maryland. That the two are undefeated and ranked in the AP Poll is a pleasant B1G surprise. The winner of the game is awarded The Freedom Trophy, Illinois is 13-4 in the Freedom Trophy game. Tonight at 5 PM Pacific on FOX.

Both Cal and Stanford are on the road, actually in the air as 3-0 Cal plays 0-3 FSU in Tallahassee (NO ONE predicted THIS!) and 1-1 Stanford plays at 2-0 Syracuse tonight, 4 PM Pacific on ESPN. 

B1G Out-Of-Conference games this Saturday see 3-0 Indiana (!) playing AAC Charlotte, and Michigan State at BC and Rutgers at VA Tech. As for Penn State playing Kent State and Ohio State swallowing a Marshmellow, 'Move Right Along, Nothing to See Here."

THE B1G game sees USC at Michigan for the Trojans first visit to The Big House since 1958. USC leads the series 6-4 with the majority of the games played in the Rose Bowl. I maintain as I said in the preseason, that SC has too much speed for a denuded champ team, and Troy with no Oregon and Ohio State on the schedule has a legitimate shot at a B1G championship and a PO invite. 

While Puddles naps, UCLA travels to Baton Rogue to play No. 16 LSU, at 12:30 Pacific on ABC. At the conclusion of this game, I expect the Bayou Bengals will be 1-1 versus LA.😁

Playoff impact games: SEC - No. 6 Tennessee at No. 15 Oklahoma - 4:30 Pacific on ABC and B12 No. 12 Utah at No. 14 Oklahoma State, 1 PM Pacific on FOX. Next Saturday, No. 13 K State visits OK State. B12 schedulers do not like Mullets!

Some great games before one of College Football's Marquee Games when No. 2 Georgia visits No. 4 Alabama next Saturday and Puddles flies to LA to play OBD's 1st B1G game and the 1st in an in an 8-Ball of B1G games, vs old-foe UCLA. 

OBD will get the win over Rip Van Winkle State but will the Fighting Rips get to keep its Cover?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2024 at 1:16 PM, Jon Joseph said:

UCLA travels to Baton Rogue to play No. 16 LSU, at 12:30 Pacific on ABC. At the conclusion of this game, I expect the Bayou Bengals will be 1-1 versus LA.

I concur on this one, we can all watch and if nothing else can use it to gauge our Predict a Score for next Saturday. Tennessee started out hot last season before their QB went down, looks like their back at it, not the best for the Ducks, but I expect Tenn to cover the -3.5. 

• Applause 1

Nebraska's OL & Dowdell, who has Zoom, are looking really good. Touchdown, Nebraska for a 10-7 1st quarter lead. 

Five-star QB Dylan Raiola pulled up to Nebraska camp looking like Patrick  Mahomes: : r/KansasCityChiefs

Edited by 30Duck

Illinois CB rips ball away from Nebraska WR for an INT in the end zone. Called a TD on the field but reversed on review.

Illinois is going to be a problem later in the season.

On 9/20/2024 at 6:29 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Illinois is going to be a problem later in the season.

Fortunately, it's at Autzen

Raiola with a beautiful TD pass gets the lead back for Nebraska, 17-10.

Nebraska has more speed, on both sides, than does Illinois. 

Good game, 17-17, 1:56 left in 3rd quarter. 

If San Jose State beats Washington State can we safely say that the Huskies are worse than a G5 team? 

On 9/20/2024 at 7:40 PM, David Marsh said:

If San Jose State beats Washington State can we safely say that the Huskies are worse than a G5 team? 

I say, YES!

Raiola connects on a 44 yard pass, then a 26 yard, down to the one, a run is stopped for no gain. End of 3rd quarter, TD, Nebraska, 24-17.

Late in the 1st quarter, SJS 10 WSU 7

TD, Illinois, 24-24. 

Raiola overthrows in the end zone, field goal is missed. Illinois ball, 2:14 left.

Illinois 24 Nebraska 24, Overtime.

Touchdown, Illinois. 31-24.

Wow, big sack for Illinois. Illinois wins in OT, 31-24. 

Illinois now has two wins over then ranked opponents:  Kansas and Nebraska.

You can probably count on one hand (one finger?) the programs that have that stat after 4 games.

Watching a bit of SJSU at WSU.  The image quality on The CW is horrible.

It is a bit strange as the field level camera view seems ok, but when the view goes to regular sky view it is like watching one of those history of college football films from the 1960's.

On 9/20/2024 at 8:52 PM, HDuck said:

Watching a bit of SJSU at WSU.  The image quality on The CW is horrible.

It is a bit strange as the field level camera view seems ok, but when the view goes to regular sky view it is like watching one of those history of college football films from the 1960's.

Also the score board graphics are ultra basic. Kinda like they're made in 90's Microsoft products. 

The Huskers “couged” it. 

This broadcast of the WSU game is pretty awful. 

Right now talking about how great this new Pac-12 is going to be just feels so false. 

Also saying that WSU should be top 25 because of their two wins... I mean they exposed the Huskies but no one was saying the Huskies were too 25 either. 

Great game between Illinois and Nebraska.

Looked like two quality teams trading punches.

Raiola looks like the real deal, but his limited experience may have bit him at the end of this game.

On 9/20/2024 at 9:47 PM, cartm25 said:

Raiola looks like the real deal, but his limited experience may have bit him at the end of this game.

Agreed. the big sack in OT sealed their fate. 

Cuse fans are celebrating the Smarties joining the ACC, Right?

DAILYORANGE.COM

Kyle McCord led SU to take a one-point lead late in the fourth quarter against Stanford. Yet Cardinal kicker Emmett Kenney buried a 39-yard field goal with time expiring to stun the Orange...

Left Coast S = Cuse Cubed and the Orange Subdued.

• Haha 1

Unbelievable game in Pullman.

San Jose leads 38-24 end of third.   WSU ends up winning it 54-52 in two overtimes.

A case of "here you take it",  "no, you take it."

WSU led 43-38 with 4th Q comeback, then San Jose scored a TD with 26 secs. left and 2 pts for the 46-43 lead.   Allowed WSU to go down the field and get in field goal range, bingo 46-46 with 3 secs. left.

First OT, San Jose throws a pick.  Easy FG in OT for WSU, right?  Nope, WSU gets greedy and throws a pick.  Goes to second OT.

2nd OT, WSU scores first for 54-46 lead.  Then San Jose gets a TD, but misses their mandatory 2-pt conversion.

Cougs escape, but San Jose probably should have controlled the game when leading 38-37 (WSU had missed an x-pt)

Yeah. Cougs pulled it out, we can't make a lot of fun over the Huskies over it, but go, Northwestern!!!

On 9/21/2024 at 5:58 AM, 30Duck said:

Yeah. Cougs pulled it out, we can't make a lot of fun over the Huskies over it, but go, Northwestern!!!

The narrative of the game was agonizingly bad. They kept buying up WAZU like the best pac-12 team as if the pac-12 was still intact. 

Then the half time and early third quarter hype up if how great the new PAC will be ... I mean I guess they need to hype it up as that's kinda their job. But it felt like a joke and sad. 

They lost more than they'll ever get back in the rebuild. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Marshall 7

Ohio State 0

The Ohio State University team woke up after not showing up vs Marshmellow and WOW! 

OBD best bring its A+ game to Autzen on 10/12.

Clemson had one bad half in Atlanta but will be a test for any team, be it the U or Cal (!) in the ACC champ game. 

Michigan offense is one dimensional, but their defense is solid against USC.

It might be time for Mack Brown to retire.

Since the title of this thread is for Friday games....let's move discussion of today's games in the thread created for it.  My thanks!

Mr. FishDuck