FishDuck Article

Oregon Becoming the Team We Expected

After playing two great quarters last week against the UCLA Bruins, the Ducks put together a more complete game on Saturday against the Colorado Buffaloes. Granted, a weak Colorado team is not the best measuring stick, but the Ducks appear to be turning into the team that Oregon fans thought they should have seen from the start of the season, ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I agree and the injuries and penalties come across as good coaching to me. The coaches are showing their strength with their ability to impact the players.

One need look no further than how the team has been able to overcome injuries to see how student athletes are being coached up. There is talent on this team, but players are being groomed to take over positions. The tosu game was the first example as players went down, Thibs the big one, and players were ready to step up. Kudos to the coaches for having players ready to fill gaps and execute.

The other is penalties, and the coaches seem to be cleaning this up. This again is either a focus of a coaching staff or it isn't. This staff seems to have the culture going the right way with the penalties being the canary in the coal mine. Cristobal getting after a player, and the intensity seen on the sideline is paying off. Players must complete their task, and stay focused on the team. We aren't the sc of the north at all!

We have the talent to go a long way. The question for me has always been can the coaches create the program to compete again. These two areas are encouraging me to see a path to where we want to be at the end of the season. It will be fun to see if they can keep it going, or will they stumble. Either way the direction is reassuring me we will get there with time, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Colorado game did seem to be just what Mario wants. The Ducks controlled the LOS on both sides for the entire game. The offense wasn't what we were doing just with bigger players, but it was dynamic, in rhythm, a mix of run and pass, and the defense wasn't Georgia, but it  stifled the Buffs( remember Allioti & WSU)

Is Cristobal pulling an Altman? Are the Ducks gathering steam at the end of the season?

• Thumbs Up 1

Great and fun take. In a short season after such a long season and with such a limited so-called 'Playoff' field its hard to overreact one way or the other after every game?

As Lou Holtz said: You have a different team every week.

Edited by Jon Joseph

Excellent points Darren.  The Ducks are playing with "Rhythm and Flow" on offense!  All position groups have improved.  

No punts in the last game.  Every drive resulted in a score.  Now that is exciting football!  

Continued improvement in the penalty department speaks well for the Culture the coaches are creating.  TEAM.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2021 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Granted, a weak Colorado team is not the best measuring stick, ...

Good point. 

The UW game should be interesting since they have a pretty good pass defense, it'll be interesting to see if we can still move the ball downfield well through the air although I do expect us to lean on the run game more.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

I agree and the injuries and penalties come across as good coaching to me. The coaches are showing their strength with their ability to impact the players.

One need look no further than how the team has been able to overcome injuries to see how student athletes are being coached up. There is talent on this team, but players are being groomed to take over positions. The tosu game was the first example as players went down, Thibs the big one, and players were ready to step up. Kudos to the coaches for having players ready to fill gaps and execute.

The other is penalties, and the coaches seem to be cleaning this up. This again is either a focus of a coaching staff or it isn't. This staff seems to have the culture going the right way with the penalties being the canary in the coal mine. Cristobal getting after a player, and the intensity seen on the sideline is paying off. Players must complete their task, and stay focused on the team. We aren't the sc of the north at all!

We have the talent to go a long way. The question for me has always been can the coaches create the program to compete again. These two areas are encouraging me to see a path to where we want to be at the end of the season. It will be fun to see if they can keep it going, or will they stumble. Either way the direction is reassuring me we will get there with time, Go Ducks!

Good stuff. The team seems to be growing together at just the right time. 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:13 AM, 30Duck said:

The Colorado game did seem to be just what Mario wants. The Ducks controlled the LOS on both sides for the entire game. The offense wasn't what we were doing just with bigger players, but it was dynamic, in rhythm, a mix of run and pass, and the defense wasn't Georgia, but it  stifled the Buffs( remember Allioti & WSU)

Is Cristobal pulling an Altman? Are the Ducks gathering steam at the end of the season?

Ah, an Altman comparison, that can only be a good thing. 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:18 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great and fun take. In a short season after such a long season and with such a limited so-called 'Playoff' field its hard to overreact one way or the other after every game?

As Lou Holtz said: You have a different team every week.

Ain't that the truth, Lou!

On 11/2/2021 at 7:21 AM, Smith72 said:

Excellent points Darren.  The Ducks are playing with "Rhythm and Flow" on offense!  All position groups have improved.  

No punts in the last game.  Every drive resulted in a score.  Now that is exciting football!  

Continued improvement in the penalty department speaks well for the Culture the coaches are creating.  TEAM.  Go Ducks!

No punts... I remember when the punter used to always be Oregon's best player! Tommy Thompson, anybody?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2021 at 7:48 AM, DimpleDucks said:

Good point. 

... but practice makes perfect. Had the Ducks struggled offensively I would be having a very negative outlook on being able to run the table.  

On 11/2/2021 at 8:37 AM, deschutesduck said:

The UW game should be interesting since they have a pretty good pass defense, it'll be interesting to see if we can still move the ball downfield well through the air although I do expect us to lean on the run game more.

And hopefully our defense has breakout game and totally shuts the Huskies down. I feel like the defense is next in taking it to the next level of which I believe they are capable. 

• Thumbs Up 1