Charles Fischer

Cristobal's Recruiting Legacy Recently Discovered....

We all know here in Oregon how well Mario Cristobal has done in recruiting since he came to Eugene, but his impact has been still felt at Alabama and will be on display this Monday...

Mr. FishDuck

Very good, Mario, now get some great QB's & RB's to do their stuff behind those guys!

Darn right!  If we had a running back room as highly rated as the offensive linemen...  (how crazy is THAT to read!?)

Kenjon Barner KC.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

11 hours ago, 30Duck said:

Very good, Mario, now get some great QB's & RB's to do their stuff behind those guys!

Pretty good on the QB recruiting this year. Also a 4* RB.  We'll see what happens.

Perhaps an interesting question might be what might we glean from RB recruiting this recruiting cycle?

Looking at the most widely quoted recruiting source, Oregon offered 13 QBs (with probably 7-8 or so with solid offers), taking one.

For RB, it offered only 9 (and I'd guess only about 6 were immediately convertible offers).

One went to Clemson, one to Ohio State, one to Michigan, one Florida kid stayed home to Miami, Seven picked Oregon, and Oregon's got an offer out to the only West Coast RB it recruited in Cardwell (though Seven was in Cal before NY I believe).

Possible conclusions?:

* The staff must have some confidence in it's existing RB room and young guys.

* Maybe not a big year for RB out West.

* If Seven indeed is more of a DAT like guy, of the remaining 5 offers, 4 look to be a bit bigger kids/frames.

Possibly concluding?:

* The staff is working towards more sturdy RBs. It only appears this year to want a RB if it was an elite kid or bust, which might indicate not an urgent recruiting priority (which again might mean there is some good faith in Dollars and Benson soon).

4 minutes ago, AnotherOD said:

* The staff is working towards more sturdy RBs. It only appears this year to want a RB if it was an elite kid or bust, which might indicate not an urgent recruiting priority (which again might mean there is some good faith in Dollars and Benson soon).

You have great research and I respect your conclusions, but I will politely disagree.  I am a big believer in "Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early" as we saw with Freeman, Barner, LMJ, Droughns, (first game vs. Saban and MSU) and the list continues. If we had a great, elite running back between those two you mention--we would know it by now.  Dollars looks good, but he does not have breakaway speed of Barner, LMJ or Droughns for example.

We do not have an elite RB IMHO, and it is a recruiting whiff that is unexplainable to me.  I wrote about it before right here.

Reuben Droughns_John Giustina.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I hear that, which is why I'm a bit surprised RB doesn't appear to have been a bigger priority this cycle finishing up.

But: I would say Benson is at least a very interesting prospect and looks every bit like he could play at 6-1 and 220. I guess he broke his leg early in camp this year?

I'm going off memory but I believe he played smaller ball in Mississippi. Basically a two year starter who split carries with another RB who was also an FBS level prospect. They must have been killing people as he averaged only about 9 carries a game as a junior and about 12 carries a game as a senior, but rushed for 1,783 yards as a junior and 1,833 yards as a senior with 52 total rushing TDs. Crazy something like 14 yards per carry over the two years. (They were two time State champs). 

He might, might, might be a guy who flew under the radar a bit? And also a guy who needs a bit longer adjustment period due to the change in levels (though RB usually can be an early impact spot).

Finally, also not exactly an unknown, even as a "3 star", from GoDucks bio:

"Four-star, No. 259 overall prospect and No. 6 player in Mississippi by 247Sports … Top-ranked running back in Mississippi by ESPN and 247Sports … Ninth-highest rated running back ever signed by Oregon according to 247Sports … Consensus top-12 prospect in Mississippi by ESPN, Rivals and 247Sports … Rated as a three-star by ESPN and Rivals … Finished as the No. 27 running back overall and No. 1 in Mississippi in the 247Sports composite ranking … Tabbed the No. 2 running back in Mississippi by Rivals …Named PrepStar All-Southeast Region … Earned MAIS 3A District 4 first-team all-conference honors as a junior and senior."

Edited by AnotherOD

1 hour ago, AnotherOD said:

I would say Benson is at least a very interesting prospect

You make a very good case, thanks for all the information.  Great stuff.

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/8/2021 at 1:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Darn right!  If we had a running back room as highly rated as the offensive linemen...  (how crazy is THAT to read!?)

Kenjon Barner KC.jpg

Or the coaching offices to match the OL? Did you see Sark's play-calling in the championship game defeat the Buckeye's vaunted defense? The play-calling made OSU appear to be more holey than the Pope.