Charles Fischer

Jeremiah Smith Interferes at Oregon? Never!

Has done it in three games now, and while this play was incomplete in the end zone...later in the game he finally got called for it at a most inopportune time for Ohio State.  Buckeye fans says this is clearly NOT offensive interference.

Jerimiah Smith Interference_Eric Becker.jpg

Right!             (Thank you FishDuck Photographer Eric Becker!)

Mr. FishDuck

Want some fun?

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Coach Day also claimed that defensive PI should have been called on Oregon CBs the last few passes of the game, including on the Oregon DB on that play, during his post-game press conference. Unbelievable. I guess the players take their cues from the HC.

"Well, we did a great job again down the field and continued to fight. But on the one play, their DB's grabbing on Jeremiah, Jeremiah's fighting there and they called the flag there and that cost us...And then the next play on the wheel to Emeka (Egbuka), there was contact there. But again, we're not going to go back and look at those things. It doesn't matter at this point."

-- Coach Ryan Day, Post Oregon Game Press Conference 

Edited by OregonDucks

On 10/14/2024 at 4:42 AM, OregonDucks said:

But again, we're not going to go back and look at those things. It doesn't matter at this point."

Except that you're looking back at them right there. No wonder the fans are insufferable. The Ref's didn't go back and look at the strip fumble. But it turned out it didn't matter.

I remember how insufferable the Wisconsin fans were after the 2020 Rose Bowl because of how their final drive ended. There were bad calls on both sides in that game. Folks were posting pictures of KT getting held and even tackled on his way to the QB during scoring drives. There is a lot of recency bias when questionable calls come at the end of games.

On 10/14/2024 at 4:42 AM, OregonDucks said:

Coach Day also claimed that defensive PI should have been called on Oregon CBs the last few passes of the game, including on the Oregon DB on that play, during his post-game press conference. Unbelievable. I guess the players take their cues from the HC.

"Well, we did a great job again down the field and continued to fight. But on the one play, their DB's grabbing on Jeremiah, Jeremiah's fighting there and they called the flag there and that cost us...And then the next play on the wheel to Emeka (Egbuka), there was contact there. But again, we're not going to go back and look at those things. It doesn't matter at this point."

OREGON's dB barely touched the receiver, before the two handed push off... dream on, coach!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2024 at 5:42 AM, OregonDucks said:

This is classic:

1) "I'm not going to mention 'certain thing'."

2) Describe in excruciating detail the 'certain thing' you weren't going to mention.

3) Finish by saying, "But like I said, we're not going to talk about that 'certain thing'; it's behind us."

Edited by cartm25
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have watched that play several times in 4K slo-mo and there is no doubt that Smith came into Nikko, who brought his arms up to keep some space. Smith definitely pushes off as Reed stumbles backward 3 yards before he recovers to get the tackle after the catch.

It was the right call from the officials who had been swallowing the whistles all game unless it was obvious holding or PI. They don't throw that flag on such a critical play unless the call is obvious.

I don't think that Reed tries to 'sell' the OPI with his stumble. If Reed doesn't get that call, the game is essentially over with a Bucknut FG from that distance, so there is no way he risks it. Watch it again and see how Nikko's head, right shoulder and arm go flying on contact. Can't fake that. And it fits with Smith's MO of stiff arm holding off DBs while posterizing them with a one handed grab.

Ryan Day and tOSU fan can complain all they want but it was pretty clear both in the moment and in retrospect that the right call was made.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/14/2024 at 12:53 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

And it fits with Smith's MO of stiff arm holding off DBs while posterizing them with a one handed grab.

However, we characterize the overall officiating, that call was HUGE. End of the game, Smith's star move. It was like calling an offensive foul on Michael Jordan in the final seconds.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2024 at 1:03 PM, 30Duck said:

However, we characterize the overall officiating, that call was HUGE. End of the game, Smith's star move. It was like calling an offensive foul on Michael Jordan in the final seconds.

Like the one when he pushed his defender ten yards backwards and his legend grew exponentially (series clincher versus Utah)!!!

Talk about lame.  And I love MJ.  Yet that was ridiculous.

That MJ push on Byron Russell was ridiculous, I'm pretty sure 11 or 12 year old me was screaming at the T.V, I did not like Jordan or the Bulls, and was always against them.  

The push by Smith was pretty obvious, it doesn't get called enough, the offense typically gets away with murder at times with how much they push off to get separation.  

I've been especially upset with this game how few times the national media has not talked about the interception during the first drive, that was out this world ridiculous, and yet I've heard a lot more about the Smith's PI or how there was one second on the clock, or anything thing else, tOSU was gifted a TD and nobody other than us is talking about it!!!!!!

• Applause 1