Jon Joseph

MORE ON 'DID THE COMMITTEE GET IT RIGHT?'

Where would you rank this 1 loss team?

Given up the 8th most sacks in its conference.

QB is being pressured on one out of every 3 throws. 11 in the conference.

21.5% of rushing attempts are stopped at or behind the LOS. 

Lost on the road to a team not in the Committee's top 10. 

Has 2 top 25 wins: vs 2L #16 and 3L #17. 

This team's 'quality' P5 OOC win came against an opponent that is 4-4 and NR.

As you more than likely figured out, the team is #2 Alabama. 

The inconsistency from the Committee continues. Apply stats when you so desire and the eye test and past performance when you so desire?

• Thumbs Up 3

"Past History" seems to be the committee's unspoken factor.

Great reveal, Jon.  LSU had a historic season in 2019, Georgia is dominating 2021, but all the drama is on No. 2 Alabama after the Reveal.

On 11/4/2021 at 4:48 PM, Annie said:

"Past History" seems to be the committee's unspoken factor.

Spot on Annie. Bama gets a Mulligan every season. Why don't I get one in the Super Senior Club Championship?

Possibly because Bama has won a few titles and I have not done so? And Bama on the football field draws far more eyeballs than do I on the 1st tee.

You have so correctly pointed out the problem with this entire so-called Playoff 'system.'

The Committee simply makes it up as it goes along and history and $ count.

If ESPN did not own this product there would be no reason for 'interim reports?'

Reveal , like the basketball committee does with its 64 or so,  with your Final 4 after champ games are played and stop increasing the carbon load flying everyone into Grapevine.

Grapevine, TX? With all do respect, I for one can think of better spots to fly into once a week?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 5:07 PM, 30Duck said:

Great reveal, Jon.  LSU had a historic season in 2019, Georgia is dominating 2021, but all the drama is on No. 2 Alabama after the Reveal.

30, I was so tempted to put the Bama/LSU game on the it matters PO list?

LSU is #3 in sacks in the SEC. LSU has a number of ruinous injuries but I don't think the LSU guys are ready to quit on Coach O? Especially against Bama. 

On 11/4/2021 at 2:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Grapevine, TX? With all do respect, I for one can think of better spots to fly into once a week?

The Gaylord in Grapevine Texas, home of the $250 Kobe wagyu strip steak, $10-$30 potato, $14 mushroom and$15 veggie!  At the super price of $629 per night plus tax.

I can think of more affordable spots to fly in to once a week as well!

• Haha 1

This is not the Alabama offense of the last 3 years or so, Young started out hot at QB, but has come down, and the WR's have definitely taken a step back. 28 points against an LSU that's season would be saved with a W at 'Bama?

Bama is ranked that high to salvage any missteps by UGA and save the day for ESECPN. Their hope is that Bama beats UGA in the SEC championship game so that both teams get in. However if Bama loses to Auburn then they can justify ranking Auburn in the top 6 because they beat the #2 team (We all can appreciate that a great win trumps any bad loss). That way, if UGA loses to Auburn in the conference championship game then they would easily remain in the top 4.

If A&M beats Auburn this weekend and Auburn beats Bama then A&M would move into the top 6 and face UGA in the conference championship game (if they can win out). Once again, the justification for keeping UGA in the playoff if they slip up against A&M in Atlanta. Bama’s #2 ranking is the only reason why Ole Miss, MSU and A&M have their current rankings. If Bama was ranked 8th or so then A&M would be out of the top 20 and Ole Miss and MSU would be unranked. The SEC is nothing more than a big “self-licking ice cream cone”. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, Confused said:

Because Bama currently has 16 5 star players, and all but a handful of the rest are HIGH 4 star athletes.  They win every other title and ever nc goes through them.  

Great comment but A/K/A, History?

Based on rosters only, the Ducks stroll through the next 5 games? I see 5 tests coming?

If past champs automatically get a Mulligan that only confirms that this is an invitational and not a Playoff?

If the quality of your roster counts more than on field results. something is wrong, no?

Tiger Woods did not win every tourney when he tee'd it up.

On 11/4/2021 at 5:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

f the quality of your roster counts more than on field results. something is wrong, no?

This is exactly what Colin Cowherd was espousing yesterday. Alabama doesn't just get a nudge because of their wins, but because, "They're loaded with 4 & 5 star talent. They play in front of 90,000 every game, they're allowed to lose one.  If they lose 2, they're out. Cincinnati and their fans should be savoring the attention they're getting this season."

On 11/4/2021 at 9:04 PM, 30Duck said:

This is exactly what Colin Cowherd was espousing yesterday. Alabama doesn't just get a nudge because of their wins, but because, "They're loaded with 4 & 5 star talent. They play in front of 90,000 every game, they're allowed to lose one.  If they lose 2, they're out. Cincinnati and their fans should be savoring the attention they're getting this season."

Spot on! That's why we need a "PLAYOFF" and not an invitational.

Instead of witching about the current system, The Alliance should be pushing for a 12 team PO field. Especially, 'partner' Big 10. Instead of witching about OK/TX heading to the SEC, go for the gold.

Lot's of leverage on ESPN and its exclusive broadcast rights. You come to the table ESPN like you should come to the table before 2026; or, you face the loss that will come from a whole lot of media competition down the road.

I don't care if the SEC gets multiple teams in an expanded PO. The SEC has 3 or 4 teams in the existing NY6 now. $6M for every team in the PO and $4M for every team in an NY6 game?

This amount will double plus with a 12 team field. And the Pac-12 will be in and score the consequent money.

What would be the difference be regarding the SEC and a 12 team PO? The SEC will still be paid but the Pac-12 will make more money and along with NIL perhaps keep some of the studs migrating east at home?

The SEC would still rake in the $ with the B1G equal or a close 2nd. But the Pac-12 will at least get 1 team into the PO and get paid.

And who knows? Go to an 8 game regular season schedule with the Ducks playing Portland State at home in late November instead of going on the road vs Utah? Maybe multiple Pac-12 teams could be PO bound?

This conference has to stop beating itself up. 

1 Alliance OOC game will not come close to what the Ducks + the Pac-12 could make from a 12 team PO.

Sorry, but from Commish GK I am seeing the same short-sighted leadership we saw out of Larry? Rejecting market expansion in favor of another P5 OOC game makes no sense. Keeping the PO as is makes no sense.

Unless your conference champion is a steady contender in the PO, why schedule another P5 game? The additional one more P5 OOC game 'solution' to SEC expansion is financially counter-intuitive. 

Why does GK or anyone else in charge of the Pac-12 think that with the current set-up the Pac-12 is going to score big bucks? And consistently have 2 to 3 teams challenging for a PO spot?

Either go big Alliance or go small? Either a 12 nationwide PO; or, the Alliance hosts its own Run For The Roses Tournament without the SEC and newly restructured B12.

The conference is tripping over dollars to save pennies. Business-wise, this is completely absurd. You expand markets as a successful business entity. You do not stay 'as is' member-wise and/or Playoff-wise. One way or the other you expand.

Being ticked off because OK/TX is joining the SEC drops no $ to the bottom line.

I realize my friends that I harp on THIS. But this is a big business. You have to manage the conference regarding money ball football as a big business.

Who suffers if you don't act as responsible business people? Football itself and many the non-revenue sport.

• Thumbs Up 1