NJDuck

Softy from KJR sounds off on Oregon vs. Washington: ‘We hate you. You hate us.’

Fun read below.  There is a podcast as well.  Rivalry week with Washington.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2021/11/softy-from-kjr-sounds-off-on-oregon-vs-washington-we-hate-you-you-hate-us.html

image.png.52789abb13b198922debee7e6e37bc5d.png

Dave “Softy” Mahler hosts a radio show for KJR in Seattle. He joined me on Wednesday for a 1-on-1 interview about the upcoming Oregon vs. Washington football game.

It didn’t disappoint.

On Jimmy Lake’s slap at Oregon this week:
“They’re absolutely a recruiting rival. I think Jimmy got kind of caught a little bit. I think he was trying to take a fun little shot at Oregon and their lack of academic prowess if you will compared to places like UW and Stanford and Cal and Notre Dame and it just didn’t land right. I got no problem with that. I got no problem with coaches taking shots at schools. I thought what Michael Schill told you was brilliant. I love that stuff. I think we need more of that in this rivalry. I am so sick and tired of the political correctness that has snuck into rivalries. The best thing we can do is governors and mayors betting salmon and cheese the week before a game. Forget that stuff. We hate you. You hate us.”

On whether Oregon vs. Washington is a rivalry when the Ducks have won 16 of the last 20:
“You tweeted out the record between Oregon and UW in the last 20 years. Do you do that before the Ducks play Arizona? Do you do that before they play Stanford? Do you do that before they play UCLA? Or Washington State? Of course you don’t. Why? Because you don’t give a damn. That’s why. This is the greatest thing that has happened to Oregon football in the past 30 years and don’t even try to say something different. Never mind the BCS national championship game, the Final Four, the Rose Bowls, Mariota’s Heisman trophy, blah, blah, blah. All of that, you know it and your listeners know all that is secondary to the dominance that Oregon has established over Washington in the last 20 years. That is the absolute No. 1 thing. That is your favorite thing if you’re an Oregon fan that has happened in the last 25 years... nothing else is a close second.”

The interview was entertaining, informative and worth your time.

I would put 16-4 first only one time a year. Here we go again, the dawgs putting themselves way too high on the importance scale. Some things never change, like the losses!  

5sy753.jpg

Softy is great, he is a living example of everything we scoff at Washington about. Sure Lake was talking about Washington's "Academic Prowess" But he is a football coach, not a Professor, so he fumbled his lines, no sweat. The more ridiculous statements the better!

On 11/4/2021 at 6:23 AM, NJDuck said:

Do you do that before they play UCLA? Or Washington State? Of course you don’t. Why? Because you don’t give a damn. That’s why. This is the greatest thing that has happened to Oregon football in the past 30 years and don’t even try to say something different. Never mind the BCS national championship game, the Final Four, the Rose Bowls, Mariota’s Heisman trophy, blah, blah, blah. All of that, you know it and your listeners know all that is secondary to the dominance that Oregon has established over Washington in the last 20 years. That is the absolute No. 1 thing. That is your favorite thing if you’re an Oregon fan that has happened in the last 25 years... nothing else is a close second.”

And that part was priceless!

He epitomizes one truth about the rivalry; both sides love to hate each other!

Mr. FishDuck

The best way to really anger Husky fans would be to not care about them and their teams.

"We actually compete with more football prowess schools".

Softy has to be hating this:

I took an a gf to a Fuskie game when the Ducks had won 8 in a row. She was amazed at how all hydrants were painted green and yellow and how the Fuskie fans were throwing bread on the ground. The game was over by halftime. 

On our way out we had our stadium cushions slung over our backs walking towards our car. Some drunk Fuskie fan ran up to her and kicked her in the back. From that point on she said, "I don't like Huskies."