30Duck

It's Time for Another Duck to Win the Heisman

From Ross Dellenger

And there among them, in the madness, a hero trekked across the field: transfer quarterback Dillon Gabriel, minutes removed from a 373-yard, three-touchdown performance, a nationally televised prime-time outing that just may usher him into the Heisman Trophy conversation and has put the Ducks squarely in the title hunt.

As great as Ashton Jeanty has been, aside from Oregon, Boise State hasn't played anybody, which does make their schedule stronger than the other leading candidate, Cam Ward. Travis Hunter is doing something no other player has done, but it shouldn't get him the Heisman, Gabriel's game against Ohio State was full of Heisman moments, and it's only October. 

• Applause 1

I wonder if Coach Stein will keep the playbook open, now that the Ohio State game is behind us.  One of DG's biggest strengths is pushing the ball downfield. Allow him to throw the ball all over the field to E Stew, Tez, T Ferg, et al!

Hard to argue with Jeanty being at the top of that list right now.  Dude is just better than everyone else.  I love that Dillon is in the discussion and has a chance to move up and make a run.  

DG will have to up his game to get to the top of the leader board.  No more picks, 75+% completion rate, 3+ TD from here on out would probably do it!

On 10/13/2024 at 7:01 PM, PittDuck said:

DG will have to up his game to get to the top of the leader board.  No more picks, 75+% completion rate, 3+ TD from here on out would probably do it!

Luckily, for Oregon, I believe that DG would rather win a national championship than the Heisman. 

Edited by OregonDucks

On 10/13/2024 at 5:47 PM, OregonDucks said:

Luckily, for Oregon, I believe that DG would rather win a national championship than the Heisman. 

Worked for Mariota.

Play like he did on Saturday and Gabe will be visiting NYC. Many SEC QBs lost the Heisman glow once conference play started. Gabe and his receivers exposed 'the best pass D in the nation."

Texas destroyed Oklahoma but Ewers did not have a good game. Beck and Ewers will have a chance to shine on Saturday. Come On You Athens Dawgs!

I don't believe a G5 guy has the exposure and the quality of competition to win the award. Desmond Howard made this point on Saturday. Boise is idle this Saturday. Boise's next game, an important road game at UNLV, will be broadcast on the CBS Sports Network channel, not CBS.

Blow Up The Boilers!  

Jeanty is good and probably the best runningback in college football right now. But he's stuck at Boise State playing Mountain West competition. 

He won't be tested (again) until the playoff but by then the Heisman voting all done and it's over. 

I think he gets an invite but I'd be shocked if he won it. 

Travis Hunter is doing some incredible things but I think he may be sideline with an injury for a game two. Just like last year. He's doing everything for Colorado right now and that's what is literally hurting him. 

If he wants the Heisman he needs to be a full time receiver who dabbles at DB in some special sets. Not a full time two way player. That's too many snaps. 

Gabriel stands a good chance if Oregon wins out. But I think the SEC voting block might be against him and he'll lose.

But I can live in hope. It's worked so far this season.