The Kamikaze Kid

Dan Lanning Has Arrived

When Nick Saban retired, less than 24 hours later the national story was “ Will Lanning be the next Bama coach?” Then 24 hours after that the national story was the epic Lanning video where he exclaimed “ The grass is damn green in Eugene!”

Just after the epic victory over tOSU people were asking “Was that 12 man penalty intentional?”. Twenty four hours later it was “Lanning’s a genius!” Now it’s Lanning’s too smart for the rule book!

Lanning’s ability to put himself and the UO in the national spotlight as ahead of the curve innovators is unparalleled. His in game coaching decisions are beginning to balance between river boat gambler and “Just take the points.”.His recruiting chops were already legend before he even got here.

I’d say at this point, Lanning has arrived. The BIG and NCAA have both noticed and are scared. SUC is saying “We told you so.” Fuskie has given up saying anything at all. We are living in the glory days. What a  wonderful time to be a Duck fan!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

With all due respect to Curt Cignetti at Indiana, also in his 1st year in the B1G and his 1st year coaching at Indiana. A COY very often goes to the coach who oversaw the most improvement. Indiana was 3-9 last season, are 6-0 now. But Cignetti didn't coach Indiana last season, this is his first year, and it's basically a new team.

The COY, if the season keeps going the way it is now is Dan Lanning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Coach Lanning will always have that "river boat gambler" in him. And we as fans will rejoice when it works, and heavily sigh when it doesn't. 

But it will always be exciting. 

DL is still learning how to coach and boy I'm glad he's a Duck.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Rob, Show Danno The $$$$$$$!

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Newly released salary data illustrates how the SEC and Big Ten lead the way in coach compensation

Linc is Overpaid. Who Knew? And there are a whole lot of Whos. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Which schools are getting their money's worth out of their coaches in 2024?

I don't think you can overstate the importance of this win, which is clearly Lanning's signature win up to this point.

That said, it's ONE win. Can we check a couple of these boxes before we get out the annointing oil?

1. Win against the fuskies!!!

2. Win in the Big House, the Shoe or Happy Valley.

3. Conference title.

4. Playoff appearance

5. NATTY!!!

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Bama fans were speaking of KDB as the next Saban genius after he beat UGA. Sorry if I seem callous, but I’m still in “wait and see” mode until OBD gets into the playoffs and wins a game or two.

However, tomorrow evening will tell me a lot about him and this team. If they win comfortably then I will agree they’re on a great track. If they slog one out then I’ll be happy with a long road win on a short week, but still have some reservations about being elite.