Charles Fischer

What a Major Pundit Says About Oregon vs. Illinois...

Some interesting quotes from a pundit in The Athletic with my comments in bold...

-------------------------------------------------

"Illinois is to play No. 1 Oregon as massive underdogs in one of the rowdiest stadiums in the nation this season. Eugene isn’t typically listed among the wildest venues in the sport, but the big games Oregon has hosted in 2024 have been a scene. Illinois will be walking into a high-energy thresher to face an Oregon team without many, if any, weak spots."

Opposing teams don't get it until they experience it, and every team in the B1G will not be sold until they come to Autzen.  Expect an Illini offense a little in shock...

"The junior Illini QB is pressured on 40 percent of his dropbacks, and Illinois is ranked 124th in tackles for a loss allowed. Oregon’s daunting pass rush should make a meal out of Altmyer’s protection detail."

Oh baby, that is NOT a good matchup against Oregon. Sack-Attack coming!

"The Illini have a highly credible defense of their own, coming in at 22nd in points allowed per game (18.6). However, they’ve been wide open to rushing attacks lately, which means Oregon’s Jordan James could be in line for some resume-boosting stats."

Right.  They have 270 pound defensive tackles of which are 40-50 pounds undersized to what our offensive line is used to. This is one time that the most boring play in the playbook, the most basic play, the Inside Zone, might just be the primary play of the Oregon offense in this game.

Thus I do not think we will see anything new from the playbook...

Jordan James in open field_CS.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Actually, the Pundit is wrong from the start. B1G teams might not believe it, but the noise level @ Autzen is well known, along with, "It's amazing that little stadium can be so loud!"

270 pound DT's? Those aren't B1G at all, and on the other side I'm carefully considering my Sacks number for tomorrow's prediction. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Salute 3
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Interesting graphics, but how is OBD the 2nd luckiest team in B1G?  What's luck got to do with our success?!

I guess 2nd one is trying to say that while Oregon sports fans are asleep, the Ducks caught fire and protect the fans from all the other failing teams?  But why the military uniform?  Weird is probably a kind description for that graphic, but I have to say that OBD gets very little respect in Portland TV stations.   Even when we are No. 1 in the country, they still talk about the loser rodents almost as much as OBD.  

• Applause 1

On 10/24/2024 at 10:42 AM, DuckFan93 said:

Interesting graphics, but how is OBD the 2nd luckiest team in B1G?  What's luck got to do with our success?!

Maybe they think it's lucky to survive a game with tOSU after giving them a free touchdown on the first drive. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Their DT's are small, but they held Michigan to 114 yards on the ground with two fumbles lost. However, their defense gave up over 200 yards to the vaunted Michigan passing attack.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great post, Charles. 

The Illini DL has smaller DTs but they are active and play godd complimentary football with the LBs. And it's not like OBD's OL played well vs. Purdue. It didn't. Purdue had the better run game. 

This is Super Bowl time for the illini. Illinois has the easiest remainging sterngth of schedule among teams still in contention for the B1G title. I expect Illinois, like it did at Penn State, will do everything it can to shorten the game. Illinois's No. 1 RB missed the Michigan game but is back this week.

On the road at Penn State, Illinois briefly held a 7-point lead after scoring on its 1st drive but was shut out for the rest of the game by a stout PSU D. PSU is averaging 34.2 points a game, 28th in the nation, Illinois lost at PSU 21-7. 

Oregon pitched a shutout last week but the tackling was terrible. It was Purdue on a short week and a long flight so I get it. But Oregon better come with a far better attitude this Saturday. This is OBD's toughest remaining home game in 2024. 

GO DUCKS! No champagne for the boys from Champaign. 

A Take on the Game from a Newspaper that Covers the Illini.

https://www.register-herald.com/sports/national_sports/no-20-illinois-uses-no-1-oregons-ranking-as-motivation-heading-into-saturdays-meeting/article_7bee735f-f5fb-540e-b1ec-a9835423314c.html

Bielema as the Wisconsin coach lost a close game to the Ducks in the 2012 Rose Bowl, 45-38. 

OBD is 1-2 vs. Illinois. With a 1-game 'win streak,' 34-31 in a game played in Eugene in September of 1995. 

GO DUCKS!

Saturday Tradition B1G Picks Vs. The Spread.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Week 9 Big Ten picks against the spread are all lined up for another jam-packed Saturday of B1G football!

Ducks win but no cover? I see a close game for a half with Oregon flying away and getting the cover.

The B1G Boys have yet to figure it out. The B1G best adopt to OBD and not the other way around. 👍😍

Fake punt vs Michigan affects outcome...