Jon Joseph

THE RUN FOR THE ROSES

If the Alliance and the other CFB powers-that-be cannot reach a going forward PO expansion agreement, I think the following format could be the way to go down the road? The SEC has dominated the PO and the NY6 bowls and has consequently received the big BCS/Playoff bowl payouts. No wonder the SEC wants a 12 team Playoff.

In light of the $ the SEC is pocketing every year, I think The Alliance conferences and Notre Dame could cash in sans the B12 and the SEC, to a greater extent than what they are receiving today? And what have they received from the so-called Playoff? 2 B1G teams have made the Playoff. 1 title.  2 Pac-12 teams have made the Playoff. No title. 2 ACC teams have made the Playoff. Clemson, multiple titles. Notre Dame has twice reached the PO, no titles. So perhaps this is not a great idea for Clemson ( at least the Clemson of not so long ago,) but for everyone else?

How about "The Run for the Roses Tournament?" Champ game played 1/1 in the Rose Bowl. 3 Alliance Champs are in. Along with 5 AL teams from the participating conferences and Notre Dame.  Sorry, but no pretend you can get in G5 participants allowed.

Using Week 2 PO Committee rankings, the following would be today's RFTR field:

1. Oregon Pac-12 vs 8. Wisconsin AL - Autzen Stadium

2. Oho State B1G vs 7 NC State AL- The Shoe

3. Michigan AL vs Wake Forest ACC - The Big House

4, Michigan State AL vs 5 Notre Dame AL - The Woodshed

As so noted above, quarter finals would be played on the home field of the 4 highest ranked teams. Semifinals played in a rota of Indianapolis/Atlanta and Las Vegas/Glendale. Title game played in the Rose Bowl on January 1st. My guess, NBC would want in to cover ND. B1G partner FOX would want in. CBS with the SEC taken away by ESPN would want in. And Turner and others, including ESPN, would want into the broadcast rights bidding. Does the Alliance and ND have any reason to continue to prop up the SEC? NO!

BTW if bowl agreements like Pac-12/B1G in the Rose Bowl and SEC/B12 in the Sugar Bowl do not violate antitrust laws. The RFTR would not violet antitrust laws. Post 2026, the B12, SEC and G5 are free to hold whatever post season tournament(s) they so desire. Just as they are today allowed to schedule OOC as they so desire.

The RFTR would be its own game within the great game that is CFB. It would help CFB to return to being a more regional than a national sport. It would cut off the SEC/ESPN cartel at the pass. Not to go Jimmy Lake on you all, but RFTR would be a PO among college conferences and an independent that still give a whip about academics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe this idea has merit and you can do so, please forward this on to GK and other Alliance stake holders. And perhaps forward this to Jon Wilner., Canzano and other Pac-12 scribes? If you do so, please leave my name out of it. The idea is far more important than  my bringing it forth (and others have likely conceived of the RFTR before I) and the idea has a better chance of being adopted if 'thought up by' someone with far more influence than have I. 

Don't want to expand your conference Alliance members? Fine. But you then best be thinking outside of the ESPN/SEC CFB cartel box. Paul Finebaum, the half P5/G5 B12, SEC and ESPN would likely think: "The RFTR Just Means Less?" Who in the heck cares?  Bank would be made and a modicum of academic integrity would be preserved.

Edited by Jon Joseph

That will take a set of big ones from one strong leader in the room.

It is doable......

You are correct that other networks would want in. Part of millions is simply better than watching it on their tv.

More money for everyone. The SEC titans would gladly keep all the money in houTV.

Then someone with bigger ones would have their champion play the Rose Champion. Too much money to ignore  

Brilliance, sheer brilliance. WW2

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2021 at 9:50 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

That will take a set of big ones from one strong leader in the room.

It is doable......

Therein lies the problem. It is entirely doable, but will The Alliance Just Do It? So far they have been content with the leftovers as the SEC gorges itself. Football probably means more to an Alabaman? But that's because it's really all they have. But, just because the Pac-12er has more options doesn't mean they have to bend over and say, "Thank you, SEC, can I have another?"

The SEC has no reason to change the current system, except to make it better for them. The Alliance needs to finally act in their benefit and help themselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Happy and 30. Out-of-the-box thinking is desperately needed. Playing 1 additional OOC game is not coming close to the edge of the envelop. 

The NCAA has and never has had anything to do with deciding the big boy CFB title. For decades the title was the province of news organizations. Alliance, bag the SEC and hold your own playoff. Joining the BCS was optional. Joining the BCS x2, the so-called Playoff, was optional. The BCS/BCS x 2 option has worked out fantastically for the SEC. And in fairness, it has dropped sugar from the bottom of the shaker on other conferences. But nothing close to the sugar dropped on the SEC. And the G5 is in the PO mix simply to placate politicians.

The B1G? With the huge number of alumni/alumnae the B1G with great leadership, leadership that brought an all expenses paid network to the B1G, was and is fine on its own. The B1G is in The Alliance because  philosophy and principle (at least via hand shake and so far) has trumped PO expansion dollars. ACC, the B1G and the Pac-12, all have a majority of AAU member schools. Notre Dame is an AAU member school. When OU/TX and join the SEC to make it a 16 team league the SEC will have 5 out of 16 AAU member schools. In the SEC, sans a Vandy program that is there for the paycheck, athletics trumps academics.

In the SEC, 'if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin.' One guy at USC goes out of bounds and the Trojans get close to a death penalty. Ole Miss runs a play for pay program and its crickets compared to the manner in which SC was sanctioned. Oregon? Using a runner in recruitment? Oh no! No SEC school was using a runner? Tattoos for jerseys at Ohio State? No bowl for you. What do you think Tennessee's recent pay for play program will cost in sanctions?  The LSU basketball coach still has his job after being seen and heard on tape, buying recruits. Who needs these win at all cost charlatans and the hubris of 'It Just Means More?' Whatever means more, it certainly isn't academics.

There is nothing holding the Alliance and ND back from doing their own thing. Nothing! Nothing that says you are committed to play CFB and 'participate' in the Playoff because you have to contribute to ESPN's and the SEC's bottom line.

CFB was better and more fun before the BCS. Go to a Run For The Roses Tournament. It will be lucrative and it will be far more fun. The RFTR champ is not as good as Bama? Who gives a whip?

• Thumbs Up 4

The joke running through the commentary of the games so far today is that, "Alabama is favored by 51 over New Mexico State!"  The joke of course is that Alabama is playing NMS now. It does not matter if they cover. They didn't against LSU. and stayed at N0. 2,

Does the Alliance need Obi Wan ?

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Wikipedia

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If the Alliance and the other CFB powers-that-be cannot reach a going forward PO expansion agreement, I think the following format could be the way to go down the road? The SEC has dominated the PO and the NY6 bowls and has consequently received the big BCS/Playoff bowl payouts. No wonder the SEC wants a 12 team Playoff.

In light of the $ the SEC is pocketing every year, I think The Alliance conferences and Notre Dame could cash in sans the B12 and the SEC, to a greater extent than what they are receiving today? And what have they received from the so-called Playoff? 2 B1G teams have made the Playoff. 1 title.  2 Pac-12 teams have made the Playoff. No title. 2 ACC teams have made the Playoff. Clemson, multiple titles. Notre Dame has twice reached the PO, no titles. So perhaps this is not a great idea for Clemson ( at least the Clemson of not so long ago,) but for everyone else?

How about "The Run for the Roses Tournament?" Champ game played 1/1 in the Rose Bowl. 3 Alliance Champs are in. Along with 5 AL teams from the participating conferences and Notre Dame.  Sorry, but no pretend you can get in G5 participants allowed.

Using Week 2 PO Committee rankings, the following would be today's RFTR field:

1. Oregon Pac-12 vs 8. Wisconsin AL - Autzen Stadium

2. Oho State B1G vs 7 NC State AL- The Shoe

3. Michigan AL vs Wake Forest ACC - The Big House

4, Michigan State AL vs 5 Notre Dame AL - The Woodshed

As so noted above, quarter finals would be played on the home field of the 4 highest ranked teams. Semifinals played in a rota of Indianapolis/Atlanta and Las Vegas/Glendale. Title game played in the Rose Bowl on January 1st. My guess, NBC would want in to cover ND. B1G partner FOX would want in. CBS with the SEC taken away by ESPN would want in. And Turner and others, including ESPN, would want into the broadcast rights bidding. Does the Alliance and ND have any reason to continue to prop up the SEC? NO!

BTW if bowl agreements like Pac-12/B1G in the Rose Bowl and SEC/B12 in the Sugar Bowl do not violate antitrust laws. The RFTR would not violet antitrust laws. Post 2026, the B12, SEC and G5 are free to hold whatever post season tournament(s) they so desire. Just as they are today allowed to schedule OOC as they so desire.

The RFTR would be its own game within the great game that is CFB. It would help CFB to return to being a more regional than a national sport. It would cut off the SEC/ESPN cartel at the pass. Not to go Jimmy Lake on you all, but RFTR would be a PO among college conferences and an independent that still give a whip about academics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe this idea has merit and you can do so, please forward this on to GK and other Alliance stake holders. And perhaps forward this to Jon Wilner., Canzano and other Pac-12 scribes? If you do so, please leave my name out of it. The idea is far more important than  my bringing it forth (and others have likely conceived of the RFTR before I) and the idea has a better chance of being adopted if 'thought up by' someone with far more influence than have I. 

Don't want to expand your conference Alliance members? Fine. But you then best be thinking outside of the ESPN/SEC CFB cartel box. Paul Finebaum, the half P5/G5 B12, SEC and ESPN would likely think: "The RFTR Just Means Less?" Who in the heck cares?  Bank would be made and a modicum of academic integrity would be preserved.

I like your thinking here. So many "i's" dotted! I've said before, let's vote in co-commissioner Jon!!

Charles, you have connections, start sending this out! Start with UO president. 

On 11/13/2021 at 12:06 PM, DanLduck said:

Charles, you have connections, start sending this out! Start with UO president. 

I have pull for tickets, but not for this kind of thing.  Someone else needs to make it their mission, because I have one right here--serving everyone on OBD and keeping it free.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck