FishDuck Article

Oregon Football: The Deep Ball Is Back!

The Ducks peaked at just the right time in putting together their first (not perfect) complete game of the season against Ohio State. The scheduling gods were on Oregon’s side, as Duck fans were able to see improvement from week to week. Had this game been played a couple of weeks earlier, the outcome might have been much different. One ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com discussed how Oregon got the deep ball back just in time for the Buckeyes.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Excellent point about early in the game not passing up the easy points.  Never start chasing points early, you'll chase them all game and end up losing.  Helfrich made that costly mistake!

Thank you Darren for contributing wonderful articles for the FishDuck forum!  You are an amazing fine feathered Duck.

• Thumbs Up 3

The positive side is we haven't seen the best of Lanning yet, if he continues to reflect and adjusts. As fun as it was to watch tosu struggle to get into field goal range and blow it, seeing our Ducks with more points would have been even better.

Great analysis of the points we could have had, and the decision making Lanning could have improved upon. I hope Lanning is as clear on that as you made it for us.

Let's hope Lanning is able to sharpen up his early game decision making while he keeps coming up aces at the end of the game. 

I also look forward to continued improvement from DG. He missed some easy throws, but again we have another guy who is nails when it counts.

I wouldn't want either guy replaced, just want to enjoy the season as it progresses, as our Ducks keep getting better!

• Thumbs Up 1

Football is crazy, In a game where Lanning displayed coaching genius with the high velocity onside kick and the timeout-12 men tandem, he still could have blown it going for 2.

Fortunately, it didn't end that way, and I don't want Lanning to be a coach whose game plan is dictated by analytics. Just Do It, Lanning. 

The 4th and 2 play looks like a bad call because it failed. Tez was wide open so it was a good play, just bad execution.

Had Ohio St. recovered the onside kick many would have called that a bad decision . We recovered, so it was a brilliant call.

The challenge with an aggressive coach is just that he is aggressive. So we have live with the outcome positive or negative.

The onside kick got us 3 points.The 4th and 2 lost them. But could have got us 7.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gabriela deep throws in that game were absolutely beautiful.  When you watch the throws to Tez and to Evan, what you see if that they aren't having to adjust their bodies and lose speed to catch the ball.

I know not every throw was like that and sometimes the WR adjusting is not a bad thing because it also makes the DB adjust.

But on a double move go, a streak, or post route, if you are just going speed; hitting the WR in stride is ideal and Gabriel did that perfectly on those two long throws.

Everytime I've seen those highlights, the placement is just incredible.

On 10/15/2024 at 6:04 AM, Smith72 said:

Excellent point about early in the game not passing up the easy points.  Never start chasing points early, you'll chase them all game and end up losing.  Helfrich made that costly mistake!

Thank you Darren for contributing wonderful articles for the FishDuck forum!  You are an amazing fine feathered Duck.

Thanks! Yeah, didn't Helfrich have 4 failed 2's against Nebraska? Yikes!

On 10/15/2024 at 6:30 AM, Haywarduck said:

The positive side is we haven't seen the best of Lanning yet, if he continues to reflect and adjusts. As fun as it was to watch tosu struggle to get into field goal range and blow it, seeing our Ducks with more points would have been even better.

Great analysis of the points we could have had, and the decision making Lanning could have improved upon. I hope Lanning is as clear on that as you made it for us.

Let's hope Lanning is able to sharpen up his early game decision making while he keeps coming up aces at the end of the game. 

I also look forward to continued improvement from DG. He missed some easy throws, but again we have another guy who is nails when it counts.

I wouldn't want either guy replaced, just want to enjoy the season as it progresses, as our Ducks keep getting better!

The aggressive calls seem to have backfired way more than not in Lanning's short tenure. Of course, there's a place for it, but that first half going for two just screamed "desperately chasing points."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2024 at 6:45 AM, 30Duck said:

Football is crazy, In a game where Lanning displayed coaching genius with the high velocity onside kick and the timeout-12 men tandem, he still could have blown it going for 2.

Fortunately, it didn't end that way, and I don't want Lanning to be a coach whose game plan is dictated by analytics. Just Do It, Lanning. 

Yeah, I mean there are times to be aggressive, but it just seems like everytime he does it I have a bad feeling, where with Chip Kelly, I felt highly confident. Just going with my gut here. 

On 10/15/2024 at 7:22 AM, Fitnessczar said:

The 4th and 2 play looks like a bad call because it failed. Tez was wide open so it was a good play, just bad execution.

Had Ohio St. recovered the onside kick many would have called that a bad decision . We recovered, so it was a brilliant call.

The challenge with an aggressive coach is just that he is aggressive. So we have live with the outcome positive or negative.

The onside kick got us 3 points.The 4th and 2 lost them. But could have got us 7.

There's totally a place for the aggressive calls, but with Lanning, so far, when they line up for it, it's like, "Uh oh!"

On 10/15/2024 at 7:55 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Gabriela deep throws in that game were absolutely beautiful.  When you watch the throws to Tez and to Evan, what you see if that they aren't having to adjust their bodies and lose speed to catch the ball.

I know not every throw was like that and sometimes the WR adjusting is not a bad thing because it also makes the DB adjust.

But on a double move go, a streak, or post route, if you are just going speed; hitting the WR in stride is ideal and Gabriel did that perfectly on those two long throws.

Everytime I've seen those highlights, the placement is just incredible.

For sure, they were totally in sync on Saturday. 

Darren, I'm going to disagree about the 4th down on the 2.

1) Gabriel, like Bo last year missed an open receiver.

2) We then held osu and they had to punt, after which we went down and scored a TD.  So, we eventually got the TD vs a FG.

3)  If we kick the FG, then all the rest of the game is different.  Just like the non int in the 1st quarter.  Who knows what happens after that if we are awarded the ball.

4)  Just glad we did kick the FG in the 4th.

On 10/15/2024 at 9:27 AM, Darren Perkins said:

where with Chip Kelly, I felt highly confident. Just going with my gut here. 

Maybe someone will correct me, but Chip usually went for 2 when the Ducks were up 28 in the 2nd quarter.