30Duck

Georgia at Alabama, the First Game of the Year This Season

I think this will be a great game, be very surprised if it doesn't live up to the hype. Georgia hasn't got off to a great start, rightfully dropped after nearly losing to Kentucky. Alabama hasn't been tested, both teams were off last week.  On one hand I want Georgia to win, go into Tuscaloosa and knock Alabama out. 

I mainly want Georgia to win, because I don't want DeBoer to have that great victory. But should I want the former Husky coach to have success at his new school, because it will cause heartache in Seattle?

Kirby Smart: “Change is Inevitable, but Growth is Optional” – Bulldawg Illustrated  

Kalen DeBoer loved the way Alabama players came out of spring 4th Quarter Program: "You could ...

It will be very interesting to compare viewer numbers for UGA at Bama with SC at Michigan, 3:30 kickoff compared to UGA at Bama kicking off at 7:30. 

Georgia is 1-5 in its last 6 games vs Bama. Saint Nick had Smarty's number; the game will be played on Nick Saban Field. Georgia is a -2.5 road favorite. 

Texas at Michigan drew 9.35 million viewers with a noon kickoff. Gameday and Big Noon were both in Ann Arbor. Gameday will be in Tuscaloosa on Saturday. 

Last season, Ohio State at Michigan was the most-watched regular season game. 

Go You Athens Dawgs!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think this one will have a bigger audience than USC @ Michigan had,

Georgia didn't fall in the "trap" against Kentucky, that was fortunate. Jon detailed that it hasn't gone well for Georgia against Alabama. But Georgia -2,5 on the road for now. I'm tempted to take that. 

Edited by 30Duck

I don't really have a good feel for how this one will go. If the majority of Georgia's beat-up defensive linemen can play and contribute, even at 80%, then I think that the Dawgs stifle the Alabama offense and win the game. I'll be watching the "availability" reports closely this week.

On the other hand, Georgia's offensive line has yet to gel as we had hoped it would and the loss of All-American guard Tate Ratledge certainly hasn't helped matters any.  I could cite some other data, including some from a good friend Tide fan who is self-handicapping his guys' chances. So there are some reasons this game should be considered essentially a toss-up at this point.

That 1-5 record sticks in my craw a bit because it does not reflect how close those games have actually been. But the losses did happen. It sure will be nice to finally get Bama into Sanford Stadium where they haven't appeared since 2008. Next year that happens.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/22/2024 at 10:27 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I don't really have a good feel for how this one will go.

Well, you are going to have a ton of Dawg fans here at FishDuck!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/22/2024 at 9:50 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Georgia is 1-5 in its last 6 games vs Bama. Saint Nick had Smarty's number

Not many teams had success against Saban. Luckily for Georgia and every other team, Saban is now on the set of ESPN College Gameday every Saturday.

It's too bad we never got that Chip Kelly vs. Nick Saban matchup, when Kelly was running the uptempo spread offense at Oregon (and Nick was complaining that it wasn't fair). Bama would probably have won but it would sure have been entertaining.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/22/2024 at 10:27 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

That 1-5 record sticks in my craw a bit because it does not reflect how close those games have actually been. But the losses did happen.

Duck fans can relate. Last season, two L's to the Mutts, both by 3 points, plenty of self inflicted wounds. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/22/2024 at 11:30 PM, 30Duck said:

I think this one will have a bigger audience than USC @ Michigan had,

Georgia didn't fall in the "trap" against Kentucky, that was fortunate. Jon detailed that it hasn't gone well for Georgia against Alabama. But Georgia -2,5 on the road for now. I'm tempted to take that. 

30, Kentucky has rarely defeated Georgia but has been a pain in UGA's butt. The week before Georgia traveled to KY, South Carolina had whipped Kentucky. These young men have a lot going on in their lives besides football and will not bring their A-game every weekend. 

Not sure about the viewer numbers but my betting buddies and I are down on UGA winning by at least a FG. 

With a 7:30 KO I'll be one of the viewers. 11 PM for OBD I hope I can manage the 1st Q.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I think this is a fascinating coaching match-up. You have Smart who didn't get into the playoff, against DeBoer who was outmatched against Michigan and Harbaugh.

Deboer against Smart will say a lot about which coach, program will lead the way in the coming years. Who is going to fill the Saban void as the dominate coach going forward.

I can only imagine the doubt many will have about Deboer if he loses to Smart in Tuscaloosa. The pressure to win and keep winning at Alabama has to be intense.

This whole season seems to be set up to better figure out who is going to be the top coach in this new era of NIL, transfers, longer playoff season. What program is going to fill the void Saban left, or will it just be Alabama continuing to dominate?

So much to be gleaned from this game this weekend. Our Ducks will just continue on their quiet path, and hopefully continue to build into what is needed to compete agains the best, and the rest.

• Applause 3

On 9/23/2024 at 8:51 AM, Haywarduck said:

I can only imagine the doubt many will have about Deboer if he loses to Smart in Tuscaloosa. The pressure to win and keep winning at Alabama has to be intense.

I want Georgia to win, I think Georgia will win. The pressure on DeBoer is intense. (You never want to be the Coach after the legend).DeBoer ran from Washington to take the job. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/23/2024 at 10:30 AM, 30Duck said:

I want Georgia to win, I think Georgia will win. The pressure on DeBoer is intense. (You never want to be the Coach after the legend).DeBoer ran from Washington to take the job. 

I think Georgia will win too.  DeBoer is only a few games into his 1st year at Alabama so his systems and schemes are still in the middle of being implemented while Smart's has been fully established for years.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1