30Duck

How Far Does Miami Drop?

Oregon beat Boise State, a team likely headed to the Playoff, Oregon dropped 2 spaces for that, after dropping four, for mashing Idaho. Virginia Tech, 2-2, is the best team Miami has played all season. Mario?

"We did talk about it, that you don't leave a game like this in the hands of the officials because you might be disappointed."

Mario Cristobal came home to Miami to revive Hurricanes football glory | Miami Herald

It will be interesting to see if the voters treat that "victory" last night as a loss, since no rational person will agree that the ruling on the field should have been overturned by some autonomous replay official.

After watching Miami, I'm not as concerned about them as I was before.  They are definitely beatable, even in Miami.  

If everyone in the top 10 wins (except UGA or Bama) then they might drop 2 spots. I can guarantee you one thing. The loser of Bama/UGA will not be ranked behind them and will most likely not drop out of the top 6.

I hope they drop, but I'm still weary of the media infatuation with them, they might survive, saying that it was a hard fought win, and they can afford one.  Stupid, but I never underestimate the power of east coast bias, and the desire to have Miami be a story.

Simple answer, 'not far enough,' and the more refined answer, 'not as far as they will after a real Mariø moment.'

• Applause 1

On 9/28/2024 at 7:30 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

If everyone in the top 10 wins (except UGA or Bama) then they might drop 2 spots. I can guarantee you one thing. The loser of Bama/UGA will not be ranked behind them and will most likely not drop out of the top 6.

Unless the loser is out right demolished. Then they might drop into the top 15ish... But we're talking a loss of 3+ touchdowns for that to happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched parts of the game. It's a textbook Cristobal team at this point in terms of personnel. Cristobal has reached his ceiling at Miami, we'll just have to see how far that can take him.

Cam Ward is excellent, and I'm glad Cristobal is not ruining him just yet.

I see lots of high 4 and 5 star athletic talent that doesn't have a strong feel for the game. Nothing new there.

Miami plays at Cal next weekend in a late night game.  I would not be shocked if they lose that game. 

On 9/28/2024 at 7:54 AM, spartan2785 said:

I hope they drop, but I'm still weary of the media infatuation with them, they might survive, saying that it was a hard fought win, and they can afford one.  Stupid,

Exactly my thoughts. The Pollsters looked at Oregon's "struggles" against Idaho & BSU. Did Oregon ever trail in those games? Miami was behind, by double digits for most of this one. But yet, the narrative is, "Miami found a way to win!" They sure did, a replay booth, where "clear and undisputable evidence" was found to overturn the call on the field.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2024 at 6:59 AM, OregonDucks said:

After watching Miami, I'm not as concerned about them as I was before.  They are definitely beatable, even in Miami.

Put Miami in the B1G, they're 5th at best. They could contend in the Scrap ll. 

If Oregon, Penn, and Utah all win and perform really well, Miami might drop 1 or 2 spots. 

But it also wouldn't surprise me is they didn't drop at all. I think the powers that be really want a highly ranked ACC team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2024 at 9:42 AM, Desert Duck said:

Miami might drop 1 or 2 spots. 

Sadly, as the search for veracity in the polls continues, depending on what happens in other games, Miami could move up. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Last night, just as Oregon's close ones, the game was at home.   Therefore, logic would dictate a drop....   but, 5-0 is 5-0.

Is the AP poll really “the powers that be”? I’d drop them a couple spots if everything else is chalk. Really depends on how impressive other unbeatens rated behind them look.

IMO you’re going to rightfully be penalized more for struggling with non-conference opponents you’re supposed to beat by 40, than you will against a decent conference opponent. The average AP voter is so out of touch it took them an additional week to realize they should drop OBD a good bit for that ridiculous performance against Idaho.

None of these mechanics really matter in September. Go at least 10-2 and we most likely make the playoff no matter who the losses are against.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 9/28/2024 at 11:53 AM, HDuck said:

Last night, just as Oregon's close ones, the game was at home.   Therefore, logic would dictate a drop....   but, 5-0 is 5-0.

And that is what the ACC was concerned about. But I would argue, 5-0 is 5-0, but not Miami's 5-0. they haven't played a team yet with a winning record.

• Thumbs Up 1

No,6 Ole Miss just lost, Miami is No.7...hmmm

On 9/28/2024 at 8:34 AM, OregonDucks said:

Miami plays at Cal next weekend in a late night game.  I would not be shocked if they lose that game. 

Cam Ward is a gun slinger, the real deal. That team goes as he goes. Should be a good one at Cal hopefully.

The Gophers had a questionable call go against them late in the game after they stormed back to make it a three-point game. An onside kick was recovered by Minnesota but the referees threw a flag calling offsides. FOX's Mike Pereira said on the national broadcast that he didn't believe it was the right call.

Bama 30-7 vs Georgia in the first half???

Didn't see that coming!