OregonDucks

Coach Lanning's "Simulated Pressures"

From what I saw, Oregon rushed 4 defensive lineman most of the night against Ohio State with stunts and a handful of linebacker blitzes mixed in.  Is anyone surprised that we didn't see more "simulated pressures" in the Buckeye game that Charles so expertly highlighted in his 2023 article below?  

Was it because Jordan Burch was out of the game with injury? Were Oregon's coaches concerned with the matchups against Ohio State's running backs and tight ends?  

I expected a more aggressive defense, in certain situations, in such a big game. Will Howard was comfortable, most of the night, and, when he had time, picked Oregon apart. Of course, if Burch were healthy and full go, it would have been interesting to see if our front 4 would have wrecked more havoc in the game.  

Thoughts?

Oregon Ducks I believe Burch would have made a big difference.

The 2 sophmores played well but Burch is an experienced baller who is simply a beast. A full grown man who has not been contained in his last three games.

Great players elevate the entire team. JB may not be KT but he is coming into his own. He will be a big suprise for the NUTS when we play them again.

Well, well, well.  Guess what my article on Wednesday is going to contain? My thoughts on this and MORE...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

After rewatching the game, I thought we did fairly well at times getting pressure with 4 rushers. Howard was pretty much on his game.

When we rushed more Howard was less effective. 

Blitzing against such a potent offense is a high risk/reward move.

Over all, I thought our D was excellent. 

A couple bad, broken plays, but in the end, good enough. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2024 at 9:37 PM, DanLduck said:

Blitzing against such a potent offense is a high risk/reward move.

Which is also why we didn't see Ohio State do.all that much against us well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Charles:  I always look forward to your weekly articles.  Can't wait to see your thoughts on this!

Happy:  No doubt that Burch would have made a difference in this game and Oregon's defensive line did get pressure later in the game.  Harmon is unblockable and Matayo was getting in the backfield, especially when Ohio State's OT went down with an unfortunate injury. Perhaps Oregon's coaches didn't think they needed to bring pressure with a healthy line and Burch was injured so late in the week (Thursday?), it was too late by then to make adjustments to the game plan?

David:  That is correct. By my unofficial count, Ohio State blitzed even less than Oregon did. However, I believe that was more of arrogance on Ohio State's part (i.e., we have an NFL line and no one can block them). I wouldn't be surprised to see more blitzes by Ohio State in a potential rematch, as you can't let DG sit back, comfortably in the pocket, and pick you apart.  

P.S. - I'm also surprised that we didn't see more DG runs (other than the long TD, which was a brilliant call). Perhaps the coaches are trying to keep him healthy and will unleash him, if Oregon makes the college football playoffs (like we saw with Herbert)?