Tandaian

Olympic Sports Losing Roster Spots

Everybody saw this coming, but nobody cared.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

While the NCAA and power conferences agreed to expand upon scholarships as part of the settlement, they also imposed roster limits for sports, many of which did not previously exist.

Many of us fans wrote about it, cared, but what can we do in the cheap-seats?

"In football, it is estimated that more than 1,500 walk-on players — roughly 20-30 per team — will see their spots cut."

"In all, the 68 power conference schools are expected to eliminate at least 3,000 roster positions as administrators work to adhere to new roster limitations, reallocate resources from lower-tier to revenue-generating sports, and balance men and women opportunities to comply with the federal Title IX law."

Mr. FishDuck

There are a lot of things that are absolutely wrong about college sports.  Coaches make way more than they should, cut those salaries down and it would free up a lot of money, way too much money has gone into the arms race of facilities, no college team should have facilities that are vastly better compared to the pros.  Football and Basketball players are pampered beyond belief (most of what I'm talking about is major college sports of course).

Now I understand how it's the market that has driven all of this, without the facilities Oregon wouldn't be where it is today, coaches are simply being paid what the market dictates, players are what generate the revenue of athletics.  I get all this.  It now has come to the point where it has destroyed olympic sports, the athletes who are truly student athletes. 

It's really sad, and while I don't blame the football and basketball players, what is sad is that they do have a part in this ,and they probably won't give one iota about these fellow athletes. 

Of course a huge portion falls back on the coaches, the athletic directors, the boosters, media, lawyers who see an opportunity for a pay day based on the argument that the scholarship model is comparable to slavery (which is an absolutely ridiculous idea), everyone is a part of this.  Now we have innocent student athletes who will not be rewarded for their hard work in their sport, whether it's the male volleyball player who loses their partial scholarship, or the walk-on who dreamed of simply suiting up for the hometown team.

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We knew this was coming. Title IX and using football/bball revenue to finance all the sports has shown to be a poor model. 

I don't know what the answer is, but spending tons of $$ on sports that few people watch or follow is costing someone somewhere. 

The success of football has covered the craziness of supporting so many sports (m & f) that not only don't generate $$ but cost so much to have.

I'm thinking tv revenue might slow down as well if streaming continues to increase.

Well in the meantime,  we have few Olympic sports and a football team in 1st place. I'm good for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am guessing that they structured a specific scholarship limit on sports to specifically define who is a “student athlete”. While it eliminates fringe athletes, they probably need to know who they will have to pay when they lose future lawsuits.

On 10/25/2024 at 7:09 PM, spartan2785 said:

no college team should have facilities that are vastly better compared to the pros.  

This right here is the difference between having boosters and having an owner.

• Thumbs Up 1