C J

It Will Boil Down to Mistakes This Saturday Night

The Ducks have gotten where they have so far on sheer talent as they have made more mistakes than most teams in the Pac 12. 

For instance the Ducks currently have 68 penalties for 645 yards lost on the season, the fourth worst in the Pac 12 behind three other really bad teams. Meanwhile Wazzu only has 44 penalties for 379 yards, nearly half the level of mistakes. 

The turnover situation is a bit better, as we currently have a 0.7 turnover margin for second in the Pac 12 behind Cal. The bad news is that Wazzu has the third best turnover margin at 0.6, and they have more takeaways than any other team in the league at 20.....with 11 fumble recoveries. Holding onto the ball will be a huge part of the game and this has been historically an issue for Travis Dye. 

I know it's cliche and kind of goes without saying but look for mistakes to play an outsized role in the result of this Saturday nights game. Can the Ducks put together a more mistake free game than they have been able to so far? If not then I think there is a high probability of a loss, because Wazzu has been one of the more mistake free teams in the Pac12 this season.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:40 PM, C J said:

The Ducks have gotten where they have so far on sheer talent as they have made more mistakes than most teams in the Pac 12. 

For instance the Ducks currently have 68 penalties for 645 yards lost on the season, the fourth worst in the Pac 12 behind three other really bad teams. Meanwhile Wazzu only has 44 penalties for 379 yards, nearly half the level of mistakes. 

The turnover situation is a bit better, as we currently have a 0.7 turnover margin for second in the Pac 12 behind Cal. The bad news is that Wazzu has the third best turnover margin at 0.6, and they have more takeaways than any other team in the league at 20.....with 11 fumble recoveries. Holding onto the ball will be a huge part of the game and this has been historically an issue for Travis Dye. 

I know it's cliche and kind of goes without saying but look for mistakes to play an outsized role in the result of this Saturday nights game. Can the Ducks put together a more mistake free game than they have been able to so far? If not then I think there is a high probability of a loss, because Wazzu has been one of the more mistake free teams in the Pac12 this season.

The fact that a possible loss to WSU is a topic for discussion, just reinforces the questions about Oregon’s number three ranking. Imagine what Georgia, or Alabama, would lay on the Cougs. Or Ohio State, right now, for that matter. The Ducks need to dominate Saturday night……enough of this scraping by. 

• Thumbs Up 1

WSU Offense

11 INT's

19 Sacks, 145 yards lost

Nuff said

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2021 at 3:48 PM, DUCKED said:

Imagine what Georgia, or Alabama, would lay on the Cougs. Or Ohio State, right now, for that matter. The Ducks need to dominate Saturday night……enough of this scraping by. 

So true!  The Ducks need to come out and dominate the LOS on both sides of the ball from the 1st quarter though the 4th.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2021 at 4:05 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

WSU Offense

11 INT's

19 Sacks, 145 yards lost

Nuff said

Spot on. These numbers are definitely in our favor and hopefully we can cash in multiple times on both of these aspects of the game Saturday night. They are correlated stats in that the more pressure Thib's and co. can get on de Laura the more apt we are to see interceptions.

I would love to see at least 2 picks and 4 sacks in this game.

On 11/11/2021 at 6:20 PM, PittDuck said:
On 11/11/2021 at 3:48 PM, DUCKED said:

Imagine what Georgia, or Alabama, would lay on the Cougs. Or Ohio State, right now, for that matter. The Ducks need to dominate Saturday night……enough of this scraping by. 

So true!  The Ducks need to come out and dominate the LOS on both sides of the ball from the 1st quarter though the 4th.

I feel confident we will dominate physically in this game. The question comes in whether we can dominate mentally by minimizing stupid penalties, making good decisions from the QB position and holding onto the ball.

Another big area I hope we improve this week is with kick off and punt coverage as well as kick off and punt returns. Not all special teams have been an issue as field goal kicking and punting have been good.

Run the ball like the team did at UW once it got decent field position and it's game over for the Cougs. Jimmy Lake is not having many the good day lately but his D works against WSU.

I hope DeRuyter will copy + paste?

• Thumbs Up 1