Southwest Duck

Kelvin Banks backing off his commitment?

https://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/2021/11/kelvin-banks-5-star-ol-visiting-texas-am-possibly-texas-but-remains-committed-to-oregon-ducks.html

With losing two wr commits in the last week and Kingsley entering the portal, this story has me really nervous.

Hopefully Banks is still a solid commit, but taking visits to Texas and Texas a&m is not good at all.

Do all these young guys know something we don’t know?

Could Mario be considering LSU or USC?

At A+M you can bet they will be pushing the SEC, the 90,000+ fans at A+M games, the ESPN/SEC network, the # of players the SEC sends to the NFL and the # of players A+M has sent to the NFL since Jimbo arrived. A legit shot at the PO and playing in a 'real football conference' and not in what really is a G5 conference. Playing at a time of day where folks nationwide will watch and be able to watch on a real media platform and not on the functionally insolvent Pac-12 Network.

This, and probably a nice NIL deal with an A+M booster?

100,000 people attend the games UT plays in Austin. UT is headed to the SEC and UT boosters have very deep pockets. 

I wouldn't bank on Banks playing in Eugene?

What Mario has done is amazing. But any kid with an in-state SEC offer is going to be very tough for Mario to close. The kid from Arkansas is an example.

Of course, the word 'commitment' as used in CFB, is a joke. I don't get too juiced up about recruiting before the early signing day. These are talented young people who will be pursued up to the moment when they sign and truly commit.

• Thumbs Up 1

One would have to wonder if the poor playing/coaching between tOSU and Colorado games is contributing to this (small) tide of discontent among recruits.  I really hope I am wrong, but I would not be surprised.   Fingers crossed that the Ducks kill Dawgs tomorrow and make statements in all the games remaining this season.   That will help cement recruiting.

• Thumbs Up 2

I get excited when they commit, hopeful when they sign and ecstatic when they see the field. It is truly a process where the Canton's fizzle and the Kingsley leave, while the Walk's, walk-on and become stars.

We can hope for the top star ratings, but the stars on the field come from effort and passion, something the camps and pundits, often, can't measure. It really takes getting them on the field, the real field, when the rubber hits the road and to see if they really have talent, and maybe just maybe the ability to lead men on the field.

There are so many variables that when a prospect says he is looking elsewhere, oh well, that is part of the process and maybe Kingsley didn't look enough. Maybe we didn't look hard enough at the Canton's. It is a process where boys become men and mens dreams just might come true. Our dreams, though, are just that, dreams of others processes.

The real story is the lives and the impacts becoming a Duck and playing on the team have on individuals. The wins and losses matter, but only so much that they are lessons on the way to generate outcomes for creating men of integrity and strength. Long week, have a great Duck Weekend! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I couldn't agree more Hayward. At the end of the day nearly all my favorite players have not been hyped up high 4 and 5 star guys. 

In fact I believe we have had a lot of highly rated guys not pan out. I mean even Thib's hasn't met the insane expectations of the media and fans from when he was recruited. Don't get me wrong he has been great, but coming in it was that he was going to have 10+ sacks every season. He hasn't reached that once and these are the last 4-6 games we will ever see him in a Duck uniform.

The most important character type we need recruited is heart and desire. Sheer talent is great and goes a long way, but without heart and desire it doesn't go as far. 

Looks like Kingsley ended up at BYU like pretty much all of us predicted. Family and religion are huge for many poly players so I am not at all surprised. 

Who was the other WR commit we lost besides Sategna?

Edited by C J
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2