Charles Fischer

Crap. Bedford Hurt AGAIN in Practice...

This was posted in another thread, but I wanted to point it out.  Florence is also still out...

EUGENE, Ore. — Oregon coach Dan Lanning told reporters on Monday evening that offensive lineman Matthew Bedford had suffered an injury setback during bye week practice. 

"He actually got dinged the other day in practice, so just trying to be aware of where he's at," Lanning told reporters. "If he's able to help us this week, he will, but always we'll put our players first and see where they're at in that process."

The team's projected starting right guard has yet to play meaningful snaps this season. Bedford suffered a right knee injury the second week of fall camp and has been in the process of working his way back ever since. 

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Keep him off the field as long as possible to get him fully healthy. Its a long season and no reason to rush him back since last weeks OL proved they are more than capable of getting the job done. 

Having him fully healthy late in the season is much more important than trying to rush him back for tOSU game. 

This is no longer the concern for me that it once was. They look like they have figured out a line that works even without Bedford. I only recall seeing him in for one offensive possession during the Civil War and that was after the game was already in hand. I think as long as they can continue to refine this line-up they can let Bedford get himself as near 100 as possible before tOSU.

• Let’s hope! 1

It is a setback, but with the O-line settling in with Pancho at center, Strother at LG and Harper opposite,  there is continuity. Strother had the highest line PFF for the Beav game and I think will be fine for UCLA, MSU and maybe even tOSU. Nothing beats repetition.

The main concern is depth if someone goes down, but give Bedford all the time he needs and hope to keep everyone upright until he and Iuli return.

Need healthy bodies.  Less experienced players will need to fill gaps. Not sure what the injury entails, but even a meniscus tear can weaken ligaments in the knee, which makes it susceptible to further injury. 

I think we have a starting five on the OL that will work out just fine. If we get Bedford back he will return as a depth player this season and not a starter. Part of me wants to say if he's not ready to play next week then it might be worth getting a medical redshirt for him and bring him back next year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This is a big loss, Strother did well during the last game, and I think he's capable, but it's quite clear that the coaches expected Bedford to be the starter.  Without him or Iuli, we're one injury away from disaster as Pickard is just simply not even an average football player which was evident in the first two games, if we have to play Pickard against tOSU we'll be absolutely destroyed I think, too slow, too weak.  Hope I'm wrong, hope the nerves are gone, hope the line can compensate, but it doesn't look good. 

Simply no depth in the line right now without those two (Bedford and Iuli).

My biggest concern is that both Bedford and Iuli are out, leaving depth at RG very thin.  If this continues it may become a big problem during that 8 game stretch with no bye week.

• Thumbs Up 1

One way I can see it working is for now keep the current interior lineup of Strothers, Pancho, and Harper at LG, C, RG respectively.  When Bedford finally gets healthy he goes in at RG, Pancho stays at C with Pickard getting a few snaps to give him a break, Strothers stays as LG starter, and Harper alternates between LG and RG when the starters need to rest (until Iuli comes back, then Strothers/Harper both rotate at LG and Bedford/Iuli at RG).

• Thumbs Up 1